Vortech-> Vortech swap harness issues

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
mugsyville
I am merely driving my van

Vortech-> Vortech swap harness issues

Post by mugsyville »

:usa: Looking at making a 4.3 vortech to 5.7 vortech swap. It seems to me that most of the wire harness should be identical with the only snag being to F.I. wire hrness that controls the injectors. What would i need to overcome this problem short of changing out the entire harness?

cobra2411

Re: Vortech-> Vortech swap harness issues

Post by cobra2411 »

Jumping in for a response too. I've got a 2000 and was thinking about putting a similar year 5.7 in and was wondering about the extra injectors. I'm not familiar with the 5.7 Vortec's though, I've worked on everything else. Carb'd, TBI and TPI.

AstroWill
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AstroWill »

You could change out the harness, or you could add the required wires to your existing harness.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

AstroWill wrote:You could change out the harness, or you could add the required wires to your existing harness.
This.
When doing this swap you'll want the entire harness from the donor w/ the computer, lay the two harness out side by side and compare. Add what you need and remove what you don't.
Having the FSM for both vehicles will be a big help if not a requirement.

I did my '93 which is TBI, simpler but similar. I stripped the tape and split loom from everything, cleaned and inspected and adjusted for length. The knock sensor is different for one, can't recall all of them. Changed the injectors, in my case they are hardwired and added wire for the "big three" to the harness and put it all back together.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)