power steering pulley play?

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
daddywalt
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

power steering pulley play?

Post by daddywalt »

Long time stalker, first time poster. I have run into a few questions that I couldn't find just by searching. I have a 2000 Astro 2wd 160k miles all stock to my knowledge. I have been having some various road/ driving noises for the few months since we've owned the vehicle. Sounds kinda like an R/C car accelerating. At the time of purchase our friendly mechanic wasn't able to pin point any issues at the time, suspected possibly power steering pump and/or pulley tensioner. He pointed out some play with the pulley tensioner while it was on the lift and a possible small leak with power steering pump. No major issues at the time. Well over time the noise got a little louder and the other day my wife called me at work and said when she started the van it "made a loud whirring rubbing noise and smelt of burning rubber" I assumed the tensioner went and locked up. Sooooo when i got home, I started the van to hear the noise myself....no noise, no burning, nothing....wife and 4 out of 5 children confirm event so I assume it resolved. I took off the fan cover, and the belt, and tested all the pulleys. Tensioner seems rough and the power steering pulley had a little tiny bit of play.

My question is how much play(if any) should the power steering pulley have? Sound like the pulley should be replaced? The whole assembly? Could anything else be the culprit? Any suggestion for future repairs? I intend to do a 4" lift within the year ( probably in 8 months) any advice for preventing future issues while it is apart. Thanks in advance, you guys have an amazing community and I look forward to being an Astro owner for years to come :)

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: power steering pulley play?

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

It's been a while since I messed with the steering pump but from memory, there should be no play in it. Sounds like it is time for a tensioner as well as a power steering pump.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy