New Antenna for the CB ;p

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

New Antenna for the CB ;p

Post by phr1$k37 »

Well the Larsen antenna I had is super good and all but really after staring at the places for a fixed mounting point I could not concluded. Remember I use my Safari as a daily driver as well. Sanj mentioned a few neat ideas but again I thought of all the countless times someone might just be curious to grab a hold of a custom side mount and rip it off :(

So I ordered a Wilson Wil' Antenna and it seems to have done the job just right! Routed the cable along the door seals and into the cabin. Works like a charm!

97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

NotDadsW41
I sleep in my van

Re: New Antenna for the CB ;p

Post by NotDadsW41 »

Love the Wilson's! I've used nothing but Wilson 5000s for several year now. Love them, except for drilling the big hole in the roof...
CD_S
1991 W41
1995 Astro - Now gone, I am Astroless.
1997 C1500
1989 9C1 Caprice
1997 Bonneville
1998 Olds 88 LS
http://forums.b-body.org - newly updated!

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Wait, I'm confused. It looks like a magnetic mount and I know you do parking garages, but he said the "D" word. You didn't have to drill for that did you?
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

LOL - yes T.Low no drilling. I know what is on your next todo list :)
You can tuck and hide the cable behind the center console when not in use. That is the magnet mount one. If I have to remove it I can. I just realized though that is taller than I like ... worst case is that it will hit something, flip up and magnet to whatever is metal ... then I will be in some pickle :(
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

I've been thinking about adding a CB to Green, but don't want it to stand out.

Here's what I'm thinking of using.
Cobra: 75WX-ST

Firestik: AR-1A, Match-Maker, CB/AM/FM, CB Antenna Splitter

Wilson FGT Antenna

For the mount, I want to figure out something that will use the stock radio antenna location. I'm thinking some fabrication will be in order here.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Yes I thought about the stock location as well but was too lazy do forwards with a custom work around. I wanted something fast and done NOW! LOL
Hmm that cobra is very small! But it only does 4W output (at what efficiency?) vs my old junk at 8W or 13W (I have to check again). Does it have an AUX port to put to your stereo deck just in case it is not loud enough as well?

Bare in mind I think that CB Cobra you showed is basically a handheld with the adapter for the antenna on the end. There is one on Ebay for buy now at $40 ;p

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Ditto on the Wilson. I did extensive and exhaustive studies on my service van years ago, and the Wilson gave a better audio and slightly better signal than my KD-40.
One thing to those who haven't yet bought a cb but want something "better". Try for a mooded 10 meter ham rig. 25 watts on sideband, 12 watts on AM & FM. Literally 1000's of channels, and you can still stay out of the hammers band. The modded 10 meter rig will give you from 100 channels below CB channel 1, to 60 channels above channel 40 (which means roughly 28 Megahertz). Hammers don't ever bother below 28Mz, and you get 1/4 the noise you would on the 27Mz range (CB is from 26.965 to 27.405.
Sideband effectively increases your range by at least 25-40%, but there's less noise there to begin with. So even if you put out only 12 watts on SSB as with a CB rig, the frequency itself is so much quieter that it seems that you can talk farther. I've talked from my truck on top of a mountain to a base station in Montreal about 1-1/2 hour away. He sounded like he was just next to me. Mobile to mobile ranges of 25 miles are common if there isn't any noise or interference on the frequency you pick and if the area between the both of you isn't blocked by mountains. I'm telling you, SSB (single sideband) is the only way to go. A modded cb or 10 meter rig is the bestest!
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Holly Fart-Tarts!!! Peter! I did not know you were into radios! WOW! BTW as much as FCC isnt actively checking but with the 10m radios ... you do have to be licensed right?

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

That's become a bit of a joke these days. CB band has been de-regulated, both here and (as far as I know) in the states. If you buy a new modded 10 meter rig like the Ranger 2950, it'll run you maybe $500? The radio goes from 26Mz to 29.999Mz. You stay out of the 10 meter band (in other words, keep it below 28Mz), and no one will bother you.
Your biggest problem will be deciding at which frequency to match your antenna, seeing as a cb antenna is designed for a relatively narrow band. I always tuned mine for a perfect SWR up at 27.405.
Go on EBay and see what's out there. As well, alot of electronic stores and flea markets sell these modded 10 meter rigs brand new in the box.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

LOL Well that is the thing about my Larsen antenna ... it was for 27-30 range ;p But again I couldnt bother myself to find a good mounting point. The radio I passed one up a while ago for a lot less than it should have gone for - still kicking myself for not buying it to play with in the house.

Yes FCC dont do much as well they depend on local law enforcement to help them enforce their then silly and now reasonable rules. However I guess in my area they are concerned because I right by an airport?

Many folks here have scanners to tune into the traffic controller.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Not an issue. The only time that you will be hassled (and by that I mean you will simply be issued a notice to "cease activities") is if you're causing intereference to neighbors. If you're smart, you've already made friends with all the neighbors, even the PITA versions. Then simply call them up while modulating on a few different freqs and ask them to call you back if they experience any snowy tv images or interference on their radio/computer etc.
I've run 100 watt amps from my base station in a suburban area with only one problem. My neighbors garage door would open and close while I was modulating. Poor bastard, he thought he was losing his mind :muhaha: I was obviously causing secondary harmonics which can affect door openers, car alarms, tv's etc..
Pulled it back to 70 watts and everything was hunky-dory. But for all intents and purposes, a well-tuned radio running 25 watts on sideband shouldn't be an issue for anyone, especially with the advanced electronic filtering technology present in most of todays tv's/radio's etc.
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

peter wrote:I've run 100 watt amps from my base station in a suburban area with only one problem. My neighbors garage door would open and close while I was modulating. Poor bastard, he thought he was losing his mind :muhaha:

That's the Petey we know!!! :D Poor guy was probably ready to pack his bags and call the old folks home.