A problem nobody has herd of????

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
frazinator
I am merely driving my van

A problem nobody has herd of????

Post by frazinator »

Have a 2000 Safari RWD

Bought a few months ago and the shift from 1 to 2nd was hard so I just let off before the shift and it was ok. The guy said its been doing this for a long time. Happens hot or cold, driving soft or givin er. So I babyed it. Now I have no first gear unless I shift it there manually and its binding like the brakes are slightly on. Put the computer on it for diagnostics and it shows shifting into all the gears but when I take off its in 2nd. I have all the other gears including overdrive. It shifts beautiful otherwise. I changed the filter and ran new fluid in it. Any Help would be greatly Appreciated. Thanks so much.
Last edited by frazinator on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
frazinator

Re: Hard shift for awhile but now no first unless manually s

Post by frazinator »

Also, I bought a rebuilt 1998 van with the same tranny and Im told it wont work. is this true? Any info please...What can I do short of sending it out for a $1000 overhaul

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Re: A problem nobody has herd of????

Post by HPbyStan »

The electronics will be different. The '98 does not have the "tow/haul" feature and the 2000 does. You can't just use the '98s computer to work with the transmission because gm changed a bunch of electrical stuff between '98 and '99 so by changing computers your fuel gauge and temp gauge wouldn't work as well as the ABS. For any more things that might not work you'll have to ask someone else in the herd I guess.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Topic author
frazinator

Post by frazinator »

HPbyStan wrote:The electronics will be different. The '98 does not have the "tow/haul" feature and the 2000 does. You can't just use the '98s computer to work with the transmission because gm changed a bunch of electrical stuff between '98 and '99 so by changing computers your fuel gauge and temp gauge wouldn't work as well as the ABS. For any more things that might not work you'll have to ask someone else in the herd I guess.
Thank you,
So what Transmissions will work for mine? is there a specific type/brand of rebuild kit I should look for?

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

I THINK that 2000 and newer, you're good. They kept improving components as time went by But I think from 2000 on they all interchange.
edit; come to think of it, I believe the last few years have another speed sensor in the bell housing but all Astros from 2000 should work.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....

Topic author
frazinator

Post by frazinator »

Talking to a transmission guy and the dealer. They said only 1999-2000 will work and fit (plug and play) I was talking to another guy (old school back yard mechanic) and he said I may be able to use other ones and replace the electronics......I decided to just have it rebuilt. He said he can make it bullet proof lol.