busted oil pan (ie waited too long to instal skid plate)

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Re: busted oil pan (ie waited too long to instal skid plate)

Post by Stroverlander »

I got to the point where I thought the pan was ready to come out except that when I lowered the front diff as far as it would go - until it contacts the nut on the pitman arm - there still wasn't enough clearance at the front of the pan to remove. With the motor mounts being worn, the oil pan has started to contact the differential slightly anyway so figured I would bolt the front diff and oil pan back in place and take care of the motor mounts first.

I picked up some Gates high pressure oil cooler hose, flaring tool and high pressure clamps to repair my transmission cooler lines. Yes, both oil and transmission cooler lines are much easier to remove with differential lowered!

This was supposed to be a budget oil leak repair to the pan and trans cooler lines but with being this involved, I decided to do the Energy Suspension 3.1145G motor mounts now to get it over with.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Just a quick thought..
If you still have not enough clearance, you can pull the 2 motor mount pins, put a jack under the trans and lift the engine up slightly till the pan can slip out.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Never had the pleasure of replacing the pan in an Astro but I did have to do the one on my 2003 Ram 2500 4x4 Hemi. The shop manuals as well as on-line all said I had to jack the engine up...little do they know I like a challenge! What I was able to do was lower the pan enough so I could reach in and unbolt the oil pickup tube and screen and the pan fell right out! Might be an option on the 4.3.

On the skid plate...have the shop cut and bend the plate and then drill the holes yourself. Very easy and much cheaper. Make sure you use counter sunk bolts at the crossmember.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Good tips. The other reason I'm doing the motor mounts before replacing the oil pan gasket is that I don't want to jack up the engine from under the oil pan with the new Fel-Pro gasket installed if I don't have to. I probably could get the pan out right now with a bit of work, but I'd rather let the old leaking gasket take the abuse if I have to support engine from there.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Well I got my "new" ebay pan and installed it the other day.
_MG_2716.jpg
Like others, I dropped the front axle as far as it would go. I still had to force the pan past the oil pump take up tube. This took a bit of force and slightly bent the pan baffle
_MG_2715.jpg
You can see the cracks inside the pan that we sealed up in the field with JB Weld
_MG_2714.jpg
I tried a "dry" fit with the new pan, but the baffle was again in the way, so I bent it down a bit and it slid right into place.
_MG_2718.jpg
New gasket, 2" of RVP at the the front and rear corners, torqued to 18 ft/lbs from the center out.

Just picked up two nice sheets of aluminum diamond plate from the scrap yard; skid plate time!
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

Good tip on the baffle, I'm just finishing motor mounts so that is next.

After seeing your oil pan cracks, I'm interested in seeing your skid plate!

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Stroverlander wrote:I'm doing oil pan gasket on mine right now and it's turned into that plus motor mounts (urethane), rebuild trans cooler lines and more... :yikes: :D

Are you expecting any noticeable increase in vibration from the polyurethane motor mounts?

I've traced my linkage bar rubbing on main pulley issue to worn motor mounts and decided to go polyurethane.

Since I can't work on my van any more, Jonnassen Motorsports is doing it, along with a "punch list" of things I'd like done, including skid plate. (Made more urgent by this thread,thank you! Edit: and by the fact that since I can't ride dirt bikes or mtn bikes or paddle anymore, the van is getting all of my adrenaline adventure fixation, it will be run harder than ever this last summer with the trails we have planned).

I think I'm going with dimpled skid plate material toreduce weight while maintaining strength. As long as the dimples are small enough to still guard against sliding down on top of a pointy rock. :yikes:

(You guys are going to shit when you see what else I'm paying him to tidy up for me. #-o )
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

what are you guys doing to destroy your motor mounts [-X ? Mine look and act fine...
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

I guess this...

http://youtu.be/R2kPrhGKUwg

http://youtu.be/xDxyDjkVZfY

http://youtu.be/icrnqpxe9TM

http://youtu.be/C5LAxcgG3nc

http://youtu.be/vdd2eMPdAK8

Too many super rocky roads? Idk...

My rubber is wasted. Any kind of tourque now and my linkage bar is rubbing big time on my main pulley. Motor and trans moving around way too easily. Never used to do that.
ImageImageImageImage

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

It's also worth noting that our vans are like 11+ years old now too. Rubber just ages in some climates, adding hard use will just exacerbate.

I'm chasing a whole host of issues on my DD right now because it's hitting that 13-year "all the rubber dies" age. Low miles, and relatively light use, but heat and age is getting it. First everything near the turbo went, then everything else in the engine bay, and now the suspension bushings, etc.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

I'm just trying to convince myself that I won't be diving deep into my van again any time soon!
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

T.Low wrote:
Stroverlander wrote:I'm doing oil pan gasket on mine right now and it's turned into that plus motor mounts (urethane), rebuild trans cooler lines and more... :yikes: :D
Are you expecting any noticeable increase in vibration from the polyurethane motor mounts?

I've traced my linkage bar rubbing on main pulley issue to worn motor mounts and decided to go polyurethane.

Since I can't work on my van any more, Jonnassen Motorsports is doing it, along with a "punch list" of things I'd like done, including skid plate. (Made more urgent by this thread,thank you! Edit: and by the fact that since I can't ride dirt bikes or mtn bikes or paddle anymore, the van is getting all of my adrenaline adventure fixation, it will be run harder than ever this last summer with the trails we have planned).

I think I'm going with dimpled skid plate material toreduce weight while maintaining strength. As long as the dimples are small enough to still guard against sliding down on top of a pointy rock. :yikes:

(You guys are going to shit when you see what else I'm paying him to tidy up for me. #-o )
I've been getting some vibration from the worn original motor mounts (I think...) so I don't anticipate being unhappy with the polyurethane mounts. With OE mounts no longer available and the aftermarket rubber mounts pretty much being junk, I don't feel like I'm left with much of a decision anyway.

Looking forward to seeing what you and your guy come up with this time!
photo_van wrote:what are you guys doing to destroy your motor mounts [-X ? Mine look and act fine...
Herbie wrote:It's also worth noting that our vans are like 11+ years old now too. Rubber just ages in some climates, adding hard use will just exacerbate.

I'm chasing a whole host of issues on my DD right now because it's hitting that 13-year "all the rubber dies" age. Low miles, and relatively light use, but heat and age is getting it. First everything near the turbo went, then everything else in the engine bay, and now the suspension bushings, etc.
Nothing crazy but like Herbie said, the rubber does deteriorate over time and both mounts have shrunk and deformed more than anything though the driver's side mount does have a crack in the rubber. I'll start a thread when I finish, been taking a break from van maintenance and devoting some time catching up on World Cup matches lately! :fball:

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

I've been working on my skid plate and I tell you what; if I was replacing motor mounts I would seriously consider raising the engine like Doyoulikeithere did. Lifting the engine just an inch will give basically 1 inch more road clearance immediately. 2 inches and it will tuck the pan up higher than the front diff.

I couldn't find any thread on how he did that tho; Mike?
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

That does sound like a good idea...but what devil is in the details?

Here's my noisey ass linkage bar rubbing on my main pulley on a routine semi easy hill climb because the motor mounts are too mushy.

http://youtu.be/0YbhFDnupRY

Next week the poly motor mounts are going in, and the body cladding is coming off. Sick of the rubbing. :toimonster:
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Ya Tom, that noise would have to go! I got dizzy watching that :rolleyes:
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710