To the faithful........what can I say??.

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: To the faithful........what can I say??.

Post by Wiley »

My bad, haven't moved the van in months, which means I haven't found anything to bug you guys with that needs fixing, I am sure the list is growing regardless.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

dunedog wrote:hhmmm seems the body mounts have rusted away...imagine that !
lol same here man i pulled the front bumper off and was horrified, I found the answer to why the handling suddenly changed one day ](*,)
T.Low wrote:Edit: Just noticed I joined a week before Cobra.
it took me a little while to get over here when shit hit the fan way back when.....
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

doyoulikeithere wrote:
T.Low wrote:Wow, Mike, living the life, man!
Uh, yup, Thanks Tom. its an adventure.
If you ever get the chance, there is a really great road that goes past Whistler and Pemberton and comes out at Harrison Lake.
If you look for it there is a natural hot spring nestled high in the wilderness along the way. Beauty !
Livin the life , but I havent been to Sloquet Hot Springs in a heckuva long time. T'would be an easy ride on the KLR. :D

We're actually thinking about doing that, including Blow Down Pass and Molybdenite.

http://www.izaicinajums.com/search?q=blowdown+pass

Dunedog, i want to thank you again for stripping and shipping the cargo fender trim, I finally decladded and installed them!

ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

chesehd
I get chills without my van.

Post by chesehd »

I'm usually on several times in a week. I usually don't have much to contribute, I'm sorry to say.

I am merely the grasshopper, I am always looking to Master Po to guide me.

Fortunately for me, Master Po is frequently on this forum using one alias or another.

And no, kids, that wasn't a reference to Kung Fu Panda.

I wasn't even aware there were Facebook pages dedicated to the Astro/Safari lifestyle, prior to reading it here.

Yeah, I do recall a few names that don't appear on here anymore. Logan, FireCakes, Peter, Rebel, Trybe, DumbLady...sheesh...what happened to everyone?
Ken

2003 AWD
Back in the saddle on a new horse!

A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.

Slicky

Post by Slicky »

doyoulikeithere wrote:
If you ever get the chance, there is a really great road that goes past Whistler and Pemberton and comes out at Harrison Lake.
If you look for it there is a natural hot spring nestled high in the wilderness along the way. Beauty !
Livin the life , but I havent been to Sloquet Hot Springs in a heckuva long time. T'would be an easy ride on the KLR. :D
You have to clarify a heckuva long time ago. I took my wife in there a couple years ago after telling her how great it was" I used to go up there in the mid nineties ". Well you can drive a smart car in there now at least from the Pemberton end and it is usually quite busy. The first time I went there you had to drive through the creek to get to the springs and that kept a lot folks away. Now the only time you might get it to yourself is during the snowy season.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Slicky wrote:
doyoulikeithere wrote:
You have to clarify a heckuva long time ago. I took my wife in there a couple years ago after telling her how great it was" I used to go up there in the mid nineties ". Well you can drive a smart car in there now at least from the Pemberton end and it is usually quite busy. The first time I went there you had to drive through the creek to get to the springs and that kept a lot folks away. Now the only time you might get it to yourself is during the snowy season.
Back in about 93. Needed a jeep to get there. I had a CJ7. :muhaha:
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Slicky

Post by Slicky »

Yup it was a tough go back then. That said the west Harrison FSR is still a nice drive and I enjoy doing it every few years.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

I too fall into the category of lurker moreso than poster. Still check in a couple times a week. My van just keeps rolling along. I have a rust bubble coming up under the paint just behind the sliding door that's going to be addressed before winter and the cap+rotor on my desk at work for over a year :)
I gotta say though for and 11 year old vehicle with 220 thousand kms + she still gets the job done with confidence. 2 summers now pulling a 19' boat every weekend and launching at the gravel launch instead of the concrete one has made the AWD very handy to have !

Logan
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Logan »

I got a snow bear plow today for the 93 astro I got off bill 3 or 4 years ago. I haven't really driven it for over a year. Thought I would stop in and see what was going on here. I was surprised to see the home page so small. Ever since I wrecked my 02 work astro, I went bigger with an AWD express. And now I've remarried, we have six kids so we really went bigger with a 15 passenger Express. Every once and awhile i check Craigslist for some safastros. I still dream of building a 454 astro, but I've taken on so many other projects; Cindy would be mad if I brought home another van. I think this place also brings up some "not so fond memories " from my ex. I pretty much lived in my astro for 7 or 8 months. I remember posting pictures on here from when my daughter was born- she just turned eleven. Amazing how things change. Except for Gary. :cheers: :poke: :muhaha:
1988 Astro Shorty full cargo - 350 TBI - 5 speed
1993 Passenger 4X4 Astro 305 TBI V8 -2 speed transfer case 5" custom lift - Built by Lockdoc
2015 Ram Promaster City - work car
2004 AWD Express 5.3
2005 Express 15 passenger 6.0
1984 Beauville Full Size Sport Van- built TBI 355-electric fans- 4L60e 95,000 original miles
2001 International School Bus

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Logan wrote:Amazing how things change. Except for Gary. :cheers: :poke: :muhaha:
I'll drink to that ! Cheers Gary !
:cheers:

Topic author
1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Had a really bad day today.Turned 67 yrs old.Make it stop,make it stop......... #-o #-o
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Happy birthday Gary! :cheers:

I have been away all summer...camping mostly. Firecakes and I have been busier than hell with life. Ben graduated high school and we celebrated yesterday. He will be heading off to the Air Force when the call comes. Jess is engaged to be married in summer 2015 so we have been busy planning and setting up stuff. We did a bunch of insulating and air sealing on the house in June and the garden is providing lots of veggies we have been processing. Seems the tomatoes never stop growing! :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Happy birthday Gary! :cheers:

I have been away all summer...camping mostly. Firecakes and I have been busier than hell with life. Ben graduated high school and we celebrated yesterday. He will be heading off to the Air Force when the call comes. Jess is engaged to be married in summer 2015 so we have been busy planning and setting up stuff. We did a bunch of insulating and air sealing on the house in June and the garden is providing lots of veggies we have been processing. Seems the tomatoes never stop growing! :D
First off Happy birthday Gary... :cheers:

2nd off.... Congrats Dean on all the stuff going on, Ben to the Air Force, Jess getting married soon Holy smokes :yikes: but that happens when they grow up.

Say hello to everyone for me, take er easy :cheers:

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

1Gary wrote:Had a really bad day today.Turned 67 yrs old.Make it stop,make it stop......... #-o #-o
You dont want it to really stop ! I hope.
My Nana passed away this just this summer.
Peacefully in her sleep. She was 111 years old.

I hope you Have many many more very happy birthdays Gary !!

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

yeah seriously Gary you've got quite a ways to go before you get to the finish line

damn LiftedAWDAstro/Firecakes congrats, I remember when I first meet them none of this was in our sights.
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone