What's after Safari/Astro vans???

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

sundanceuk
I am smitten with my van

Re: What's after Safari/Astro vans???

Post by sundanceuk »

Hi from the UK, I really thought I was on a f*rd forum with all the transit talk going on.
Take it from me the new transits can do just the same speeds as our astrosafaris, albeit sucking diesel rather that gasoline.
I have heard talk of a 4 wheel drive version at sometime but I think it is like the AS all wheel drive and not designed as a serious off roader (yes I know some of you have serious off road AS vans).

If you want more info about the transit try

http:/www.ford.co.uk/ie/transit/

hopefully that will answer your questions.

for me I will stick with american built vans
Cleverly Disguised As A Responsible Adult

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

I have heard talk of a 4 wheel drive version at sometime but I think it is like the AS all wheel drive and not designed as a serious off roader (yes I know some of you have serious off road AS vans).
I take offense to that insinuation. =; LOL I've taken my RWD across and through trails that my buddys old pathfinder 4x4 used to get hung up on and couldn't make it through. Then he bought a 4x4 jimmy and still couldn't keep up with some good throttle control and some decent tires. :muhaha: :muhaha:

My EXs dads AWD was a monster on the trails. I couldn't get it stuck trying unless I stopped in a foot of mud got out had a smoke and then tried getting going again. BTDT

The only thing that prevents people form doing anything hardcore in a stock van is the fact the want their rockers to stay attached since they are so low on the van. :yawinkle: Mines missing them HEHEHE
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

potskie wrote:
sundanceuk wrote:I have heard talk of a 4 wheel drive version at sometime but I think it is like the AS all wheel drive and not designed as a serious off roader (yes I know some of you have serious off road AS vans).
I take offense to that insinuation. =; LOL I've taken my RWD across and through trails that my buddys old pathfinder 4x4 used to get hung up on and couldn't make it through. Then he bought a 4x4 jimmy and still couldn't keep up with some good throttle control and some decent tires. :muhaha: :muhaha:

My EXs dads AWD was a monster on the trails. I couldn't get it stuck trying unless I stopped in a foot of mud got out had a smoke and then tried getting going again. BTDT

The only thing that prevents people form doing anything hardcore in a stock van is the fact the want their rockers to stay attached since they are so low on the van. :yawinkle: Mines missing them HEHEHE
Off road is cool, but I only want AWD (or 4x4, like my '91) because I live rural and have hills and curves to deal with, and have had issues in the winter. AWDs are also more stable in the rain, IMHO. My 4x4 sits at stock height with street tires, so does my wife's AWD. It looks lowered if anything.
I have to say, though, the lifted vans with big tires are really cool. Maybe someday.

sundanceuk
I am smitten with my van

Post by sundanceuk »

OK now offence intended, lets see if I can dig myself out of this.

What I meant was that from what I have been told the AWD on the transit is just that "All Wheel Drive" intended to give better road holding and grip in poor on road conditions.
It is not designed to take on the likes of Toyota Land Cruisers, Land Rover discoveries Etc, It will be barely dicernable from a 2wd transit outwardly.
For true FOUR WHEEL DRIVE transits then there used to be a company over here in England called "County conversions" who were Ford approved and did many convertions to 4wd for the Fire & Rescue Services, Police and forestry use, I don't know if they stil exist or if they do if they are approved convertors still.

I agree about 2wd getting into places that some 4WD can't, I used to have a 77 chevyvan with "Off Road Distributors" 3" lift kit, rancho shocks, General Grabber ATs 31, 10.50 x 15s tires and it would follow most 4bys most anywhere, except real stick stuff, where it would flounder a bit.

rlsllc
I sleep in my van

Post by rlsllc »

sundanceuk wrote: For true FOUR WHEEL DRIVE transits then there used to be a company over here in England called "County conversions" who were Ford approved and did many convertions to 4wd for the Fire & Rescue Services, Police and forestry use, I don't know if they stil exist or if they do if they are approved convertors still.
Over here we have Quigley 4x4 that converts vans to 4X4 and AWD, they also build right hand drive postal vans. http://www.quigley4x4.com/

Before Quigley there was Marmon-Herrington, http://www.marmon-herrington.com/ and there was also the Pathfinder Quadravan. It's cool that there were others across the pond. Thanks for sharing.

sundanceuk
I am smitten with my van

Post by sundanceuk »

Yep heard of Quigley, had a friend who had a G30 Chevyvan converted by them, lots of plans to customise it until some low life ripped it off one night, never to be seen again.

Also Pathfinder conversions too, County did similar conversions on Ford vans & trucks.

As I said not sure about who does OFF ROAD 4x4 convertions for FORD now.

As for the Transit Connect, not heard anything about a all wheel drive version.
It is definatley smaller than an Astro and it is front wheel drive.

GMs vans are not really GM designs over here in the UK, They have 2 full size vans the ViVARO & MOVANO, not got a clue why the who picked the names, but the Vivaro is also a Renault Trafic, or a Nissan Primastar, all built on the same production line just a french guy at the end sticks what ever badge he likes on the van as it passes by.

the Movano is a larger capacity van and is also sold as a renault Master van.

GM vans used to be Branded as BEDFORDs the last british dessigned van being the Bedford CF which was a scaled down version of the Chevyvan, about the same size as the Astro.
then they used Isuszu vans and Suzuki vans The suzuki was called a Bedford Rascal it was a true mini van with a 900cc engine, people said the rascal stood for "Really A Suzuki Constructed A Luton" Luton being the plant where these vans where assembled, the GM decided to get out of the truck & van market in Europe, this lasted about 7 years until they introduced the shared renault range as Vauxhall Vans to be sold via Vauxhall car dealers.

Topic author
Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

Update:

Just to advise that approx 4 weeks ago, my wife & I "traded in the Safari" and bought a smaller physical size Montana EWB van. Its got a smaller engine (re: 3.9 VVT instead of 4.3 Vortec) but its HP is much more then the 4.3L engine. Must be "new technology" design. Our Montana gets much better MPGs (especially on fast hiway speeds), is much more comformtable to drive, has faster "take off" and much better brakes. Being FWD, it even hugs the sharp corners much better then our previous Safari van. And, it fits between skinnier yellow parking lines. For our "long haul" family trips (happens 2 times per year), we'll have a little utility trailer connected to our mini-van. Thus, lots of room for our clothes and other stuff. For a picture, surf: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w251 ... ance-1.jpg

During my family's Safari van replacement search / analysis tasiks, we had to compare RWD, FWD and AWD design, internal cargo need, extra storage need, winter road traction need, better MPG need, ease of parking need, "fun to drive" need and purchase cost. In the long run, we're hoping the Montana EWB van is a good choice for us. Esepcially for my family's "slow and steady" city street and the odd "long haul" fast hiway driving needs.

Will let you know in a year or two how our new '09 Montana van is working - for my family's needs...

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

Glad you like the Montana. We tried it, and both my wife and I found the seats were too confining for our comfort. I also want RWD for towing if not AWD 4x4. If I were changing right now, I would probably be going with a crew cab pickup or a full size van as the Safari is exactly what I need, although a little more towing capacity would be nice.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Topic author
Spike99

Post by Spike99 »

Rileysowner wrote:Glad you like the Montana. We tried it, and both my wife and I found the seats were too confining for our comfort. I also want RWD for towing if not AWD 4x4. If I were changing right now, I would probably be going with a crew cab pickup or a full size van as the Safari is exactly what I need, although a little more towing capacity would be nice.
Yes. The seats are a little tight. But, the Montana bucket seats are more comfortable then the various "run abouts" we often drive. Thus, the Montana bucket seats (front and middle) are an improvement - from what we are used to. (giant smile). If wondering, I lowered the driver's seat 1.5" - which made it much more comfortable - for my longer torso. Many folks forget this improvement trick.

Luckily, we don't tow anymore. Well. We may tow a little 4x6 trailer to dump every spring and fall but as a general statement, no more towing for my family. If we wanted to tow anything serious, I'd flip $20 or so at my buddy. We would then use his F250 for serious "to the dump" or landscaping towing needs.

robertg

Post by robertg »

Rileysowner wrote:Glad you like the Montana. We tried it, and both my wife and I found the seats were too confining for our comfort. I also want RWD for towing if not AWD 4x4. If I were changing right now, I would probably be going with a crew cab pickup or a full size van as the Safari is exactly what I need, although a little more towing capacity would be nice.
my van's paid off next year. and there's been times where i've needed a pickup. i'm probably going to look for an extended cab or crew cab in a few years.

i can't find anything else that would suit my needs.

we'll likely keep both the vans, but i'll probably take the 95 from my in-laws and give them my 2000. that frees me up to convert that 95 into a camper later on. :D
2000 Astro 4.3 A4- b&m transcooler/autometer trans temp gauge. 171k miles
1995 Astro 4.3 A4- generic flowmaster muffler. 239k miles

mikedamech

Post by mikedamech »

My LT1 Astro gets 18.75 mpg on the last fill up. My wife's probably gets more with the 350 tbi. Here we don't have freeways only a highway that goes from 25 to 50, mostly 35 mph though. I invested about 600.00 into my wife's van to put the V-8 in.
98 Astro with a 95 LT1
94 Astro stock w/Flo master.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

After talking to some of the Courier Drivers coming in and out of the shop I think the next step after the Astro will be a Mercedes / Dodge Sprinter with seating for 5 and still enough room for a lot of freight.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I saw a Transit on the road when I went out for lunch today.
Sorry about the terrible shot. I took it while I was driving.
IMG00092.jpg