two wires unknown useage-anyone know?

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

two wires unknown useage-anyone know?

Post by markmitchinnh »

IMG_0344.JPG
On my 89 astro one is a black wire with a connector that runs down from behind the engine (see picture) the ohther is a small maroon wire that is taped to the large starter wires but does not attach to the starter it is about the size of a plastic coffee stirrer straw. I thought the black wire is the one wire 02 sensor wire but according to the book its suppose to be purple. Oh and when I turned the ignition key on the maroon wire shows 2 to 3 amps.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: two wires unknown useage-anyone know?

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Oh that must be the wires for the electronically actuated muffler bearings! LOL

That black connector looks kinda like the one that goes to the distributer that you are supposed to unplug when you are setting the timing with a light.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

its way to long to be that, it hangs down to approximately an inch from the ground but I will look
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Did someone tell ya to get the factory service electrical manuals for both the 95 and the 89,then bag parts and tag connections,then take pictures before taking it apart??. Who might that someone be??.Opps-that was me. #-o ](*,) ](*,) :poke:

Well I can only suggest and stand back to watch things develop. :-# :-#
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

LOL well I went from the stock 4.3 to the 350 then to a 95 4.3 since August so a couple wires got broke during all the swapping. I ordered a GM service manual with wiring schematics from ebay So if I can't figure it out tomorrow I will simply wait till it come in.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

markmitchinnh wrote:its way to long to be that, it hangs down to approximately an inch from the ground but I will look
So, is there a connector hooked to the distributer that looks just like that one? there should be so you can time it properly.
Who knows who has spliced what into the van that you got second hand. they aren't necessarily exactly the way the factory made them at this point.
Maybe someone screwed with the wires for the starter, I see that there should be a rst, blk and ppl wire to it. Maroon is a shade of PPL, and I dont see any maroon wires listed in the book.
Attachments
wiring.jpg
Last edited by doyoulikeithere on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

No there are two wire connectors going to the distributor one is a a two wire plug and the other is a 3 wire plug both are intact. I believe the black wire is to the 02 sensor as I said before because originally I cut the 02 wire off thinking I would got three wire anyway and I didn't see the connector as it was up in the frame and the 02 sensor itself was rusted into the exhaust pipe. The maroon wire may have been purple at one time as it appears to be heat damaged a bit but according to the haynes manual its not suppose to be there. What bothers me is when the engine is running it shows no charging on the gauge. So I will fix the other things , complete the electric fan install, and check everything twice while I wait for the manual from ebay. I also have no dash lights (this problem was there when I purchased the van) So another reason for the manual.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

not sure if you saw the pic I edited in , above.
Sounds like you have the normal 2 plugs on the diff. A few inches downstream on the bigger plug's bundle there should be a connector that looks a lot like the pictured one. If it isnt there it should be for timing.
But, onwards. I got to thinking about how you said they were close to or even taped to the starter wires bundle.
The O2 sensor uses 1 bright purple wire and its kinds weird wire too. On mine atr least.
Plus it located on the drivers side exhaust manifold (mines a 87) si if your is the same, I doubt that the wires would reach to the ground almost.
Sounds like theres been a few ghost in the wires already if it isnt charging and theres no interior lights. I would look really close at how the starter is wired up Bud.
Good Luck, Keep us informed......

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

There is a wire just like the one in my picture going to the distributor and it is still attached. this one is further down. The maroon wire is actually purple further down and follows the starter wires but stops at back of engine, it is not long enough to have been part of the starter harness so I believe it goes into something on either the drivers side or the distributor area. I will be searching the engine bay today with a drop light. No I have another problem: with a fully charged battery I have lights and all but starter does nothing when key is turned on so I have to trouble shoot that today first.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Both My 87s have a 1 wire O2 sensor, in the drivers side ex manifold with a bright purple wire. No other O2 sensors anywhere else, not in the ypipe, or anywhere...
That diagram I posted shows 3 wires that should go to the starter. 1 is a fusible link. charging and starting issues? I still think you should confirm your wiring of the starter among other things...

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

OK I will check it tomorrow, I fixed the starter problem it was a dead cell in the battery but still no charging at least at the gauge I will start it tomorrow and see it its charging via multimeter and let you know from there.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

ok the picture I had on here was the 02 sensor it is purple on the other end of the connecter and black after the connecter.
I should get the GM shop manual this evenings mail and then find out what the maroon /purple wire is for sure. I am still having a serious problem getting this engine to stay running and to backfiring through the TBI but I think its a timing issue and I will figure it out.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

The purple wire is still a mystery but it may be the cause of the backfiring I am going to open the harness cover and follow it to its attached end and see what it is.