Got Snow? (Yes!)

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Got Snow? (Yes!)

Post by mdmead »

I had a 'kitchen pass' and decided to escape to our cabin in the Blue Mountains of NE Oregon for a couple of days as I knew there was a lot of snow there. In fact, there is more snow up there now then there was during all of January and February. (It's hard to convince the 'girls' to join me in the winter as it is a hassle to get in and out. Their loss!)

I arrived around 2pm on Friday to a huge snow bank and deep snow where I normally park along the main road. Luckily some large-tired 4x4s had been through just before I got there which made my job easier. I still spent an hour shoveling so I could have a place to park without getting stuck. Here is the truck parked... on top of 3 feet of packed snow.

The cabin is about half a mile from the main road and here is how I have to haul everything in and out in the winter. It usually takes 2-4 trips, depending on if I'm alone and how much stuff I/we bring.

When I got to the cabin, I had to force the door open as the top of the door was rubbing on the door frame. I initally thought it was due to the wood swelling because of the high humidity. Then I got to thinking that maybe it was because of the snow load on the flat roof. I spent more than an hour shoveling it clear. That was the issue and the door was fitting much better! Of course the rest of the snow I didn't shovel will be sliding down shortly...

Here's a pic of the side of the cabin. If you recall the pics from last year, there was a collapsed deck hanging off the second floor. I pulled it down last summer and hope to replace it this summer.

On Saturday afternoon I took a ride out to my favorite overlook. I just love the views from this place. (Rebel, here are a few trees for you...)

In that last pic you can see my shovel hanging off the back of my sled. This is because I kept getting stuck down in 'tree wells' and had to dig myself out. Spring riding can be tough when the snow is wet and deep.

It was fun trip, but way to short. The snowmobiling was pretty good on Saturday, but by Sunday the big 4x4s had rutted up all the roads pretty good. They aren't allowed to play in this area until snowmobile season officially ends, which was on Apr 1st. I don't begrudge them for wanting to go four wheeling, but I was pretty disgusted with the beer cans and other trash they left behind. Hopefully they were a bunch of uneducated teenagers...

Unless we get a week of 60+ degree weather up there, I won't be driving in until sometime in May. (Last year I was able to take a snowmobile ride in early May still.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Got Snow? (Yes!)

Post by peter »

Awesome pics, Matt. Beautiful area you live in and I love the country cabin :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Life is good :bounce:
Thanks for sharing.......
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Beautiful part of the country and love that cabin but be sure to warn everyone of that first step out the second floor door. :yawinkle:
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Rebel wrote:be sure to warn everyone of that first step out the second floor door. :yawinkle:
Just need a bit more snow and that can be front door!
Matt
Selah, WA

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

:muhaha:

Now don't pull ,my leg but is that door for just that,,if snow gets that high you have a way out ? You have to understand, we don't have that problem here at the 96 and just don't know these things.lol
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Rebel wrote:
:muhaha:

Now don't pull ,my leg but is that door for just that,,if snow gets that high you have a way out ? You have to understand, we don't have that problem here at the 96 and just don't know these things.lol
Luckily the snow doesn't get that deep there! The deepest I've ever seen it was last year at around 5-6 feet. It was the first time I had to dig down to get at the entry door out back.

Our cabin is at 4,000 ft elevation, which is just in the snow-zone. The top of the mountain is about 5,500. While I had a good 3-4 feet on this trip, a local bed and breakfast up near the top was reporting 11 feet!

This winter did take its toll though. I noticed one of the 2"x8" roof beams in one of my sheds has cracked in two places. There isn't a lot of snow on it right now, but I'm guessing what happened is there was a couple of feet on it and then it rained hard and refroze, making for some very heavy ice. I'm going to have to replace it this summer.
Matt
Selah, WA

SoCalli V8
Retired
Retired

Post by SoCalli V8 »

Got any pic`s of sand and palm trees....? haha!

Awesome pic`s dude.... Thanks for postin` even tho I hate that cold white wet stuff....
`86 V8 Lowered Cargo, extensively modified, shaved bald, wearing the shortest, sluttyest white primer dress....

A British Wanker living in So KarlyFornia.
My Astro tows my toys to Glamis sand dunes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2pqjQtpso
First ever canal jump at Glamis http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXZjM84x_Xc

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

SoCalli V8 wrote:Got any pic`s of sand and palm trees....? haha!

Awesome pic`s dude.... Thanks for postin` even tho I hate that cold white wet stuff....
i bet if someone wrapped ya up good and put you on a snowmobile you'd
be lovin' it

mdmead: sure does look like some place i'd be able to kick back and relax at =D>
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone