composite headlight conversion 2005 safari

General technical discussion and troubleshooting

Topic author
2000JIMMY
I am merely driving my van

composite headlight conversion 2005 safari

Post by 2000JIMMY »

I have read the post on installing composite headlights on 1999 Astro, however I am trying the same procedure on a 2005 GMC Safari.

Anybody know how to do this conversion to 2005 Safari? I have the composites and the wires with the plugs into the bulbs. The color of wires is not same from lights to van. I think I have tried all combinations of all wires but am unable to get it to operate properly. Most configurations I try, the high beam switch may not change anything in either position. Sometimes one light will be bright and the other rather dim. Sometimes the bright indicator will not change with dimmer switch position. Sometimes the dimmer switch does not change anything.

My van wiring for the right light has beige with white stripe , red and blue. Left has yellow, red and blue.

Both light assemblies have beige, green and 2 blacks.

Also, on each light there are two black wires. Which black wire went to ground and which one went to harness? Why can not both blacks just go to harness? This would be the same as the sealed beams are wired. If both light types are diagrammed, they will look the same.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I do not want to put the sealed beams back in the van.

Thanks.

Topic author
2000JIMMY

Re: composite headlight conversion 2005 safari

Post by 2000JIMMY »

Never mind. I got it figured out with a lot of trial and error, then a lot of thinking.

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

did you replace your grill as well?

post up some pics!
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Topic author
2000JIMMY

Post by 2000JIMMY »

I will have to replace the grill but I haven't located one yet. I wanted to figure out the wiring before I cut the van harness. It is a lot different than the posting on here for a earlier year van. I have got the wires correct and cut the harness and soldered in the light sockets for the composites. I mounted the lights and took it for a test ride after dark tonight. I am impressed with the light output over the sealed beams. I hope I'm as impressed with the looks after I find a grill. Those sealed beams are ugly.
Attachments
100_3081.JPG
100_3076.JPG
100_3065.JPG
100_3063.JPG

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

well, if you are interested in getting rid of your old grill when you find a new one, let me know. I have been looking for a Safari sealed beam grill but can't find one cheap enough.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I robbed the quad headlights from the Astro-mino for my '04 Cargo before I decided to see if I could rebuild it. I put the cargos std lights back in the Astro-mino when I decided to fix it and got some Hella brand lights with the good bulbs to put in them and the light is better than the Silverstars in my quad lights now. I kinda like the quad lights in the cargo cause to the best of my knowledge they were never even an option BUT its old style lights in the A-M are brighter now.
http://www.rallylights.com
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Bret Schmerker
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Bret Schmerker »

:cheers: Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've a related parts hunt. My 1997 Safari SLE shipped with the Guide/GM composite headlamps pre-installed (also true with the Astro LT and Safari SLT and SLX), but I need to drop the marker/park/directionals to where they are on all Astros (plus base Safaris with the H6054 sealed beams) and put in both an LE panel-body main grille (easy enough to source, as GM has some NOS left and they're commonly reproduced by third parties for purposes of collision repairs) and some black inserts as prep for relocating both the daytime running lamps and the front-flank reflectors. Who's a good source for the inserts mentioned above? I also anticipate wiring up a Pilot Automotive registration-plate illuminator to bring the machine up to revised code for California commercial vehicles.
1997 GMC M11006 (Safari SLE, 2WD, V6-4300/4L60-E/7.625" 3.73:1 open)
Acquired Jul 2018 / In service Sep 2018 - Nov 2022 / down due leaky valve(s) #5 cyl.

Chase1

Post by Chase1 »

so my son and i repined his low beams to hig beam bulbs (from 15w to 60W), and added a relay so the HI's and LOW's work together both 60w bulbs he loves it. we also added LED's to side markers.
Attachments
we also added LED's to side markers
we also added LED's to side markers
HI's and LOW's all on
HI's and LOW's all on
low 60w bulb
low 60w bulb