Factory 4x4 transfer case option from factory?

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
vortecastro
I am merely driving my van

Factory 4x4 transfer case option from factory?

Post by vortecastro »

Hello, been a long time since I've been on here and/our done much with my van.... But I'm looking at purchasing a 2005 Astro that has already had a 350 Vortec TBI swapped in. As well the owner claims it has factory installed 4x4 pushbutton 4x4 transfer case as a factory equipment.
I never knew this was an option you could order, anyone else hear of this?
I've owned a few Astro/Safari vans, nothing currently on the road though, hope that's about to change.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Factory 4x4 transfer case option from factory?

Post by doyoulikeithere »

He probably means that the factory push button from the Vortec V8 Donor was also installed.
Its factory parts, from the truck, installed to look like factory installed in the van.
Just my guess...
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
vortecastro

Post by vortecastro »

From an email from him.
It is a true 4x4 and had the original gear from the van. Delectable four wheel drive was a rare option in astro vans. The front clip is from a 2005 silverado because front clips in astros were weaker. It can be switched to 2 and 4 high and 4 low.
Here's a few pictures of it.

And from the ad
350 small block Chevy
Vortec Heads
Throttle Body fuel injection
flowtech headers
true dual magnaflow exhaust
Lifted 7 inches, Bumper mounts adjusted to allow bigger tires
Brand new BFG all terrain tires
New Ultra rims
New Starter, New Front wheel bearings and hubs (both), New torsion bars
factory Push button four wheel drive
4l60e automatic transmission
373 differential gears
drilled rotor disk brakes the whole way around
All fluids changed every 5000km
2 year safety inspection
Do not have the rear seats for the van
More pictures can be sent to serious buyers. No low ballers please. Lots of money invested in this van. As the pictures show, the underneath is CLEAN!
Attachments
$_20 (1).JPG
$_20 (3).JPG
$_20.JPG
I've owned a few Astro/Safari vans, nothing currently on the road though, hope that's about to change.

Slicky
I get chills without my van.

Post by Slicky »

I don't know about a factory selectable t case but the sub frame looks like an original Astro .

Topic author
vortecastro

Post by vortecastro »

I agree it looks like my Astro sub frame.
What is "the front clip" from a Silverado he makes reference too?

Topic author
vortecastro

Post by vortecastro »

Hmmm, he doesn't say anything about the front axle.... so I wonder if it's an Astro/Safari full time engaged axle or one from an S10 or similar....

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

The seller is either confused or is feeding you a line. There is no front clip you can swap from a pickup. Astro=subframe; 1500/2500/3500=full frame. Looks like a Astro subframe with some lift tubes welded in. I'm not buying the factory 4x4 either; if they were out there, we'd have heard about them by now. Besides, if the guy is pushing a 2500 front clip, he would push the transfercase... again, feeding a line or not knowing himself. As for the S-10 front diff, you would need to see some kind of disconnect to make it work.

If the price is right, it does look like a decent van!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

That is a good looking van. Maybe its a COPO Astro :muhaha: (Central Office Production Order- Somebody in the office wanted a V8 w/ "delectable" 4wd...

Why do so many 4x4 sellers not list the tire metrics?
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
vortecastro

Post by vortecastro »

mdmead wrote:The seller is either confused or is feeding you a line. There is no front clip you can swap from a pickup. Astro=subframe; 1500/2500/3500=full frame. Looks like a Astro subframe with some lift tubes welded in. I'm not buying the factory 4x4 either; if they were out there, we'd have heard about them by now. Besides, if the guy is pushing a 2500 front clip, he would push the transfercase... again, feeding a line or not knowing himself. As for the S-10 front diff, you would need to see some kind of disconnect to make it work.

If the price is right, it does look like a decent van!
It could be set up with vaccum activated front axle with nothing showing in the cab other than the push button 4x4 switches....but the front clip bit has me wondering what he's referring to... are the front grills interchangeable? Or maybe the A-arm/torsion bar setup...I know the trucks have a full frame and the vans have the sub-frames, but can the IFS gear be interchanged? Other than that I can't figure what he could be referring to.

I don't think he's saying it was a factory installed V8...

The RPO codes should show the truths shouldn't they, they decipher what was installed on the van, right, even if was special order? Or do the RPO codes only cover factory line runs and not special order/installed equipment?

Looking through the RPO code lists I don't see a true transfer case as an option, does that 100% rule out the chance it was installed as an option from factory?

Topic author
vortecastro

Post by vortecastro »

T.Low wrote:That is a good looking van. Maybe its a COPO Astro :muhaha: (Central Office Production Order- Somebody in the office wanted a V8 w/ "delectable" 4wd...

Why do so many 4x4 sellers not list the tire metrics?
Is that for a for real possibilty, COPO??

"delectable"??? A good tasting transfer case? :muhaha:

Like to find out if he's the original owner, that could clear some of this up, if he's just going on what he was told when he bought it.

Anything I should look at/for when I inspect it.... that's if he comes down in price....I think it's worth what he's asking, I'm just tight on funds. What are your opinions of a good price... Only thing I can find from the description and pictures is the lack of rear benches (I've got a bench and a pair of captains - it had 2 benches, are the captain mount holes present in bench seat configurations?), and a slight blemish on the front plastic bumper/passenger side.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

I highly doubt the Copo idea, but you never know. I grew up near the Chevy truck plant in Flint Mi. Back in the '80s I had a buddy who was best friends with guys on the line. They took him down the line and let him order his own truck, so they built him an SS 454 4x4, vinyl floor, ,I leather seats, etc. a total custom order. (SS 454 was only a 2wd option, etc)
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
vortecastro

Post by vortecastro »

The rear doors show the Chev Astro designation, but the front grill says GMC, that's why I'm wondering if he is making reference to the front grill as I can't see any other front end body parts fitting from a truck, if that is even interchangeable... But then....if it's interchangeable....w where does the stronger comment fit?? :^o
Attachments
ad_2_1399909514427.jpg
ad_5_1399909514430.jpg
ad_6_1399909514431.jpg
ad_8_1399909514432.jpg
ad_9_1399909514433.jpg

Topic author
vortecastro

Post by vortecastro »

T.Low wrote:I highly doubt the Copo idea, but you never know. I grew up near the Chevy truck plant in Flint Mi. Back in the '80s I had a buddy who was best friends with guys on the line. They took him down the line and let him order his own truck, so they built him an SS 454 4x4, vinyl floor, ,I leather seats, etc. a total custom order. (SS 454 was only a 2wd option, etc)
Do you know if the RPO codes on the truck matched what went in that wasn't normal ( ie the 4x4 in a normally 2wd configuration)

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

vortecastro wrote:
It could be set up with vaccum activated front axle with nothing showing in the cab other than the push button 4x4 switches....but the front clip bit has me wondering what he's referring to... are the front grills interchangeable? Or maybe the A-arm/torsion bar setup...I know the trucks have a full frame and the vans have the sub-frames, but can the IFS gear be interchanged? Other than that I can't figure what he could be referring to.
Even if it has a vacuum activated axle, it would be easy to see with a quick inspection.

There are some brake parts that swap between the fullsize trucks and Astro vans, but I'm pretty sure that is about it. Given how long this van has been around, not to mention the Astro/Safari van forums, if there were some other swappable parts that offered any type of benefit, I can't believe it wouldn't be common knowledge by now. (For a lot of years I wondered if a lift kit for a full-size could be adapted since there seemed to be a lot of similarities. All of my research indicated the differences were enough to where it wouldn't be anywhere close to a bolt in.)

Yes, finding out if he is the original owner, or modifier, would tell a lot.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Salesmen are pond scum.
:vom:
It sounds like a GMC Composite headlight front grille (clip) on an Astro Van, and there is no difference in strength there !
Someone stuffed a V8 in it, (What Year V8?) and installed a selectable 4wd system, so that leaves you to look at the red tag on the transfer case and tell us what kind it really is.
Also, is the rear lifted with shackles, axle blocks , springs or what combination of the above?
The rest of his story is just that, his story. Take it with a grain of salt cuz you (& most of us) know better than he does, obviously.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.