Not exactly new, but been inactive for a while

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
SteveTR6
I am merely driving my van

Not exactly new, but been inactive for a while

Post by SteveTR6 »

Coming back into the fold after a time away. My 2002 Astro LT (purchased new in July 2002) just called it a life after 209,000 faithful miles. Head gasket... I wasn't getting the White Cloud of Death, but there was at least 3 quarts of coolant in the crankcase. Having vowed never to attempt major engine work on this van (the whole "remove-the-van-from-the-subframe/engine" thing had me), I decided it was time. So I poured a bottle of Barr's Leaks head gasket in a bottle gunk into it, which seems to have fixed it at least temporarily. Tomorrow the old boy takes what will be its final trip with me, down the road to Carmax to see what they'll give me. I'm hoping for something in the wholesale range for it...
Meanwhile, since I wasn't planning to buy a brand-new vehicle, I couldn't think of a reason to buy a different kind of vehicle and go through the maintenance/service learning curve again. So I found myself looking for a newer, lower-mileage LT to bring home. After a little searching, craigslist turned this up:

Not the best shot, but it's all I have right now. It's a 2003 Dark Carmine Red AWD LT with leather 7-passenger seating set-up. My 2002 had everything BUT leather and AWD, so this one is the next logical step up. It only has 109,000 miles on it, was a one-owner vehicle, and seems to have been very well taken care of.
That said, within about a hundred miles of buying it, the left front caliper began dragging. I pulled it apart yesterday, hoping it was just sticky slide pins, but NO -- the rear piston was stuck out. So, 60 bucks later, it has a new LF caliper. Driving home (1 mile) from the parts store after returning the core, all of a sudden I had a mushy pedal and the brake light came on. Air bubble, I thought. Pulled into the driveway, got out and noticed a trail of drips behind the van. Hmmmm..... Jacked up the corner, pulled the wheel expecting to see a dribble from the bleed screw, and instead saw a lake under the gas tank :cry: Now I know why it was so cheap......
Another trip to the parts store (glad I work there and get a discount!) and I now have a few fittings and a piece of Cu-Ni brake line running down the driver's side to the bulkhead fitting above the rear axle. Still need to wrap it up and re-bleed, but we're getting 12" of snow right now and me with no way to put the van in the garage (too many motorcycles hee-hee).

So thus ends one Astro adventure and another begins
Steve
2003 Astro LT AWD, dark carmine red, newest family member
2002 Astro LT 2WD, pewter -- gone but not forgotten. head gasket at 209k did it in
1994 Astro CL EXT, traded at 150k for the 2002
2000 Jaguar XJ8L, wife's daily driver
1981 Goldwing, naked, my daily driver 8+ months out of the year
1980 Vespa P200, wife's toy

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Not exactly new, but been inactive for a while

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Very nice. With some apparently needed maintenance, she'll make you a nice reliable van.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

blitzin247

Post by blitzin247 »

Congrats on the new purchase, I know the feeling, Ive been there numerous times.
1999 AWD Astro -AKA-Stacia (work van)
completely stock..not for long

Previous Vehicles:
1996 Montero SR (sold)
1986 K1500 Sub (queen camper, sold)
2004 LB7 CCSB (Totaled but never forgotten)

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Nice van with LT trim it must have neat seats and map lights and compass etc.

The 6 lug wheels are 16" and the rear brakes are disc too.

I hope Chevy brings back the Astro with a direct injection V6 or turbo 4 or even diesel . Maybe a new Astro built on the Colorado truck chassis?
AP