Reliability

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
jc76
I am merely driving my van

Reliability

Post by jc76 »

I am new so please forgive me if this has been discussed a million times, I don't have time to scroll endless pages for my answer.
After a long time deciding what van to buy I came to Astro/Safari as my final pick. It was a very close tie with the Honda Odyssey because of reliability, but the Astro is a bit roomier so it won.
Now what I need to do is get some REAL feedback as far as reliability goes. My brother had a 96 Blazer with the Vortec v6 and it was a total POS. At 70k the trans went out, at 90k the engine blew up. After that endless failures. We take great care of our autos and swore to never buy GM again since Honda has NEVER given us any problems like this.
I hear we just got a "bad apple" and the Vortec is a great engine. I am willing to give it another shot and buy an Astro/Safari. But I would like to know what repairs are common and what inconveninces to expect.
I have been driving Honda and Suzuki for 15+ years and I can count my major repairs on one hand, but they don't make a van that I need. Any info would be great.
FYI- I am mainly buying to use for my journeys from Indiana to California and back and to convert as sleeping quarters.
It will be mine...oh yes, it will be mine

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Reliability

Post by CaptSquid »

These vans tend to eat front ends. When you replace yours, get Moog.

Use LT tires, not passenger car tires. They'll last much longer.

Use a 70% antifreeze mix. Do a thorough flush beforehand and replace the t-stat. Also, check the water pump and intake manifold for water leaks. Replace the serpentine belt, too. Cheap insurance.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
jc76

Post by jc76 »

Oh thanks!!! So should I use a good truck/suv tire? I wouldn't imagine using a car tire on a van. I would imagine that the Astro/Safari would use comparable parts to a truck since it's a heavy vehicle. Like I said I am used to Hondas they are light and easy to fix so going up to an Astro is like going up to a truck for me.
Can you tell me more of this front end repair?
My brother's first car back in 2001 was a 94 Astro, we loved that van he wasn't thinking and traded for that POS blazer but the Astro we always regretted getting rid of and now I want one bad.

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

You don't mention the year/mileage, but if it's over 100k, replace fuel pump - Delphi is OE or Delco. My 2004 has never let me down but I am also pretty maintenance conscious.

Capt, I don't know why you would recommend 70% antifreeze. Antifreeze is not a better cooling agent as water is more efficient at heat transfer than antifreeze. JC76 doesn't mention where he lives so sticking with the recommended ratio for your conditions is the best bet.

I agree with the Moog front end/suspension/steering parts.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Sorry.
When I heard you say you love Honda's, because they are easy to fix, you lost me completely....
I swore I would NEVER EVER buy another Honda Product. Been with GM ever since, Lol...
I guess that My Hatred for Honda Engineers will never die !
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
jc76

Post by jc76 »

I live in northern Indiana, but most of my long travels will be in the southwest (NM,AZ,CA).
I'm finding lots of AWD models for about the same price as the 2wd models, so I think I will go with AWD. I'm used to having 4x4.

CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

Stroverlander wrote:Capt, I don't know why you would recommend 70% antifreeze. Antifreeze is not a better cooling agent as water is more efficient at heat transfer than antifreeze. JC76 doesn't mention where he lives so sticking with the recommended ratio for your conditions is the best bet.
50% Antifreeze Water gives you :
-34ºF Freezeup Protection
265ºF Boilover Protection

PRESTONE Maximum Protection 70/30
-82ºF Freezeup Protection
276ºF Boilover Protection

This comes directly from http://www.prestone.com. Antifreeze alone is not a better cooling agent, nor is water alone.
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage

CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

jc76 wrote:Oh thanks!!! So should I use a good truck/suv tire? I wouldn't imagine using a car tire on a van. I would imagine that the Astro/Safari would use comparable parts to a truck since it's a heavy vehicle. Like I said I am used to Hondas they are light and easy to fix so going up to an Astro is like going up to a truck for me.
Can you tell me more of this front end repair?
My brother's first car back in 2001 was a 94 Astro, we loved that van he wasn't thinking and traded for that POS blazer but the Astro we always regretted getting rid of and now I want one bad.
These vehicles originally came with passenger car tires, resulting in early wear. A good LT (light truck) tire, preferably all-season, is definitely recommended. You should get around 60K on those types of tires.
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

CaptSquid wrote:
Stroverlander wrote:Capt, I don't know why you would recommend 70% antifreeze. Antifreeze is not a better cooling agent as water is more efficient at heat transfer than antifreeze. JC76 doesn't mention where he lives so sticking with the recommended ratio for your conditions is the best bet.
50% Antifreeze Water gives you :
-34ºF Freezeup Protection
265ºF Boilover Protection

PRESTONE Maximum Protection 70/30
-82ºF Freezeup Protection
276ºF Boilover Protection

This comes directly from http://www.prestone.com. Antifreeze alone is not a better cooling agent, nor is water alone.
Water is still much better at heat transfer which is why they are careful to say "no more than 70% antifreeze or cooling capability will be diminished significantly", because while antifreeze is great at holding heat, it's not so great at releasing it so system will operate more efficiently closer to 50/50.

The boilover temp is pretty much a wash and almost a moot point with modern cooling systems. My van will be shut off well before it reaches those temperatures if there is a problem.

Best to follow manufacturer recommendation (50/50 Dexcool for instance) and adjust for your climate. It's one of those things where more isn't necessarily better though a good way to use/sell more product.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander