What's after Safari/Astro vans???

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

What's after Safari/Astro vans???

Post by Spike99 »

My current 2001 AWD Safari van has lived its life. After having 2 + Safaris and been driving 3 of them at work, don't want another Safari/Astro van again. Time to move onto something different. A vehicle replacement for 2 adults +3 kids, something that gets better MPGs, something thats easier to park between the parking lines. Targeting for 2 WD with 2+1 "removable" rows of seats. 3rd row with 1 removable seat would be perfect. Hopefully, something that can tow more then 3,000 lbs. FWD is ok but if given a choice, I'd like to stay with RWD - for my towing needs. From your perspective, what's a good Safari/Astro "van like" replacement?

thanks.

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: What's after Safari/Astro vans???

Post by Someone »

sounds to me like you are in the market for an Astro or a Safari.... Nothing else really matches your description. If you dont mind paying the price a Toyota Sienna is a nice driving mini van with plenty of space, the honda odyssey is ok aswell but usually more expensive than the sienna, wich to me is the nicer of the two..The only other choices that would be smaller and better on gas would be a outlander or maybe a caravan... I would not want to own either of those out of warranty, but that is just my opinion. Other than that you are getting in to the crossover market like a ford Edge or toyota highlander... you might find some folding seats but nothing that is going to give you big space. I doubt I was of much help... but remember, you can not beat a Toyota for long term enjoyment and quality.
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

It almost sounds like you want a mid sized SUV something perhaps like a Trail Blazer.

CDGsafari98
I get chills without my van.

Post by CDGsafari98 »

Sounds like another safari or astro to me.
2000 AWD Astro daily driver/ family car
98 AWD Safari I call it "the Van" Dead at the moment
02 Grand Am "the wifes car"

Topic author
Spike99
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Spike99 »

Thanks for your reply....

Yes, I do have my eyes on a mini-van replacement. Mini-van groupings such as GM models of Uplander, Montana, Venture. Caravan might be ok for us. My sister had good luck with 2 x Carvans in her family. Personally, I'm not too crazy about Ford. Still got a bad taste from the last Ford we owned. My wife wants to stay away from imports. She still doesn't like the first import we owned. Currently, we have a cross-over vehicle as a 2nd car. A FWD Buick Rendezvous. For our "run about" needs, we love it. "almost" the best thing since sliced bread. But... It lacks the Towing Power and for family crusing comfort, its internal space is too small. Especially with its 2 rows of seats. Also, my mechanic tells me NOT to pull anything with it. Way too much stress and she will blow. Was also thinking of the Envoy XL I6 but heard its MPGs is just as bad as the Safari/Astro models. With limited purchase dollars, I need to focus on "used". Or as some would say, "pre-owned". Perhaps there isn't a perfect 1:1 replacement vehicle for my family's needs. As they say, "it doesn't hurt to ask".....

Anymore other makes/models I should put on our RAW Data "Pick List"?

97TurboAstro
I am smitten with my van

Post by 97TurboAstro »

Get a full-size van with a diesel engine and then make your own fuel.

I was going to do that, but my wife had her heart set on a minivan. We now have a 2002 Olds Silhouette.

We have a '98 VW Beetle TDI for my wife's around-town tasks with fewer than 5 people.

I drive a 2000 VW Jetta TDI 55 miles a day back and forth to work.

I have a '97 Astro setup for towing: 4.10:1 gears, air shocks, tranny cooler, and oh, yea... a turbocharger

We just got rid of our Trailblazer SS.. that bad boy got 13 mpg in town

Get an older TDI for around town driving, and keep the Astro for hauling many folks and towing
Ron
Nevada, TX
1997 Emerald Green Astro w/ a few mods
wearing-out tires

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Someone »

Just a guess but I would not expect the towing capacity on a uplander or caravan to be any better than your Buick... I would definatlly not trust a FWD chrysler transmission with a load behind it... you should mention to your wife that it is not 1982 anymore and she should atleast take an import for a drive... you never know you may be impressed... it is not like imports are imported anymore anyways... they are just imported designs... actually most of them are designed here too... no matter what you end up with, towing with a front wheel drive car based van will not be to pleasureable .. I would say take a 2005 astro/safari for a test drive :supz:
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

You'll have to sneak it in from Mexico.

Roughly Astro sized with a 2.2L diesel.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

ihatemybike wrote:You'll have to sneak it in from Mexico.

Now why isn't something like this available here?
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

T.Low

Post by T.Low »

ihatemybike wrote:You'll have to sneak it in from Mexico.

Suh-wheeet! Its even my favorite color scheme. Can I smuggle in an all wheeler?
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

That looks like a transit. Is it one?? if so blah garbage :vom: they arn't that great not to mention SLOW.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

ihatemybike

Post by ihatemybike »

Yes, a Transit. I've seen plenty a video on YouTube with them moving pretty good. Search "Ford Transit Nürburgring".
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

97TurboAstro
I am smitten with my van

Post by 97TurboAstro »

Someone wrote:... take an import for a drive... you never know you may be impressed...
... impressed with the amazing prices those silly things are bringing. You can buy two Grand Caravan/Town & Country or Venture/Montana/Silhouette vans for the price of one Honduh or Toyota van.

You can go on and on about how resale values are higher, but if you buy a vehicle and drive it 'til it's dead, you won't get twice as many miles out of an import.
Ron
Nevada, TX
1997 Emerald Green Astro w/ a few mods
wearing-out tires

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Someone has mentioned the imports, do go give it a test drive, maybe it will fit the bill? But in terms of mpg, you get what you pay for. Any time we friends help people move we play around by recording gas used (just to see how much the friend we are helping to move owes us in beer) and well the Honda ends up chewing more gas than me and I haul more of the heavy stuff. It's like loading up a cavalier going up the hill vs uploading up the malibu going up the hill.

Granted man those Honda vans are nice inside as well! Just dont look at the price tag.

SUV maybe? But hard get with a nice 3rd row without going to larger engines to get more space.

IDK - g/l in your search, do let us know what you end up with!
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

CDGsafari98
I get chills without my van.

Post by CDGsafari98 »

You are truly tired of Astro vans? Wow Afeter reading this post again I rteally think if you make the necessary adjustments to the 4.3 you will get decent mileage out of it, and the reality is you cant beat these vehichles as far as their capacity to haul both people and stuff. Of course you could get a diesel van from europe or such but that will be costly. The minivans a re good for hauling people and whatever you can carry in them, but they are slow and when loaded dont get good mileage anyway.
2000 AWD Astro daily driver/ family car
98 AWD Safari I call it "the Van" Dead at the moment
02 Grand Am "the wifes car"