Factory 4x4 transfer case option from factory?

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
vortecastro
I am merely driving my van

Re: Factory 4x4 transfer case option from factory?

Post by vortecastro »

Got a little more info, it's making more sense now. He's not the original owner, and the V8 was swapped in before he bought it.
I am not the original owner of the van, it has a vacuum actuated axle. the tires are 32 inch and the 350 was swapped by a professional before I bought it. the front grille is from a safari just because the previous owner liked gmc better than chevrolet symbols. the front clip is from a silverado (2005) the axles and hub assemblies are from the astro itself but the actual clip itself, suspension and torsion bars were from a silver ado. This is what the guy I bought it from told me.
I've owned a few Astro/Safari vans, nothing currently on the road though, hope that's about to change.

Slicky
I get chills without my van.

Post by Slicky »

There is too " that's what was told" for my comfort level. Sounds like the seller has no clue what he is selling.

Topic author
vortecastro

Post by vortecastro »

He was asking $6500, and has since lowered his price on the ad....hmmm... It's what I've been wanting to do to one.... But wasn't really ready to lay out the cash......uughhh
I've owned a few Astro/Safari vans, nothing currently on the road though, hope that's about to change.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Offer him a lowball.
Just cuz he doesnt understand what he has, doesnt mean there is anything particularly wrong with it.
He just doesn't know how to describe what he has is all.....
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
vortecastro

Post by vortecastro »

I don't know if it's low ball or not, but he said he would take my offer of $4500....I just need to see if I can scrape it together and get someone to drive me the 2-1/2hr drive to pick it up.

Slicky
I get chills without my van.

Post by Slicky »

Good luck , the price is right.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Price at $4500 seems pretty good but be careful! I say this because looking at the pics, it is all stock Astro stuff except the V8 and transfer case. The front "clip" is not out of a Silverado as the front suspension pieces are still Astro. The rear axle looks to be cobbed together at the spring perches and it looks like it probably vibrates bad at 65+ mph. Run it up on the interstate and accellerate hard. If it isn't smooth, knock the price down more as the rear axle is not pointing correctly. My guess is he hates driving it at highway speeds and goes through rear u-joints every year.

Look att he front diff from underneath. On the passenger side, do you see a solid tube that the CV shaft slips into? (My guess is yes) If so it is a stock Astro 7.25" diff and not a Silverado 8.25" diff which all come with an axle disconnect.

Here is a Silverado diff:

Here is an Astro diff. You will notice the long tube has no disconnect and the CV shafts slip into the housing rather than bolt up with a flange mount. From 1990 - 1995 they did use flange mounted CV shafts but the flange is smaller. This is a 1992 Astro diff:

Also take a good look at the rear axle - spring mounts. The stock mounts appear to not be used. Here is how a standard Overland Vans 4" lift (with add a leaf) looks when connected to the stock spring perches:

Look on the rear of the transfer case for a red tag. It will show you New Process Gear, Syracuse, NY and then stamped in it will most likely be 243(C).

Let us know how you make out! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
vortecastro

Post by vortecastro »

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5-HQYm ... =drive_web
Here is a video he sent me of the underneath....

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Actually looks pretty well put together. As for 7" of lift...not quite unless he is counting the tires as lift as well which would be then correct. The front diff does indeed have an axle disconnect but appears to be a stock Astro (modified w/disconnect) or S-10 truck diff. This is good as it is not a cobbed together mess. The rear axle looks to be stock and does indeed have the correct leaf spring mounts and clamshell. What I was seeing in the first pics was in fact where they moved the axle bumpstop up to. No problems there! The transfer case doesn't really matter as long as the tag is there and you can source parts later on.

Pull the dipsticks and look at the oils. The tranny is most important. It should be a nice pink or red color and not be brown or black and also should not smell burned or be gritty. When test driving, make sure the tranny hits every gear nicely. It should not slip into gear like a sloppy mess. Don't be afraid to pull the lever down to 3rd to be sure OD works as it should. If you can, put it into 4HI as long as you are going straight between 30 and 45 mph and make sure it isn't binding or grinding. Next I would find some gravel or grassy area and put it into 4HI. Turn the wheel a little bit and goose the gas. You want to try and spin the tires just a little. Right after that, get out and see if the front tires are grabbing as well. Now put it into 4LO and do the same. You are just checking every function to be sure what you are getting. When done test driving, leave it idling. Pull the tranny dipstick again and check the fluid. It should be warm but not hot. Make sure the engine doesn't overheat. Let it idle for a quite some time while you are looking underneath, over and around the van. If it has an electric fan, make sure it comes on.

That's all I have for now! :muhaha: Looks like a good buy! :supz:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
vortecastro

Post by vortecastro »

Thanks for all the input and help fellas, I decided I had to refrain from making the purchase for financial reasons, sucks, but no good to buy, just to turn around and have to sell it.