V8 swap question

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
PipelineVan
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

V8 swap question

Post by PipelineVan »

I'm pretty new here... but I seem to remember having read a post previously about swapping a v8 from the full size van of the same year into our vans? I have an 01 and I'm looking to make the swap with the least possible down time. If what i read was true, an L31 with the wiring harness, etc out of the full size is the right choice?

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: V8 swap question

Post by WoodButcher »

Yes. I just did my '93, a gen1.
Get the VIN from both vehicles and check the important parts, motor and trans, take the harness and everything else that may be useful. If you have space keep the donor till your done.
I cobbled my y-pipe from parts of both vans. I have dual exhaust but needed the y to cross over to the passenger side like the astro yet needed the collector end from the 350 to match the headers. I butchered a pair of new tailpipes to go up and over the axle and come out side by side in the stock location.

Air filters and intakes, dipsticks and tubes, oil filler pipes, motor mounts, trans mounts, lots of goodies you have on the donor van can be useful on the astro will need to get creative.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)