Ontario Drive Clean

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
Astro4x4
I am smitten with my van

Ontario Drive Clean

Post by Astro4x4 »

Hey guys,
For the life of me, I can't find the hot rod clause for Ontario Drive clean. Before digging in I want to make sure I can swap the 350 into my '98. If anyone has a link, I'd appreciate it.

TIA,
Dave
1998 GMC Safari
Still stock
220,000 kms

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Ontario Drive Clean

Post by potskie »

The hto rod clause is more for licensing / insurance and safety purposes. IIRC drive clean doesn't have one any more. So in other words the v8 would have to pass as well.

This is why I want to find an 85 or 86 safari so I can do a front end swap and such to make it look new but It wouldn't be covered by drive clean. Oh and starting this year they are getting even harsher on older vehicles and trying to force an upgrade program to A. get people to stop driving "polluting" cars and B. to help out the auto industry. Funny part is if you look at the statistics cars are only 1% of the total emissions in canada. Your furnace ( if it's gas) produces more emissions over the course of the winter than most peoples cars do.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

I am pretty sure they test it bassed on the motor... so if you had a 98 vortec 350 in your 98 astro it would get tested bassed on the motor.. If you can save the VIN from the donor vehicle... If it is a good running motor it should have no problem passing, if you get the swap done and you have a lot of trouble getting it to pass let me know, I am pretty sure I still have a connection for a couple hundred bucks to get it passed.
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

Topic author
Astro4x4
I am smitten with my van

Post by Astro4x4 »

Cool. I'm sure I won't have a problem passing as I'm retaining the fuel injection and emissions equipment and will install it as stock. Once I see what it tests out at, I may throw a cam at it.
1998 GMC Safari
Still stock
220,000 kms

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Or you could move to some place in Ontario where they don't do drive clean yet. I haven't gotten a drive clean requirement for any of our vehicles yet.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Rileysowner wrote:Or you could move to some place in Ontario where they don't do drive clean yet. I haven't gotten a drive clean requirement for any of our vehicles yet.
Pretty much anything north of barrie or most of bruce area. Like kincardine doesn't have drive clean yet. I'm thinking of registering my vans there as I have an address in kincardine :)

Topic author
Astro4x4
I am smitten with my van

Post by Astro4x4 »

Hey, Kincardine eh?! Yep I have an address there too ! Maybe time to head down to the MTO \:D/
1998 GMC Safari
Still stock
220,000 kms

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

Astro4x4 wrote:Hey, Kincardine eh?! Yep I have an address there too ! Maybe time to head down to the MTO \:D/
Last I heard ( in april) they still didn't and didn't have any plans for it yet. I havne't talked ot my family down there in a few months but It doesn't hurt to check I guess.

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

AFAIK we don't have it in Exeter.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

knucklehead
I am smitten with my van

Post by knucklehead »

ok i just read this thread and i will answer all your questions due to the fact that i am a drive clean inspector. yes any safari no matter what year it has a 350 it will be considered a hot rod. yes the 350 will have to pass but the safari will be put into the hot rod classifcation and the limitis are huge so you will have no problem passing.

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I know in B.C. if you have a v8 you have to meet the standards for the year of the van and the size of the engine. So if you put a 350 in a 98 you would have to meet 1998 350 standards. It should be the same kind of rules back east. You could always Email the drive clean program and get the exact right answer as to what standards you would have to meet.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Rockwerx
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Rockwerx »

knucklehead wrote:ok i just read this thread and i will answer all your questions due to the fact that i am a drive clean inspector. yes any safari no matter what year it has a 350 it will be considered a hot rod. yes the 350 will have to pass but the safari will be put into the hot rod classifcation and the limitis are huge so you will have no problem passing.
Thank you for helping out with this information. I am sure that our members will have a few questions for you. When we find out the hot rod classification rules for Drive Clean I will make the post a sticky for our Ontario members.

I am wondering if a well tuned carbureted V8 will pass if it is not too radical a build up (ie a high compression ratio and lots of cam). I am also wondering if many vehicles have passed without a catalytic converter.

Sounds like your project will be on track soon Dave! Good luck with your van!
1988 V8 Safari Panel
1985 V8 Astro Panel
1990 V8 Astro LT AWD Lifted
1988 V6 Astro Panel
1990 V6 Astro Panel
1991 V6 Safari SLT AWD bad engine knock
19?? V6 Safari SLT for parts

Topic author
Astro4x4
I am smitten with my van

Post by Astro4x4 »

knucklehead wrote:ok i just read this thread and i will answer all your questions due to the fact that i am a drive clean inspector. yes any safari no matter what year it has a 350 it will be considered a hot rod. yes the 350 will have to pass but the safari will be put into the hot rod classifcation and the limitis are huge so you will have no problem passing.
Nice, just what I was hoping to find out. Thanks for the info :supz:

Hey Pots, speaking of the Kin, are ya headed up for Old Boys Renunion ?
1998 GMC Safari
Still stock
220,000 kms

astrovan98
I am smitten with my van

Post by astrovan98 »

Here is the URL for Ontario Regulation 361/98, Motor Vehicles. http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/regs/e ... 0361_e.htm

If you read through it, you will find the catagory "hot rod" (I'm not kidding). Section 1, subsection 1 is Definitions. You will find the description of "hot rod" in this section. Farther down is a section entitled "Emission Control Equipment for Kit Cars, Rebuilt Cars and Hot Rods". Section 4 subsection 2 describes how the test is applied. I am in the process now of completing a 2005 Silverado LM7 5.3L into my 1998 Astro. According to my local (and hot rod oriented) Emissions Test Center, my 98' Astro regulations were pretty open as compared to the 2005 model engine, so it will easily pass the test. The later model engines are more efficient, and produce less emissions than our Astro's. They tell me that I will not even require a "hot rod" catagory, as the emission will be far less then the Astro ever was. The Catalitic converters ARE required.

Hope this is helpful.

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Welcome Astrovan98, and Welcome to the V8 club within ASV.
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc