SportZ Mini-van Tent in use

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: SportZ Mini-van Tent in use

Post by mdmead »

T.Low wrote:Matt, I have friends out in Selah, Earl and Gloria Pearson. Their daughter Cindy is our age and one of our best friends up here. I'll drive out this summer, sip some lemnonade and talk Astro Van with ya. I can even get a wrench for you while you work on the van. You've been a lot of help to me so far. :)
You are welcome anytime T.Low.

(Petey, not so much....) [-X
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

peter wrote: #2 Matt has given me a hard time about my truck for the last 2.5 yrs. He feels that my
selection of engine is "inadequate", lacking in the cubic inch department. Therefore, I feel
absolutely no tendancy to show mercy when teasing him about the lifeless mechanical
corpse lying in his daddy's garage
Give me credit Petey! It's been longer than 2.5 years! :butthead:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

peter wrote:T-Low, lemme straighten up a few "misconceptions", ok?

#1 Your services, while needed and surely appreciated, need to be offered to the actual
wrencher. In this particular case, that would be Matt's wife. Yeah, I know....

#2 Matt has given me a hard time about my truck for the last 2.5 yrs. He feels that my
selection of engine is "inadequate", lacking in the cubic inch department. Therefore, I feel
absolutely no tendancy to show mercy when teasing him about the lifeless mechanical
corpse lying in his daddy's garage

#3 Last but not least, Matt's been sending me inapropriate pm's in which he has declared his
infatuation with me. An infatuation of a rather sexual nature, one with which I'm less than
enthralled. Be advised of this situation before "dropping by" to visit him

I'm done :D

:muhaha: I'm laughing too hard at the moment to be able to give any sort of sensible response! :muhaha:

I knew it was something like that, I know the motivations for a brutal smackdown well enough to recognize one when I see it. Still, if I can prop him up back on his feet and push him back into the frey...on second thought, maybe I'll just...why do I always feel the need to get involved?

So, nice tent 9Dawgs!
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

knucklehead
I am smitten with my van

Post by knucklehead »

i just finished readign this post and peter you r dickhead and i love it keep it up i love reading your smart ass canadian humor.

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

9dawgs wrote:It's basically a 10'x10' square. The website says it'll sleep six but I think that's a generous asumption. If you put six in there, there wouldn't be room for anything else. I think 4 would be comfortable and still have room for a cooler, packs, etc. All in all I believe it was a good purchase. If I had to do it over again I'd get the #83000 with the screen porch.
I just bought the #83000 online today. Do you think the extra long rainfly you have would work with this tent ? The original rainfly is a joke! Figured I'd rig a tarp for more protection.
Doesn't look like the long rainfly would work with screen porch attached.But maybe if a zipper or 2 was modded to it? Both models appear to be 10"x10" domes anyways.
Thanks for any input! Its time for some camping!! :supz:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Topic author
9dawgs
I sleep in my van

Post by 9dawgs »

snapple wrote:I just bought the #83000 online today. Do you think the extra long rainfly you have would work with this tent ? The original rainfly is a joke! Figured I'd rig a tarp for more protection.
Doesn't look like the long rainfly would work with screen porch attached.But maybe if a zipper or 2 was modded to it? Both models appear to be 10"x10" domes anyways.
Thanks for any input! Its time for some camping!! :supz:
Hmmm, not sure Snapple. I would give Napier a call and ask them. They should be able to help you out. But a good ole' tarp would work just fine \:D/ Of course it is kind of a drag to have to do that when you just spent $300 on a new tent...

I am soo ready to get in the woods. I didn't get a chance to camp at all last year due to a busy schedule, I did get some hunting and fishing in though so that was good. But it's time to go before it gets too hot down here!
Jim<><

'99 Astro 4X2, (RIP) 4" Overland Lift, 31X10.50/15 BF Goodrich AT T/A KO,
Rancho RS5000 shocks, Rockford Fosgate RFX9000, Red Top Optima, K&N Filter

'98 Astro 4X2 (SOLD)

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Thanks for the input. I seen a review today on Amazon that the rainfly is longer on the 83000,and thats why they don't offer a longer one for this model. Pics make me leary of that statement,but we'll see. I need it for this weekend,so thats why I ordered it before asking questions. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed! I'm also hoping you can attach the screen room on either side. Does the sleeve that attaches to the van allow you to put it on either door? If it does then it won't matter what side the screen room attaches. I have a awning that mounts to the roof rack on my van,and would like the screen room and awning on the same side. Like you said,can always rig a tarp.But after shelling out the cash,it would be nice not to have to! Happy camping! :cheers:
DHC Rock rails
Fiamma awning

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

you have the same one i do... if you have your van backed into it you're awning and the screen section will be facing opposite directions. i don't beleive the screen section and the vehicle section are interchangable but i've never tested that (might be possible from what i remember). the rainfly on teh 83000 is vastly superior to the previous models and i've had no preblems with it (anyone at neco last year can tell you we had some good rain) only leak was on the side that attached to the vehicle water would run along my roof and into the tent so i had to disconnect it (i'll fix that problem if i ever get to build my own Tramper(Cobra Spec) :muhaha:
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Cobra wrote:you have the same one i do... if you have your van backed into it you're awning and the screen section will be facing opposite directions. i don't beleive the screen section and the vehicle section are interchangable but i've never tested that (might be possible from what i remember). the rainfly on teh 83000 is vastly superior to the previous models and i've had no preblems with it (anyone at neco last year can tell you we had some good rain) only leak was on the side that attached to the vehicle water would run along my roof and into the tent so i had to disconnect it (i'll fix that problem if i ever get to build my own Tramper(Cobra Spec) :muhaha:
Must be you already had it disconnected when I was at NECO. I didn't even realize you had one of these tents! Glad to hear your happy with the performance in regards to rain! Have you used any seam sealers or waterproof sprays on it? In regards to the sleeve attaching options. I guess I'll find out soon enough.I just hope it gets here in time for this weekends trip! Thanks for the info! :supz:
DHC Rock rails
Fiamma awning

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

i actually hadn't sprayed it with anything. After the rain stopped a couple days before i left i did spray the rainfly while it was on the tent and around the zippers haven't been caught in the rain with my tent out since neco tho
I'm actually over joyed by the tent and my friends like it too (just thinking about this years neco put a grin on my face shame i'll be alone tho)
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator

1997 gone

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

Cobra wrote:I'm actually over joyed by the tent and my friends like it too (just thinking about this years neco put a grin on my face shame i'll be alone tho)
Your Dad's not going with you this year? I'm hoping to at least make another daytrip to NECO this year! :cheers:
DHC Rock rails
Fiamma awning

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

Now what the heck did you do ?? [-(

Why isn't the 'old man'...(John) coming ???????

What can't bend over to pick up his dropped beer can ?
Ribs weren't to his liking?
Afraid of Peter ? Afraid of Buddy ? What??????
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

PASSPORT ( i think that's the only reason)

oh he might b scared of cole too :yikes:

but seriously i just think it's his passport and doesn't know if he can get the time off
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator

1997 gone

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

You tell him he's been in confined spaces too long ........and needs some fresh air. :poke: eh!
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

afsigma21
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by afsigma21 »

9dawgs wrote:Summer camping in Florida is only enjoyable if you have a pop-up or other hard sided camper with an a/c. That is if you don't mind sweating and fighting mosquitoes all night long. I only camp in the spring, fall, and winter
Not True - I invented a rig that allows you to use a Window A/C for your tent. I have a 10 man tent and it keeps it a comfortable 74 degrees in 90 degree sun (this was in Ohio and KY when I tested it). I am sure it would work just as well in Florida. The only requirement is that your tent has 2 doors, or you will be undoing the A/C everytime you enter. The side benefit is the white noise that helps drowned out other campers and allows you to sleep.

Let me know if anyone wants to rip my idea off, I am happy to share.