ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
JayAs3
I am merely driving my van

Rear Doors won't Open

Post by JayAs3 »

Hi!
I really hope someone can help me! This problem has taken all the fun out of having an Astro.
I've got a 1998 RWD passenger Astro with rear barn doors. I've removed the bench seats and plan to convert the van into a stealth type camper van. A few months ago I unlocked the rear doors, pulled on the handle and found no resistance, that is it seemed the handle wasn't engaging any thing to cause the door to open!
Obviously the problem is inside the door but I can't figure out a way to get inside the door itself. The screws in the interior that hold the trim on are out of my reach when the doors are closed. I need to remove the trim to get inside the door. I don't know what to do!
I have a Haynes Repair manual and they do describe removing the trim from the rear door but only if the doors are ALREADY open.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Please help!
thanks!

JayAs3

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: Rear Doors won't Open

Post by Kidhauler »

Look in the exterior section of the forum I did a step by step write up on this years ago and it is pinned at the top of the section.

Good luck :)
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
JayAs3

Re: Rear Doors won't Open

Post by JayAs3 »

I ended up taking a box cutter and cutting the "carpeted" panel to access the mechanism that opens the rear door. Now that the door is open I'll fix the mechanism and then I'll remove the trim and repair (rebuild) the panel. Shouldn't be too hard. Just some backing board, insulation, glue, plastic sheet and a close match for the carpet.
Thanks for the help!
JayAs3