No start issue after charging problem.

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

No start issue after charging problem.

Post by OKflyboy »

Here's the background: 2003 Chevy Astro 2WD. Driving the van to Tucson about a month ago the battery light came on and the voltmeter dropped to 12v. Turned around and got the van home though it completely drained the battery in the process. With a charged battery the van would start but would run rough with a flashing SES light and the voltmeter remained on 12v. It started a few times that way and now will turn over but refuses to start. I can hear the fuel pump prime and can smell fuel, so I do not believe its a fuel problem.

I work out of the country most of the time and have spent the last month in Canada. I've just had a chance to get to the van this week.

I know that a flashing SES light indicates a gross misfire and 12v when running indicates a charging problem. My code reader would not read any codes. For some reason when I plugged the code reader in it would cause all the warning lights on the dash to illuminate at once.

- Took the alternator to be tested and it tested bad. Replaced alternator with a brand new (not reman) alternator. Still nogo.

At this point the code reader started reading codes OK. Showed P0351 "Primary Ignition Coil" code.

- Replaced ignition coil with new coil. Still nogo.

- Had ignition control module tested and tested bad. replaced with new module. Still nogo.

- Replaced Cap/Rotor and plugs/wires. Still nogo.

- replaced crank position sensor - nogo.

Still showing P0351 code. Still will turn over but will not start. Unfortunately I have to return to Canada tomorrow so I'm out of time. I was really hoping to have this fixed for Anya before I left, but its looking grim. About the only things left that I can think of would be the ECM but I'm hoping for other suggestions before I go that route.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: No start issue after charging problem.

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Probably too late as it's been 9 days...

Check the ECM A and B fuses before replacing the ECM. Also put a fuel pressure tested on the schraeder valve under the dog house and make sure you have around 60 psi.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
OKflyboy
I am smitten with my van

Re: No start issue after charging problem.

Post by OKflyboy »

Thanks for the tips and sorry for not getting back to this right away. (I work away from home). I did get it figured out but it wasn't at all what I expected. It turned out that the splines on the distributor shaft had stripped so the distributor wasn't spinning! A replacement distributor and I was good to go...