My camper build

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
bootpack
I am merely driving my van

My camper build

Post by bootpack »

Hello all. Here is my 2003 Safari that I bought and built up last fall. Not much of an internet communicator, so never bothered posting until now.
I am not a mechanic at all, and have recently come across a mechanical issue that I could use some help with, but I will send that to the appropriate thread. But before I did that I just wanted to introduce myself and my van here. Used mainly for escaping into the mountains, it has gone on a bunch of great trips already.
the living room
the living room
the storage room
the storage room
the dining room
the dining room
the bedroom
the bedroom
the kitchen
the kitchen

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: My camper build

Post by WoodButcher »

Looks comfy!
welcome.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

A 5 room condo with an ever-changing view !
Sweet !
:supz:
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Welcome, BP. Outstanding job on the camper van. :supz:
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

okie1
I sleep in my van

Post by okie1 »

Very nice job, you did good. :supz:

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

A lot of great work there!

Welcome!

:cheers:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

As somebody who has spent WAAAAAY too many hours scheming on Astro camper interior builds, I'd love more details. In particular I'd love to know about the construction of the bench seat/bed. Do you use it for rear-seat passengers, or is it strictly for lounging when not in motion? (i.e. seatbelts and a proper seat back, etc.?)

I ask because I've gone round and round on how to have a bed in our van camper. I was all prepared to rip out my conversion-van seat and build a Volkswagen-westy style seat/bed (I even have german re-pro hinges in-hand, and I've sketched up all the measurements I need), but I'm still slightly nervous about putting my daughter on a rear seat that's mostly plywood. As such, I spent a little more time stripping my conversion-van seat back and I think I've found a way to make it work better for our needs (and still retain the safety built into it)
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
bootpack

Post by bootpack »

Thanks guys, I'm definitely happy with how it came out.
Herbie, regarding the rear seat: it is mainly used for lounging when parked. I went round and round trying to figure out a way to get a legal seat in there for passengers and also have the amount of storage I wanted, but just couldn't come up with it. The van even came with a foldable conversion van bench seat/bed, but it really would have limited storage. Since my wife and I are mainly a team of two, we opted for storage over seatbelts. We have brought passengers along and have sat in the back while driving - its not legal, but it seems to work ok (although if I had a daughter I'm not sure I would put her back there while driving). The seat is a little high so that it can accommodate my storage needs, meaning your head is up against the ceiling when sitting on it. A hightop or poptop would solve this, but so does leaning back against the seat back (plus I'm short so that helps). The cushions that lie in the middle portion of the bed fold up with a fabric "hinge", and I use this to make the seat back. The kitchen area is just an IKEA cabinet bolted down, and it is about 8 inches or so above the bottom of the seat, so with just some velcro on the back of this cabinet the bed cushions make a pretty decent seatback for leaning up against.
The set up is really pretty simple, way easier than the westy style hinge system you're looking at. All plywood seat/bed/table. When not in use the table sits under the cushion of the back bench, then when ready to go to bed it just spans a gap between the back bench and some storage boxes/seats immediately behind the driver/passenger seats. I would only recommend this design though if you are either using it for only two people or if you are willing to compromise passenger safety for storage.

crazyvanman
I get chills without my van.

Post by crazyvanman »

i have been mostly living in my van about 3 or 4 years now;(haven't actually been home since July 31st 2006); and i find i can no longer put up with; the moving stuff around to make a bed, then trying to stash the bed, to get at my stuff.
I have decided i am going to require a trailer to put necessities in. Along the "Safari Trailers style.
I usually have the roof rack full as well. I am trying hard to eliminate pretty much everything but emergency repair items and the clothes on my back, but even the bare minimum seems to require too much floor space.
I finally had to build the bed along the driver wall with drawers under the bed, and the fridge and microwave at the passenger rear fender well. Although i am 6'3" 232 it is just me and a "pretend" dog that is about 10" and 10 lbs; so it has worked out pretty good so far.
But i have decided i am no longer comfortable with anything on the floor except the dog.
My one "unrequited" fantasy is a pop up top so i can stand up and put on my pants.
Although it seems father time may take care of that problem for me. I have found i have to turn the dogs captain chair around so in the morning i fall out of bed struggle into his chair to take my meds, then sit there about 30 minutes till the pain pills kick in. lol :peep:
91 Astro EXT; never liked GM till i stumbled into this van. Free just for dragging it out of a field. Ran like a scalded cat, had 53K miles and completely rusted out brake lines. Been all over North America, lots of fire roads and no roads; fully loaded and towing constantly. Average 21 mpg. I recently (by accident) found out she now has 265,886.4 miles without so much as a tuneup, and only 1 oil change. And still no leaks. MAN I LOVE THIS VAN !

!994 Safari AWD

Tegnus

Post by Tegnus »

Cool build, really like it =D>
2004 Astro AWD, 90k miles, 2" Lift, 225/75R16 Cooper Discoverer A/T3, Tru-Cool LPD-4490 Trans cooler

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Looks good :cheers:

Snowgeek
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Snowgeek »

I like a lot of what you have done here =D> Starting to scheme how to use some of your ideas in my van now.

Ryan
2004 Astro (was AWD now 4X4) 125,000 miles: purchased April 2012
Colorado Camper Van poptop
4" Overland lift, Rancho 5000 Cooper AT3 245/75/16 C,
4x4 - NP236 Transfercase
Propex HS2211 propane heater
I am copying a few of you hope you don't mind!

See my build here

gnarly 928

Post by gnarly 928 »

Nice job.

A lot like what I will build, if I have to, but I'm just going to find a Westfalia interior on C.L. like I did for a passenger vanagon...I am a cabinet maker boat builder and I have done probably 6 van interiors over the years...all types and degrees of finish.. When I got that old vanagon I began to price and design but when I found the Westie interior, used on CL, I knew I couldn't even buy the materials for that...$300 was what I paid...Yes, it will take some fitting for my Safari...but it's all done, covered in plastic laminate that looks ok and repels dirt grease and scrapes, it has a tiny three way fridge and a sink and a two burner cooktop as well as a water tank..You can't beat them....\

I certainly could make one prettier, cooler looking and really fancy, but I don't think I could beat the utility they engineered into the one I got for so cheap.
Don Hanson