Parasitic draw of .5 A

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
Lavey
I am merely driving my van

Parasitic draw of .5 A

Post by Lavey »

I have a 2002 Astro and there is a drain on the system when the key is off of about .5 A. When I remove fuses the 50A Battery fuse of the underhood block stops the draw and when I remove the 10A Radio Batt on the interior fuse block the draw stops. Lately we have been down to freezing and I am finding that the draw is enough that the van won't start at times. I am looking for advice on where to go from here. Thanks in advance,
Doug
'02 Astro RWD LT

sportbud

Re: Parasitic draw of .5 A

Post by sportbud »

From what you have said it seems you have found the guilty item yourself.Normal draw on this vehicle I think should be about 20- 25 miliamps. The radio requires power to keep the clock going and stations programed.If it is the radio either replace or take to a repair shop to be checked.I have been told that anything under 50 miliamps to be acceptable.I perform the draw test with a Fluke 88 DVOM and a battery disconect switch.Disconnect the battery ground cable and install switch between the cable and battery ground post.Conect the DVOM to the same .With the vehicle off and the doors closed wait about 20 minutes for PCM and any other modules to go to sleep then open the disconect switch and with the DVOM set on amps this should be your draw.If it is high start removing fuses until it falls.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

sportbud wrote:From what you have said it seems you have found the guilty item yourself.Normal draw on this vehicle I think should be about 20- 25 miliamps. The radio requires power to keep the clock going and stations programed.If it is the radio either replace or take to a repair shop to be checked.I have been told that anything under 50 miliamps to be acceptable.I perform the draw test with a Fluke 88 DVOM and a battery disconect switch.Disconnect the battery ground cable and install switch between the cable and battery ground post.Conect the DVOM to the same .With the vehicle off and the doors closed wait about 20 minutes for PCM and any other modules to go to sleep then open the disconect switch and with the DVOM set on amps this should be your draw.If it is high start removing fuses until it falls.
Thanks for sharing that testing method sportbud =D>

HPbyStan
I sleep in my van

Post by HPbyStan »

Advance Auto has a nice, easy to use, & inexpensive battery disconnect that I put on all my Astros.
'04 White AWD Astro cargo
'00 Astro / El Camino
'61 BSA Super Rocket
'71 BSA B50 engine in a '67 C25 250 chassis
Impossible is just a degree of difficulty....