Intermittent starting issues

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO YOUR VAN NOT STARTING OR STARTING HARD IN HERE.

Topic author
marco10
I am smitten with my van

Intermittent starting issues

Post by marco10 »

Sometimes the van will not start. I am thinking ingnition switch problem but how to be sure? Dash lights/chimes come on but when turned to the start position ... nothing. I keep trying and eventually it starts. Sometimes it works in 1 to 2 mins, sometimes it takes 5 to 10 mins of jiggling and slowly turning the key. Could it be a starter issue? Worn key maybe? Please help.
2004 Astro, RWD, 3:73 axle/w tow package
LPD Tanny Cooler, Prodigy Brake Controller
Timbren Rear Springs

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Intermittent starting issues

Post by Rileysowner »

I don't have a solution for you, but I have a very similar problem with my '97. I has been sitting for several months and the battery ran down. I charged it, and all I get when I turn the key is hearing the fuel pump power up, the normal chimes and lights, but when turned to the start position there is a click and nothing more. No response from the starter. I thought maybe it was the battery, but even trying to boost it with my Silverado it won't do anything different. I hope someone has some ideas. Today is going to be rainy and cold, but tomorrow I will jack it up and see what I can see.

The last time I had a no crank situation, I also didn't have proper power, the chimes sounded really weird and a strange tickling noise. That was corroded wires from the battery. They are all cleaned up, and this sounds and feels completely different. Hopefully it is not a shot starter as I am selling the van and don't really want to be putting parts into it.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Could be something as simple as a bad starter solenoid. I've changed mine for the same reason.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Sometimes you can get the starter to work by tapping it with a rubber mallet.
marco10 wrote:Sometimes the van will not start. I am thinking ingnition switch problem but how to be sure? Dash lights/chimes come on but when turned to the start position ... nothing. I keep trying and eventually it starts. Sometimes it works in 1 to 2 mins, sometimes it takes 5 to 10 mins of jiggling and slowly turning the key. Could it be a starter issue? Worn key maybe? Please help.
It will be a pain in the rump, but if you have a helper and a volt meter, have your helper try to start it while you measure for voltage at the solenoid on the starter itself. Be careful as there is a large "hot" wire feeding the starter and you can short it out causing it to start unexpectedly.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

A follow up on mine, it was a completely toasted battery. I tried boosting and had the same thing happen. I was starting to think it might be the solenoid or starter motor, but decided to pull the batter from the car and try that. The battery didn't have enough juice to start the van, but it did have enough to get it to turn over, so I know the solenoid and starter are good. Finally found my multi-tester (put away where it shouldn't have been, and the battery tests out at just over 4v, so it is gone. I believe I got it back in 2011, so the 6 year pro-rated warranty should get me into another battery for a decent price. I will see.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/