Oil Drain Plug.....What the Hell!!!.

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Oil Drain Plug.....What the Hell!!!.

Post by 1Gary »

Yesterday I figured it was time to change the oil on my D.D'er/shop truck.I had been driving around with the Wex filter in the extended cab back for awhile that was for it.It was down a qt,but between oil changes with a 4.3 5 speed with a aluminum oil pan and about a buck sixty on the clock I didn't think that was anything to be alarmed about.I get it up in the air and get under it with a ratchet and 14mm socket to pull the oil plug.Holy hell the drain plug was finger tight.Now damm it I know how I work and most certainly I did not forget to tighten the drain plug on the last change.In fact I tighten things like that more often just a-tad too tight.

The only thing I can figure is GM had a problem with the aluminum oil pans and the drain plugs loosing up that I am unaware of. )>) ](*,)

Once I got the oil drained,it screwed back in fine and tighten right back up with no leaks.

Guys,anyone have ideas about this??. #-o ](*,)
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Oil Drain Plug.....What the Hell!!!.

Post by Smiliesafari »

I think I would point a finger at the last person that changed the oil. There's never been a problem with the drain plug coming loose. More often the problem is tightening it too much. It's easy for us old guys to forget some of the details. Especially if we get interrupted from the task at hand. I've always been a detail oriented person so it's a bit embarrassing to admit that a detail I overlooked cost a customer an engine. I admitted that the mistake was mine and replaced their engine at no cost to them. It was a costly mistake but it was also a valuable learning experience.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Well, oil drain plugs are one thing I don't forget to cinch down. Won't say I never started pouring fresh oil into the engine and have it come right out the bottom though because I hadn't put the plug back in! :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Me too...Matt. More than once. ](*,) :yikes:
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

This thought occurred to me.In a intersection I drive over all the time there is a major dip.I guess the front springs aren't the best,but have what looks like a normal ride height.Acouple of times I drove over that intersection abit fast to clear the intersection before the light changed and it bottomed out.I just thought it hit the bump stops on the a-frames.There is no way the pan hit the way it is tucked up in there.The cross member would hit first.Maybe the vibe from hit loosen the drain plug.I'm going to check it today when I go back out to the shop.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY