Thinking of moving to California

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Re: Thinking of moving to California

Post by markmitchinnh »

Well I know I hate winter here in New England. I also know that even if the cost of living is high in California at least I won't have to shell out 10,000 dollars to heat the home as I do here in New Hampshire. As for finding a project if and when I move there I would love to find a pre 72 gm car to build and not have to worry about the smog stuff so much. Any ideas on where I might find something like an old Chevelle or Camaro or even a Cutlass or tempest?
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Send a msg to Darren Cole on FB.He can help you.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

markmitchinnh wrote:Well I know I hate winter here in New England. I also know that even if the cost of living is high in California at least I won't have to shell out 10,000 dollars to heat the home as I do here in New Hampshire.
You should switch to anthracite coal! We heat the house to 72 all winter for under $1500! It available locally all around NY, PA, and NH.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Hey lifted, that idea would cost us a fortune as we heat with forced hot air fueled by propane. This house has no chimney and just a crawl space for the furnace. We looked into other heating types and it would require a equity loan just to change over.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I bought my Keystoker Koker hot air coal stove for $1650 used, the chimney is a class "A" stainless one and with all piping was around $1000. Most stoker stoves can be direct or power vented for less than $500. The ductwork to tie the Koker into the existing oil fired forced air furnace was about $250. The ability to set my thermostat at 72 and sit on the couch watching TV in just my pj bottom...priceless! :muhaha:

Seriously, it would pay for itself in the first year even if you bought all new! The Koker with direct vent is about $3500 brand new. No need for a chimney! Then all you need is a bin to hold coal.

Lots of info at the Northeastern PA Coal forums.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

crazyvanman
I get chills without my van.

Post by crazyvanman »

It is really not that much more expensive to live in Cali. than most other states if you are comparing apples to apples. I have lived in Cali.,AZ.,TX.,TN.,KY.,OH.,SC., and NV.. If you are willing to live in a more rural area and do not have to work in the major metropolis you will find it hard to leave if cost of living is your only criteria. The difference will be ,minimal compared to some of the benefits. I came back to CA. because my daughter was hospitalized for 11 mos, and due to other problems have been stranded here for several months. I am on a fixed income and have found i actually have a bit extra money at the end of the month because i have yet to use the a/c or the heater, and because of the rural area my rent is the same as my rent was in small town TN. The problem is everybody wants to live on the beach. 80% of the population lives in a 5 mile stretch along the beach.
91 Astro EXT; never liked GM till i stumbled into this van. Free just for dragging it out of a field. Ran like a scalded cat, had 53K miles and completely rusted out brake lines. Been all over North America, lots of fire roads and no roads; fully loaded and towing constantly. Average 21 mpg. I recently (by accident) found out she now has 265,886.4 miles without so much as a tuneup, and only 1 oil change. And still no leaks. MAN I LOVE THIS VAN !

!994 Safari AWD