Front End Help - Lower Control Arm

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
completetech
I finally get the smurf thing

Front End Help - Lower Control Arm

Post by completetech »

I am looking at now since I have been so busy with work and not changing the front suspension out (the strut has now broke through the lower control arm), that I get the lovely job of replacing the lower control arm. I seem to be having a hard time figuring out where to really start with this project as I can not seem to find much documentation. I am hoping that someone can give me some advice/pictures to help with this as this is my main (only) service vehicle and I will be down and out without it.

I am not sure what else I should look for as far as other parts I should also purchase and or replace at the same time. I know that I also have to do the brakes as well along with a long list of other things...

I am hoping to make some sort of a video on this once I get started on it myself as to help out other future members.

If someone could please guide me in this process somewhat by possibly linking some pictures that I may have not seen or something it'd be a great help.

Thanks,
Nathan

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Re: Front End Help - Lower Control Arm

Post by Stroverlander »

Awd or rwd?

Libraries usually have pretty good online access to repair manuals.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander

Topic author
completetech
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by completetech »

RWD

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

I've never done a rwd but it looks like you'll need a spring compressor and ball joint separator if won't separate with a few sharp taps from hammer.

Compress and remove spring, separate lower ball joint, support knuckle/brake assembly and then remove lower control arm bolts.

**Be very careful with the spring and spring compressor**

From FSM:
Lower Control Arm Replacement RWD

Tools Required
J 23742 Ball Joint Separator

Removal Procedure

Object Number: 164993 Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.
Remove the coil spring. Refer to Front Coil Springs Replacement .
Remove the lower ball joint cotter pin and the retaining nut.

Object Number: 130899 Size: SH
Disconnect the lower ball joint from the steering knuckle using J 23742 .

Object Number: 1862 Size: SH
Remove the lower control arm.
Installation Procedure

Object Number: 1862 Size: SH
Connect the lower ball joint to the steering knuckle.
Make sure the lower ball joint is properly seated into the steering knuckle.
Object Number: 164993 Size: SH

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the lower ball joint retaining nut.
Tighten
Tighten the lower ball joint nut to 125 N·m (90 lb ft).

Install a new cotter pin. Tighten the nut up to an additional 1/6 amount in order to insert the cotter pin through the lower ball joint stud. Bend the cotter pin ends flat against the nut.
Install the coil spring. Refer to Front Coil Springs Replacement .
Check the front wheel alignment. Refer to Measuring Wheel Alignment in Wheel Alignment.[/quote
Front Coil Springs Replacement

Removal Procedure

Tools Required
J 23028-01 Coil Spring Remover and Installer

Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
The lower control arms must hang free.
Remove the lower shock absorber mounting screws. Push the shock absorber up through the lower control arm and into the coil spring.

Object Number: 164998 Size: SH

Caution

Tool J 23028-01 should be secured to a suitable jack or personal injury could result.

Secure the J 23028-01 onto a jack. Position the J 23028-01 so the tool cradles the inner bushings.
Remove the stabilizer shaft linkage from the lower control arm. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Replacement .

Important

Install a chain around the coil spring and through the lower control arm for safety.

Raise the jack, under the J 23028-01 in order to relieve tension from the lower control arm bolts.
Remove the lower control arm bolts and the nuts. Remove the rear bolt and the rear nut first.
Lower the jack that is under the J 23028-01 .

Important

Do not apply force on the lower control arm or the lower ball joint in order to remove the coil spring. Proper maneuvering of the spring will allow for easy removal.

After all compression is removed from the spring, remove the safety chain and the coil spring.
Installation Procedure

Object Number: 165002 Size: SH
Install the coil spring and the insulator onto the lower control arm.
The insulators must be in place on the top and bottom of the coil spring.
Install the spring with the identification tape towards the lower control arm.
Align the edge of the coil spring with the edge of the insulator. Align the insulator and the drain hole.
The end of the lower spring coil must cover all or part of one inspection drain hole. The other drain hole must be partially exposed or completely uncovered.

Caution

Tool J 23028-01 should be secured to a suitable jack or personal injury could result.

Install the lower control arm into position.
Secure the J 23028-01 onto a jack.
Properly seat the coil spring into the upper control arm.
Position the lower control arm so that the bushings match up to the proper holes in the frame.
Install the lower control arm bolts and nuts.
Install the front bolt first, then the rear bolt.
Install the bolts in the proper direction.
Tighten the nuts, but do not torque.
Install the stabilizer shaft linkage to the lower control arm. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Replacement .

Notice

Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Install the shock absorber lower mounting screws. Pull the shock absorber down through the coil spring and align with the holes in the lower control arm.
Tighten
Tighten the screws to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Lower the vehicle.
Tighten
Tighten the lower control arm front nut to 90 N·m (66 lb ft), with the vehicle weight on the wheels.
Tighten the lower control arm rear nut to 90 N·m (66 lb ft), with the vehicle weight on the wheels.
Check the front wheel alignment. Refer to Measuring Wheel Alignment in Wheel Alignment.
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander