2003 vibration while stopped in Drive

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
bwcland
I am merely driving my van

2003 vibration while stopped in Drive

Post by bwcland »

Hello guys tried to do the due diligence in searching the forum for previous posts, great tips about motor mounts, may need to explain this a bit further.

Changed plugs to NGK Iridium, plug wires, distributor, and rotor, the change tips posted were fantastic, noticeable difference in acceleration.

One problem, while in Drive, after engine is warmed up, the idle feels low only when stopped in Drive, strange vibration, does not stall, but feels darn close to stalling, go into neutral, rpms up a little bit to comfortable feel. If on incline in Drive vibration worse, turn on the A/C (Miami, FL) vibration worse and lower rpm's slightly looping.

Took NGK's word for granted that the plugs are pre gauged and did not check them before install, was that a bone head move? ](*,)

The gap on the drivers side between floor and engine is so darn tight the plug wires may touch just slightly at that plastic slotted bracket could this cause it?

Could the infamous engine mount cause this low rpm while stopped in Drive? Tips to check the mounts?

Thanks!!

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: 2003 vibration while stopped in Drive

Post by Rileysowner »

I had something similar. It sort of felt like the rpm was down, although having no tach I could not actually say what was going on with the rpm, but it was not so much of a change that I focused on that. It was more the vibrations and that was the transmission mount.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I've had to change the transmission cross member mount on a couple of my vans. I would also check the gaps.

Have you cleaned the throttle body or ever used fuel injector cleaner? How's the cap and rotor look?
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
bwcland

Post by bwcland »

Thank you for the tips, will try each of these....process of elimination, something keeps me thinking about the distributor cap.....

Topic author
bwcland

Post by bwcland »

Wow what a difference new transmission mount makes, van was smiling in happiness.

Is there a recommended location to lift the engine when changing the motor mounts? Couldn't find mentioning of it in previous posts.

Youtube video shows a 2 x 4 on a jack lifting from this nub in the picture on the drivers side on the manifold, is that ok?

And it looks like this is only on driver side? couldn't see the same thing on the passenger side of the engine. thanks for all the tips, fantastic stuff.
:supz:

Stroverlander
I sleep in my van

Post by Stroverlander »

There are support flats on each side of the block. If your van is AWD, this may help: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9815
2004 Astro LT AWD Stroverlander