FNG

Introduce yourself
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Southerngunner
I am merely driving my van

FNG

Post by Southerngunner »

Hey Everyone, I am an old guy with a new habit, I just bought my first Astro van , its a 2wd 1998 LT with 141,000 miles. It has a noisy rear end but unless it gets worse I'm just gonna drive it for a while the way it is. I replaced the battery and both rear tires with 235-75-15s , and I'm deciding what size to put up front because I'm toying with the idea to lift it some just to improve the looks and give a little better ground clearance for the desert.
I feel like I got a good deal at $1300 considering the overall condition and it has front and rear air that works great. I have been lurking the forum long enough to know about rule 6B so here ya go, let me know what you think, :cheers: :cheers:
DSCF9349.JPG
DSCF9351.JPG
DSCF9350.JPG
DSCF9355.JPG
Of all the stuff that I have lost I miss my mind the most.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Re: FNG

Post by Astrophysics »

Very nice interior. Power driver seat looks great.
And split bench seat super nice.
Does it have G80 posi rear differential?

AP

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

You stole that thing. Good for you. :cheers:
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Southerngunner

Post by Southerngunner »

Astrophysics wrote:Very nice interior. Power driver seat looks great.
And split bench seat super nice.
Does it have G80 posi rear differential?

AP
Yes it does and the gear ratio is 3.42 and both front seats are power \:D/ also both of the rear seats are a split bench
DSCF9352.JPG

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

LOL... rule 6b... have not heard that in a while. That's a nice clean looking van, welcome to ASV :cheers:

Topic author
Southerngunner

Post by Southerngunner »

astrozam wrote:LOL... rule 6b... have not heard that in a while. That's a nice clean looking van, welcome to ASV :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words and the welcome. I try to figure out what I'm getting into before I jump in and I know that No Pictures No Proof hence the 6B comment :partyman:

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Southerngunner wrote:
astrozam wrote:LOL... rule 6b... have not heard that in a while. That's a nice clean looking van, welcome to ASV :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words and the welcome. I try to figure out what I'm getting into before I jump in and I know that No Pictures No Proof hence the 6B comment :partyman:
With that mileage, the noisy rear may be the pinion bearing, my old 95 with the 3.42 rear went at around 190k so its something to keep an eye on if it gets much worse. The more I look at the pics the more I think the van was stored in a hyperbaric chamber :D most 98's up in Ontario have long since rusted away.

Topic author
Southerngunner

Post by Southerngunner »

astrozam wrote:
With that mileage, the noisy rear may be the pinion bearing, my old 95 with the 3.42 rear went at around 190k so its something to keep an eye on if it gets much worse. The more I look at the pics the more I think the van was stored in a hyperbaric chamber :D most 98's up in Ontario have long since rusted away.
That's what I'm thinking as well I had it up on a lift and the noise is definitely coming from the right side near the pinion. I am going to pull the cover next week and see if I can get away with a bearing kit . Since it has the posi I want to see what the gears look like so I can get all the parts at once.
The van has been in Arizona for the last few years and I have not found any rust at all yet. So far I'm happy I get the new front tires today and I will be going with 225/75/15 if they fit with rubbing any where. :-k

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

235 /70/15's fit up front without rubbing . i ran them on most of my astro's .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Howdy Southerngunner
Welcome aboard !
Damn Nice Score !
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Southerngunner wrote:
astrozam wrote:
So far I'm happy I get the new front tires today and I will be going with 225/75/15 if they fit with rubbing any where. :-k
I used to run 215/75/r15 and never had any issues, the 225's are just a smidge larger, shouldn't see any issues in day to day driving, perhaps in certain situations off-road they may rub a tad but it won't be any real issue. Heres a cool chart comparison http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tireca ... -215-75r15