trans swap opinion

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
sturoc
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

trans swap opinion

Post by sturoc »

89 Astro auto 4.3 v-6.cargo 180k
Rides great and with no rust and fully carpeted inside has been a great camping and all around vehicle.
Although the gas mileage could be better As a 2nd vehicle its great.

The trans started to have that bad TCC symptom. It has been faithfully serviced over its 180k miles.
So I changed the fluid and put in a new filter and a TCC solenoid.
Upon installing the new filter It just would never get seated right and slip down to the pan.
and Yes I scrapped out the old ring seal inside the cylinder where the tube mounts into.So got it to sit okay put it all back together and...
the same problem: that lurching hesitation 40-60 mph
Doing all the tricks like tapping the brake and or downshifting don't really alleviate or isolate the problem
So I am thinking of doing a complete trans swap to a rebuilt 700r4 since i will probably put another 10-20 k on the van.

Is this a prudent preventative idea for future proofing trans problems .or
Should i have a trans shop look at it for 100+ bucks and tell me the same as what I'm thinking ?
Or perhaps they find a simple solution.
Your thoughts?

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: trans swap opinion

Post by doyoulikeithere »

:-k I love my 5 speed.
Aside from that, if you can afford an expert opinion, that you trust, it couldn't hurt.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I am not familiar enough with transmissions but with 180k on the original, I think it's probably time for a rebuild either way. That is a lot of mileage on a 700R4. Might as well save the diagnostic fee.

On second thought, how old is the tune-up in the van? I have seen many times on the newer ones with the 4L60E's that a misfire feels like a transmission messing up. A proper tune-up with AC Delco parts, cap, rotor, wires and plugs, usually cleared it up. The misfire wasn't enough to set the SES light either.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

180k is definitily in the range of when these trannies can starty having problems, so it maybe that it needs a rebuild, try the cheapest fixes first like Lifted suggested, if that does not work then take it to the shop and see what they say...