WHOA! Play in transmission output shaft.

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
thunderheart
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

WHOA! Play in transmission output shaft.

Post by thunderheart »

My newly acquired '94 cargo has a wicked shimmy, particularly when coasting. Also I could hear a cluck when going into gear so I got under it and found some pretty significant play in the rear universal. I posted about it in the read end/drive shaft forum and was advised to replace them and that the yoke was possible separated and that might also need to be replaced. When I got under it today to take down the shaft I notice that the bolts on one side of the read ujoint clamp where backed out significantly and when I got the shaft out and could look universals the were actually fine. But since I was at it I figured I'd go ahead and replace them. But I also had noticed that the shimmy was very pronounced under the floor between the front seats so I reached up and grabbed the output shaft of the tranmission with my fingers and found this:

http://youtu.be/nVXMJ6DhEtk

:yikes:

Now that don't look right to me. Assuming it isn't I was wondering if that would be a simple bearing replacement that I could manage myself or am I looking at a total rebuild. The transmission shifts fine and all just shakes like all heck sometimes (a lot of the time actually).

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: WHOA! Play in transmission output shaft.

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

When you put the the slip yoke back in the transmission, is there a ton of play? If there is a little it's ok but a lot is not.

I don't know how the transmission output shafts are in there whether there should be some play or are they on bearings. Another member will have to answer that.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy