Terminal Flatulence
36%

Total votes: 11

Topic author
CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Sleep Apnea

Post by CaptSquid »

Yes, I have it. Read about it. I was first diagnosed in 2004; the VA sent me a DIY kit to do the testing. Based on that kit alone, they said I had Sleep Apnea, snoring from almost the outset. It also turns out that Apnea can run in the family. So, I've been on a CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machine since then. It takes a while getting using to the beastie. At first, it feels as if you're being inflated. After the initial teething period, you find that you've never slept so well.

Well, just recently, I underwent the full blown test. I got wired for sound (quadrophonic, of course!). The technician who wired me and monitored me must've been taught by the Marquis du Sade. About 2 hours into the study, he came in and placed the mask on me and hooked me up to the BiPAP machine. After about an hour, he came out and cinched the mask down so hard, my eyes bulged! :yikes: The results of this test were relayed to me this Sunday. It appears that my O2 saturation dropped to 70% during the course of the test. Not a good thing. The lower your O2 saturation goes, the harder your ticker works to get oxygenated red stuff around your corpus delicti. The harder your ticker works, the less sleep you get, which results in lower O2 saturation ... can you see a pattern developing here?

As of today, I have retired Snuffleupagus Image and replaced him with Snuffy II Image. Now comes the fun part -- getting used to Snuffy II. I took a snooze this afternoon. The difference between the two is like comparing a normally carbureted engine with a fully-blown, nitrous injected hemi.

Boiled down, if your spouse complains of your nocturnal sound effects (the northern sounds, not the southern sounds, for which there is no cure), check it out with your local sawbones.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Sleep Apnea

Post by Smiliesafari »

I feel your pain, Dude. Cherie is going through the same thing.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Rileysowner

Post by Rileysowner »

For many people, at least those who develop major snoring and then sleep apnea as their age and weight increase, it helps a lot to loose weight. However, I would guess if you were a snorer from early on, even when you were young and svelt, then you are probably out of luck.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

I have the exact same machine you have pictured there in the first pic , i also was diagnosed in 2004 . running that machine for that long it has developed some problems . you say the difference between the 2 machines is like night & day huh ? i'm going to have to see about getting a new one . Cappy do you use just the nose piece or a full face mask ? i couldn't use the over the nose one , i felt like it was taking my breath away when i opened my mouth . probably has something to do with being a mouth breather , so i use the full face mask . its not bad once you get used to wearing it . & yes your right , what a difference in the way you sleep & feel the next morning .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

I have the nose mask. I couldn't stand the way the full face mask rested on my lower gums.

The new machine is a BiPAP. Same concept, but the pressure doesn't meander all over the place.
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage

THier
I am merely driving my van

Post by THier »

I too am a "hosehead" I was diagnosed in 2005, currently using A Respironics Bi-PAP auto (M series) I personally like the older model, humidifier is easier to fill, but either works for me. A cool and helpful site is http://www.cpaptalk.com

Tom

original_balzer
I get chills without my van.

Post by original_balzer »

My father has it pretty bad and just up graded to the bipap. Its funny how deep he sleeps with it on! All my life my dad would wake up at the slightest sound. Now when hes on the machine,(witch he doesnt do often enough still isnt used to using it as he was just diagnosed last fall) you have to practically crash a plane to wake him up.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

All the males in my family suffer from it. Matter of fact, I suffer from wake apnea as well. I often catch myself out of breath while driving. I simply forget to breath.
Sucks to get old :rolleyes:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Say, Captain
In your poll did you by chance mean Chronic Flatulence?
If you were to have Terminal Flatulence you wouldn't be around to vote.
Yikes, what a way to go.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

Topic author
CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

No, I definitely meant TF. We're all gonna die some day. As we get older, the flatulence comes more readily. Of course, being around some people (or animals) can be deadly, too!Image

Peter, forgetting to breathe reminds me of that cartoon with the big, dumb cat and the smart-a$$ parrot. "Breathe, Stupid, BREATHE! You forgot to breathe again!" Yes, I've done that in the past, too. GET YER BUM ON THE MACHINE!
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

I've heard after 50 you have to be careful, a fart is not always a fart.
I'll be 49 tomorrow, I think I'm not having anymore birthdays...
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

I don't blame you. For me, it all started goin' to hell after 45. One thing fer sure though. Every year, I look back at the previous year and realize I didn't have it THAT bad, :cry:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
CaptSquid

Post by CaptSquid »

Wait 'til you hit the big one. Then, you get to go into the Quack's office and he gets to "look up your old address." You'll LOVE that -- maybe. :yikes:
98 AWD Stro LS

ImageImage

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

You kidding me? I helped organize a high school reunion about 6 yrs ago. Turned out that a buddy of mine from school passed away in 99' from prostrate cancer. Same age as myself.
Well, I marched my then still-firm-and-taut butt to the family doc and insisted he perform "one of those" exams 8-[
Asked him to perform the exam the following year, though he insisted that it was unnecessary for a me due to my age bracket. Even insinuated that I was starting to enjoy the exam a bit too much (we've known each other for quite some time and always joke around :smurf: ).

I now go religiously for a PSA (or is that PST?) test every year. I was around 2.0 the 1st year and the results are pretty well the same so far. Dad had prostrate cancer at the age of 55, so I ain't takin' any chances. I do miss the ole digital exam though. Boy, those were great times.... :muhaha:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

- Thomas Jefferson

danlauer

Post by danlauer »

Give me a call Peter I can help you out with that. [-o<