2" Overland Lift- Merry Christmas Astro!

Topic author
AstroWyo
I am merely driving my van

2" Overland Lift- Merry Christmas Astro!

Post by AstroWyo »

After about 8 years of gawking at lifted vans on the forum and asking lots of questions, finally did it. :guitar: It all came to a head when my 75k mile tires were officially spent. Shocks worn out, even leaky. And, to top it all off, my '87 4Runner's timing chain suddenly went. No off-road capabilities! What more validation could I possibly need? But, I have no time to do the lift myself- that was the only painful part. Had to pay my mechanic to do it. He was kind enough to not question my sanity out loud, but I could see the look in his eyes and another mechanic there turned his head quickly to see if I'd lost my mind. In the end, though, they wanted to sell me tires and labor so I said that, if we're putting tires on, they're gonna be taller. And, if they're gonna be taller, the van's gonna be lifted. It's just a 2" lift, but, after all these years of paying attention to what goes on here, for me, the 2" lift is the right way to go without a SAS. There's more to do. I need to trim the inner rear part of the front wheel well shield, want to change out the rear bumper/hitch setup for more clearance, roof rack, grill guard, skid plate, rear door spare mount, etc, etc. And wash her. Anyway, HUGE thanks to all who have shared over the years! Went with Overland rather than the custom work I've seen others do just to keep it simple for the 3rd party install and that worked out very well. The only part, according to the mechanic, that was at all tricky was keeping everything aligned during the front subframe drop. I didn't really get that, it looked easy enough to me, but I didn't do it and it all sounds easy till you do it. Thanks, again for this great forum and Merry Christmas to all! So, pics:
Attachments
Yokohama Geolander AT S XL 4ply not 6 ply, mostly road use, 235 75R15
Yokohama Geolander AT S XL 4ply not 6 ply, mostly road use, 235 75R15
Rear shock and Overland shackle.
Rear shock and Overland shackle.
Puck and cable bracket
Puck and cable bracket
Rancho shocks
Rancho shocks
Dirty!  Just picked her up last night
Dirty! Just picked her up last night

Topic author
AstroWyo

Re: 2" Overland Lift- Merry Christmas Astro!

Post by AstroWyo »

One more pic.
Attachments
Couldn't decide on white letters in/out.  Forgot to tell mechanic, he decided for me.  I think I like the subtle Euro-van look.
Couldn't decide on white letters in/out. Forgot to tell mechanic, he decided for me. I think I like the subtle Euro-van look.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Very nice! =D>
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

Welcome to the lifted club and Merry Christmas! :cheers: :guitar:
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.