Transmission Cooler

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

brokenwrench
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Transmission Cooler

Post by brokenwrench »

Meterpig wrote:So why did you buy a giant cooler if only to fight with the radiator.
At $250 for a extra deep pan, I think the cooler is far better bang for your buck.[/quote]

what, I sell them for $50

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

brokenwrench wrote: what, I sell them for $50
Gotta Link?

brokenwrench
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by brokenwrench »

I buy the Derale pan for about the same amount, but here is the B&M pan.

70289 - B&M Automatic Transmission Deep Pans

large/multiple images

$47.95

Transmission Pan, Deep, Steel, Chrome, GM, 700R4, 4L60, Each
Application Specific Part: Check Application

Part Number

Part Type

Automatic Transmission Pans

Product Line

B&M Automatic Transmission Deep Pans

Summit Racing Part Number

BMM-70289

Transmission Pan Material

Steel

Transmission Pan Finish

Chrome

Transmission Pan Style

Deep

Capacity Increase

3 qt.

Drain Plug Included

Yes

Filter Extension Included

Yes

Filter Included

No

Gaskets Included

Yes

Bolts/Studs Included

No

Temperature Sender Bung Included

No

Quantity

Sold individually.

Notes

Won't fit 2WD pickup or suburban (3 qt.).

kkesler
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by kkesler »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Tranny temperature gauge installation. (these pics are from the SPB but the 03 was done the same way)
Is that the standard universal pod from Auto Meter? That is exactly what I would like, that gauge and pod.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

The pod is one made for the Astro/Safari vans. They make a single and a dual version. Both the pods and the gauge I use are Autometer and I bought from EGauges.com.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

howso48
I am smitten with my van

Re:

Post by howso48 »

LaGrasta wrote:I just installed the very same Tru-Cool unit this past weekend. It was very easy and not nearly as messy as I thought it was going to be. Easily less than 2 hours tops.

Instructions called for:
Trans–radiator–TruCool–Trans

It was so much easier plugging into the lower radiator line.
Trans–TruCool–radiator–Trans

No harm from what I gather however I run the risk of not cooling the fluid to the max as the radiator may be adding heat before it feeds back into the tranny. Thoughts?
///So which line on the astro's (mine being a 97) is the return line 8-[ back to the trans mission :swords: (low pressure side)after it passes through the radiator top :butthead: or bottom ????/ Steve Please advise :prayer:

howso48
I am smitten with my van

Re:

Post by howso48 »

dragonvan wrote:Go to my Mods list or my Transmission Cooler install to see mine. I even have a link on my mods list page for a decent place to get the Tru-Cool coolers. The 4490 comes with the correct adapters needed for the late GM fittings on the radiator so you don't need to buy those separate if you get one of the Tru-Cool's.

Definitely tap into the top trans cooler line at the radiator. GM only recommends installing the cooler after the fluid flows through the cooler inside the radiator 8-[ [-o< . I have pics at the above links.
/////....//// So then, what your saying is the return line is the top line [-o< coming out of the radiator is that correct,every body I've talked to (Mechanics) :-({|= seems to think that on most transmission that the bottom :butthead: line is the return line to the transmission , [a Gravity thing]and do you think that my 97 would be the same as your 2002,also did you get your info. about what line was the return line direction directly from GM :whistle:

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Howdy,
when I did the 2 inch lift kit, i also installed a small cooler (see on the drivers side) which replaces the OEM power steering coolant tubing that was under the bumper on my 2003 AWD.

now i have Aux tranny cooler on passenger side and the aux power steering fluid cooler on the drivers side.

AstroPhysics
Attachments
aux tranny cooler on passenger side and aux power steering cooler on drivers side. the OEM power steering tubing was removed under the front bumper.
aux tranny cooler on passenger side and aux power steering cooler on drivers side. the OEM power steering tubing was removed under the front bumper.

LiftedAWDAstro

Re: Re:

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

howso48 wrote:every body I've talked to (Mechanics) :-({|= seems to think that on most transmission that the bottom :butthead: line is the return line to the transmission , [a Gravity thing]a
Well, If you read the thread through where I have pictures documenting the installation, you would see it is in fact the top line which you use. I looked in my FSM for the hydraulic flow and then verified the flow when the lines were used to flush old fluid out for fresh synthetic. It makes more sense to have the fluid remain in the cooler rather than flow back through the pump into the pan. This way you don't starve the valve body for fluid each time it's started. Most general mechanics really have no idea because they work on so many brands. If it was a veteran GM mechanic then you probably would get the correct info. Good luck with the install and take lots of pics!
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

howso48
I am smitten with my van

Re: Re:

Post by howso48 »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:
howso48 wrote:every body I've talked to (Mechanics) :-({|= seems to think that on most transmission that the bottom :butthead: line is the return line to the transmission , [a Gravity thing]a
Well, If you read the thread through where I have pictures documenting the installation, you would see it is in fact the top line which you use. I looked in my FSM for the hydraulic flow and then verified the flow when the lines were used to flush old fluid out for fresh synthetic. It makes more sense to have the fluid remain in the cooler rather than flow back through the pump into the pan. This way you don't starve the valve body for fluid each time it's started. Most general mechanics really have no idea because they work on so many brands. If it was a veteran GM mechanic then you probably would get the correct info. Good luck with the install and take lots of pics!
///Thanks LiftedAWDAstro for the input, I'll use the top line for the cooler , Steve

howso48
I am smitten with my van

Re:

Post by howso48 »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:It is a very easy job. I will be adding one to my '03 as soon as the weather cooperates. I am using a True-cool 11"x11"x1.5" stacked plate cooler. You will need to remove the grill and may have to make some brackets work. I did this on my 98. Here are the pics showing the location:

/////////I'm trying to install a trans cooler in front of the radiator/ to do this I have purchased 2 barbed fittings , one that threads into the radiator and the other that threads into the line, My question is how do I undo as to remove the line at the radiator as it appears to look like a late model fuel line connection ??? we'll the line stay stationary (not twist =; ) while I run the compression fitting nut counter clock wise out of the radiator??? 8-[

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

You removed the plastic clip around the fitting and you will see a small wire clip where the plastic piece goes over. Remove the little clip and the tubing comes right out. It is sealed with an o-ring.

Or you can just spin off the fitting out of the radiator. Be sure to hole the soldered in fitting while backing out the male fitting or you may cause a leak.
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

howso48
I am smitten with my van

Post by howso48 »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:You removed the plastic clip around the fitting and you will see a small wire clip where the plastic piece goes over. Remove the little clip and the tubing comes right out. It is sealed with an o-ring.

Or you can just spin off the fitting out of the radiator. Be sure to hole the soldered in fitting while backing out the male fitting or you may cause a leak.
////....///// I went to the nearest auto parts store to buy these clips new, they wanted something like $12.00 for a assorted size package of these things, I just told them to put'um back on the shelf ,that large sheet metal nut that holds the coolent unit in the tank in front of the of the line fitting, do you know what size it is , I'm trying to get every think together before I tackle this job ,and I'm thinking it would be nice if I could locate a line wrench big enough to hold \:D/([/quote] Be sure to hole the soldered in fitting while backing out the male fitting) it while backing the other one out to replace it with a barbed fitting ??? size does matter 8-[ :^o

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Tranny temperature gauge installation. I mounted my Autometer gauge in a pod on the A-pillar.

!

Finally decided to put a gauge to my trans cooler. I used the same TruCool as Dean, and want to use the same gauge and pillar paid mount.

At the risk of appearing google inept, I can't find the pillar mount anywhere. I haven't bought the gauge yet, cause I'm thinking that if I buy them at the same site, it will be enough to put me into the free shipping bracket.

Do you remember where you got them, Dean? Thanks.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

eGauges lists both the single and dual pods:
http://www.egauges.com/SearchResults.as ... mit=Search

They're listed as '95-'00, though I can't think of a single reason it wouldn't work on '01-'05 A-pillars.
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.