Buckets in place of Benches

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Buckets in place of Benches

Post by WoodButcher »

The stock buckets can be clipped into the pockets the benches normally hook into.
DSCF3061.JPG
DSCF3062.JPG
I used 1/4" x 2" for the front bar. The clip is cut @ 45 degrees. I marked the bottom of the clip drilled a 1/2" hole to get a radius then cut the bottom and the notch, then test fitted so I could cut to length. Drilled 3/8" holes at the ends, burned it together, cleaned with a grinder and primed.

The bar bar is 1 1/4" square tube drilled 3/8" at the ends and 1/2" in the center for a J-bolt.
I fabbed the j-bolt by cutting an old U-bolt from a helper spring and burning a piece of 1/4" x 3/4" bar stock 1 3/4" long for added length at the bottom.
The passenger side is centered, the drivers side needed to be offset 2 1/2" from center so the seat was not against the wall.
After the paint hardens I'll have them in with more pics.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Buckets in place of Benches

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Great Idea WB. !!
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Buckets in place of Benches

Post by WoodButcher »

Passenger side, I put a block on one side in the front pocket because the bucket unlike the bench doesn't have 3 other points to keep from moving side to side
DSCF3063.JPG
DSCF3064.JPG
Moose approved!
DSCF3067.JPG
Another adjustment that I would make if I did them again would be to make the front clip longer and then put thick washers or maybe a spacer 1/2 - 3/4" thick . The same treatment for the back with a longer j-bolt for the back. The cross bar hits the plastic carpet trim, by spacing the bar up there would be more pressure on the 4 feet. The seats are solid but I think time will deform the plastic.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)