11'' brake upgrade

FROM STOCK TO WILD, BRAKE ISSUES AND UPGRADES GO HERE.

Topic author
mtrhead79
I get chills without my van.

11'' brake upgrade

Post by mtrhead79 »

i could not get on last week so here is a copy of what i posted on other van site,
i am working on amy new 89 safari and trying to fix somethings . the van was shaking at around 65mph on way home from buying it. check the wheel balance was ok , the rear drum on dr. side would not come off by hand when it was on lift. the self adj would not work and had to beat the drum to remove it. the brakes are a mess self adj is shot and wheel cyl is leaking and i went to put break fluid in and there was not any in the master for the rear break, filled it to find rear line is rusted and leaking. so i will be posting about the 11'' caprice brakes i will be putting on. i had a set in the shed from my 94 caprice wagon that i put rear disk on. just dropped them off at powder coater he is going to do the backing plates and drums and a spare diff cap i had . i have new wheel cyl. and shoes out back and i think i will only need to buy spring kit. will post pics as i start to work on it
john 79 camaro, 01 safari, 00 astro , 94 caprice wagon lt1, 89 safari gt

Topic author
mtrhead79

Re: 11'' brake upgrade

Post by mtrhead79 »

with the 11'' brakes can you still use the vans e brake cables? got my drums, backing plates, hardware and diff cap powder coated. i already had the wheel cyls and a spring kit in the shed that i never used for my wagon. i have to look tomorrow to see if i have the shoes. could not find them today but i swear i had them.
they are red but in pic look orange

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

the rear adjusters on the old vans are typically hosed out.
I've seen some really sad chinese replacement parts too, lol.
Good luck, post lottsa pics :)
Can you post the part numbers of the stuff you used, or the year/vehicle donor to look for.
Think I might wanna do this too !
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
mtrhead79

Post by mtrhead79 »

some days I hate my van. here is why. I took the backing plates off yesterday and today went to put new ones on that I had preassembled. they don't fit then it hit me I have the 11'' brakes off of a 94 wagon. the wagons have bigger axle bearings and I guess I should have gotten the plates from a sedan that had the 11'' brakes.so I figured since it was so warm I had to get something done. so I dropped the gas tank to run a new brake line that goes from under the front seat to the rear. I put the new line in and the rear rubber line. the floor support that runs from side to side was rotted out. it was filled with acorns and dirt. I will have to deal with that another day. so the new line is in and had to put the old backing plates and drums back on so no brakes for the rear again. here are some pics.
preassembled with new ebrake cables

rust hole and new brake line running past

new rubber hose

another rust issue over the rear where the snubber hits

the rest of the frame looks great the only bad spots. going to look at a parts van so I might have the parts to fix but it will take time. I will post part # after I am done once I know it all works.

does anyone know for sure what yrs I should be looking at for backing plates

Topic author
mtrhead79

Post by mtrhead79 »

got a set off of a 92 roady sedan. i had made a quick template from the van so i used it and i am certain these will work. need a little welding to fill in the groove the shoes worn into them