What Model Years Dutch Door are Compatabile w/ a 96

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
astro99
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

What Model Years Dutch Door are Compatabile w/ a 96

Post by astro99 »

I need to replace the right side dutch door on my 96(had it bearly a month and someone hits me from behind). I saw an 01 at a yard, it was even the right color, except it has a different opening set-up. My 96 has a key slot at the licence plate that unlocks the door and the lift gate, it also has a button on the dash that unlocks the liftgate. The 01 has push button w/ key slot in lift gate that opens the the back. Is it possible to make the 01 work? Is there a range of years that would be a more direct replacement?

I was hoping to find a pretty much bolt on option. I would prefer a straight bolt off-bolt on that I had to be painted than deal w/ the frustrating, time consuming and jury rigging of "making it work"

Is there refrence where I can find a compatibility chart.

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: What Model Years Dutch Door are Compatabile w/ a 96

Post by CaptSquid »

All dutch doors are physically the same. The key in the 96 door is nothing more than a switch. You can swap out the plate frame with no problems.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

GnarliSafari
I sleep in my van

Re: What Model Years Dutch Door are Compatabile w/ a 96

Post by GnarliSafari »

Yeah 96 should still have the inside/dashboard located open switch whereas 98 or 99 up they have the exterior keyed switch mounted next to the rear wiper. But the switch could easily be removed wired in or drilled for if necessary.
99 SLT Safari AWD, G80/GT4 rear, Burgundy, 196,000 and counting (strictly AMSOIL) flowmaster 40series muffler no more cat, K&N Kone Filter, roll pan, 255/60/15 rubbers mounted to 15x8.5 inch American Racing Tailgunner wheels, billet grille, CB Radio, Alpine Deck, Shag carpet, the list goes on....
03 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, LB7 Duramax Diesel, 5 speed Allison Tranny, Crew Cab Long Bed, no muffler or cat, 4 inch turbo back and side piped. not too many other mods yet, also addicted to AMSOIL.