What % tint is the factory glass on 2005 Safari?

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
2005Safari
I am merely driving my van

What % tint is the factory glass on 2005 Safari?

Post by 2005Safari »

Hi there,
I am new here & this is my very first post, so please forgive me if this is a) a redundant question as I couldn't for the life of me find the answer b) posted in the wrong thread.

Just bought a pretty 2005 Safari Santa Fe with no modifications. Was owned and pampered by a fellow outside of Pittsburgh. Love the look of the white painted exterior and dark tinted glass but realized today that it is sadly PROBABLY (?) not legal here in NY state. Which is why I am checking with all of you awesome people, who have been so helpful, allowing me to find all sorts of valuable information as a new van owner! Does anyone know what level of tint the front passenger and driver side windows would have been on the factory glass?

Thanks,
Elizabeth
Attachments
PXL_20240805_000448000.jpg
2005 GMC Safari AWD 4.3L V6

MountainManJoe
Sheriff
Sheriff
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: What % tint is the factory glass on 2005 Safari?

Post by MountainManJoe »

Welcome to the forum Liz
2005Safari wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2024 7:30 pm Just bought a pretty 2005 Safari Santa Fe with no modifications.
It's a conversion van which automatically means it's been modified. The rear window definitely isn't from the factory, for example, and the tinting was likely done at the same time.

New York state tint law: https://dmv.ny.gov/inspections/tinted-windows

To determine what's on your windows, it'll have to be measured with a meter. Call your local body or glass shops and see if they can measure it for you. Or just keep driving until you get stopped. Explain that you don't know, bought it this way, and maybe they'll just let you off with a warning.

WoodButcher
Deputy
Deputy
I sleep in my van
I sleep in my van

Post by WoodButcher »

Sound advise, I have an '05 but w/no tint. Loud 'n lifted but no tints! lol
Here in CT I know there are laws but they are blatantly ignored and only once in my lifetime have I seen them enforced. Working here I'm often in NY state and have had helpers running tints pulled over using that as a reason for the traffic stop. Don't be involved in anything illegal and a warning is not so bad.
Pretty van BTW, more pics! :up:
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'93 cargo, work in progress

sixsix
I am smitten with my van
I am smitten with my van

Post by sixsix »

Sweet looking Van on the outside... here's to hoping it's Sweet inside also.
Sometimes that wood has seen a 'better day'.
Pics are welcome.

And like the fellows alluded... factory Vans never had any excessive window tint. Conversions- they generally go out as an "Upfitter" type with usually no interior to speak of ( seats, carpet, sometimes vinyl wall units ).

Start looking for a reputable garage / mechanic now while the Van is running well ( making that assumption ).
With the age they are, things will undoubtedly "Get even Older, but Faster now".

This Forum has a "Scad" of Information ( the actual technical term ) that is a mere search or question away.

Welcome ! :banana:
1992 Astro LT CPI/W Motor
210K - Very Slowly Revived

Engine Compartment and Grill & Hdlight Bezel Tabs - Showing off !!

Topic author
2005Safari

Post by 2005Safari »

:heart: Thanks all! Looks beautiful on the inside too! Drives great and recently had the power steering lines and all of the brake lines replaced due to the unfortunate rust bucket underneath. I will post more pics soon. My kid (ALSO an '05) worked all summer to buy it. I trust him to drive it responsibly but will also look into taking off the front window tint as it is definitely a cop-magnet - especially in a college town.

This forum has already been suuuuper helpful!!! Example: I can't find the jack/ spare tire tool kit anywhere - and even looked under the fancy wall coverings behind the rear passenger wheel. I am baffled so it looks like I will be posting on a new thread about that :popcorn:
Attachments
PXL_20240803_151757982.jpg
PXL_20240803_151750959.jpg
2005 GMC Safari AWD 4.3L V6