Attachments
drivers side bracket.jpg

Topic author
Spdcrazy
I am merely driving my van

Re: Exo cage?

Post by Spdcrazy »

Did you feel a difference when you did this?

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

perhaps a bit stiffer. But my main goal was to increase side impact crash protection. The bolted assembly of course can twist. If it were welded, it would be stiffer.
The 2x2 is very stiff and there is no flex in the Manik nerf steps when you stand on them. The nerf bar is connected with the uni strut wing fitting.

There was another welded part on Astro side for a rear leaf spring hanger that was welded to subframe. I found several existing OEM holes in sub frame and used the thin wire on the threads trick to pull the bolt into the frame and attach the bracket with hex nut.

AP
Attachments
IMG_2778.JPG

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

more
Attachments
IMG_2779.JPG

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

steel bushings inside the 2x2 to avoid crushing it on torque.
Attachments
IMG_2776.JPG

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

rear uni strut flat plates go on OEM leaf spring hanger bolts.
Attachments
IMG_2818.JPG

Topic author
Spdcrazy

Post by Spdcrazy »

ive been doing a lot of thinking on this. and due to not being able to put a diagonal brace from one side to the other, I don't think much structure will be gained with this full exo cage idea.

I tend to build things way overboard and the more time I think about it, the bigger I make the project. I originally wanted to build a tube rear bumper, some rock rails that would be stitched to the rock panels, and then a DOM exo cage off of those two to the roof. then tie it into the A pillars and into the front fenders, and ultimately into a front tube bumper.

now I think i'll scrap using DOM, and create a more simple exo cage glorified roof rack, i'll still incorporate a ladder and a few nifty attach points for stuff and things, but keep it basic and cheaper too.

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,

The roof rack is good idea. You can install threaded Riv Nuts and add a rail system. The rail is available at rack places that sell Thule and Yakima etc.

The sheet metal gauge and thickness of our Astro vans is much stronger than the new cars and trucks.

The Astro is already pretty tough.

The stupid federal economy standards force even Ford trucks and new Transit van to use ridiculous thin sheet metal and in the F150 Aluminum.

Like the old Country Western song, "make a Ford and a Chevy last 10 years like they used to..."

Federally mandated corporate fuel numbers must be stopped.
they are ridiculous.

AP