Two questions on front suspension stuff?

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Two questions on front suspension stuff?

Post by Herbie »

Hi all. I've had a beast of a day wrestling with the front-left suspension on the van, and I'm putting up the bat-signal.

I've had a whole day on the CV joint (in another thread), but while I was in there I thought I'd do the ball joint relocation and upper arm knockouts. Which leads me to my two questions:

1) I've heard others complain about the two rivets for the ball joints. I ended up buggering the ball joint trying to get them out (replacing w/ Moog, so no loss), but still haven't been able to make headway on the rivets - my drifts and my 4lb sledge just aren't making a dent. Thinking of trying to press them out w/ my buddies press using a short pin of steel. Anyone tried this yet?

2) Is it possible my van doesn't have knockouts in the upper arm brackets? There's fairly long slots there already, and nothing that looks like it can knock out, nor is there enough material to widen the slots much more. Was there a change somewhere along the line?

thanks all!!!
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

thegreenmachine
I get chills without my van.

Re: Two questions on front suspension stuff?

Post by thegreenmachine »

did you cut the heads of top and bottom? I figured out that you had to drill almost right through.

and I don't think 03-05 has knockouts, but I have been wrong before....
2003 Chevrolet Astro 4wd np233c transfercase 245/75/16 ETS Trailermaster tires
ImageImageImage
Previous:
1995 Safari AWD (death by torsion bar. a.k.a. "the final straw")
1999 Safari AWD ( death by tree x2 )
1997 safari rwd cargo ( sold @ 450,000+ km )

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

I've only cut off the "tops" and have been trying to drive them out towards the bottom. I don't have a chisel or anything that will really do a clean cut - I used a grinder on the top portion (and sacrificed the OE ball joint in the process). I'm worried about damaging the arm if I try the same trick on the other side of the rivet, or try to drill any more (since I don't want to drill the arm and have had trouble centering on the rivet), but I may have to go that way if the press doesn't work (will be able to try that Monday).
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior

thegreenmachine
I get chills without my van.

Post by thegreenmachine »

got to get the bottoms off too, it'll relieve a lot of pressure that is keeping them in there.

I wouldn't worry to much about "nicking" the arm, I've done the tops on two different Astros and cut the bottoms with a cold chisel/ angle grinder with a cut off disk, available at any laps, or hardware store, got to drill 3/4 of the way through. and hit it hard. I used a 1/4" bit and 1/4" punch

I drove to Seattle from Chilliwack bc to do a lift for a member on that other site, and did the upper bjs as well, broke 5 cheap bits, and finally I went and got a good bit, went through no problem, used gear oil as a cutting fluid and went slow, if the bit isn't flicking up chips or metal sprials, the drill is going to fast. then hit is hard, actually broke my thumb while doing it. lol
2003 Chevrolet Astro 4wd np233c transfercase 245/75/16 ETS Trailermaster tires
ImageImageImage
Previous:
1995 Safari AWD (death by torsion bar. a.k.a. "the final straw")
1999 Safari AWD ( death by tree x2 )
1997 safari rwd cargo ( sold @ 450,000+ km )

Topic author
Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

OK, the MF'n rivets are out.

20T shop press just bent pressing pins. As stated by many, the only solution is to drill, baby, drill. Then beat on it.

After walking the bits while trying to drill on one side, even after bolting on the BJ and center-punching with a transfer punch, I ended up having to do the drilling with the BJ bolted on. I found a bit in my collection that was 5/16" OD but had a 3/16" "pre drill" on the tip, so it centered in the BJ but started a 3/16" hole directly on-center. Followed that up with a regular sharp 3/16" and drilling completely through. Leaving the BJ bolted on, I put a 5/16" punch in (and let the BJ keep it centered), then wailed on it two-handed with my biggest sledge. The biggest difference was probably that I finally found a way to clamp the arm in my bench vise that held it more steady while I beat it.

Now if I can just get the CV shaft fully inserted, I'll be ready to install the driver's side.... and start on the passenger side. :butthead: