Went for a quick paddle...220 miles away.

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Went for a quick paddle...220 miles away.

Post by T.Low »

Fiancee's on the opposite coast for a business trip, so Thursday I loaded the Astro for a weekender. All I knew was that I wanted to do a little paddling and a lot of exploring. No one else but me, so I could impliment my "just in time" scheduling format that has always proven to be so gratifying. "The Coast" and "Olympic Penninsula" have been calling lately. Lets see what happens. Put the cell phone on the charger at home...and left it there. Going "Old School".
locked and loaded.jpg
Granted myself "Early Release Friday", skedaddled out and 220 miles later found a campsite in Westport, (Wa.) Hit the beach in the morning and drove it 12 miles from Westport to Tokeland.

Heading back toward Westport to find a good spot for a late brunch and a paddle.
The Westport to Tokeland Hwy.jpg
This'll do.
somewhere south of Westport.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
T.Low

Re: Went for a quick paddle...220 miles away.

Post by T.Low »

Down at Tokeland I came across the ugly realities of coastal living. Looks like some folks had lost it all during last years storms.
These are old towns of very modest means, not the wealthy looking to build the dream seaside homes.
Last year's storms.jpg
sad.jpg
storm debris camaro.jpg
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Had a snack, went paddling for a couple hours. Not much to explore there, just good to be on the water and play in the surf zone.

Had lunch, took a nap in the sun, decided it was time to head up to the Olympic Penninsula.
Easter Saturday paddle.jpg
Headed north. Now, I've never seen a "clearcut" before until I moved to Washington. For those of you who haven't, here ya go.
clearcut.jpg
I decided this warranted further investigation. Besides, there just happen to be a sort of road there.
clearcut road 2.jpg
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Clearcuts usually do have these roads, I would go so far as to guess that is how they get the timber out. Clearcut=road=exploration.
more clearcut.jpg
Out the highway and headed north again. Into the Hoh Rain forest, I was now near my second night's camp spot, wherever that may end up being, so I had plenty of time to spend finding "roads".

Headed up this gravel road, said there was a lake with campsite (closed, but who cares) 20 miles up.

With the winter storms you had to be on the watch for downed trees across the road. Good thing I brought my Bow saw.
luckily, I brought my bow saw.jpg
This one was nice and went on for a more than a few miles.
two tracker 2.jpg
Last edited by T.Low on Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Nice trip and looks like you had blast.
That destruction looks like our Gulf Coast after Katrina made her way through. Still a mess down there.
Reminds me of a 400 mile pontoon boat trip three of us went on back a few years ago.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Away from the coast, up into the mountains.
perspective.jpg
One of the keys to successful solo travel, being paddling, mountain biking, or any kind of exploration, is judgement. While "cautious exploration" is somewhat of an oxymoron, you must always error on the side of conservative, yet still "see what there is to see". Which always brings up the question, "Would ya?"

Only a foot deep. But whats underneath there? Hard packed river bed, or mushy axle eating muck? Getting late, no one around for miles. No winch (hell, not even a wench!). Would ya? (notice sneakers sitting by side of van...mocking me)
would you.jpg

Gimme a break, of course you would.
of course you would.jpg
Good spot for dinner.
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

All the rest of the river crossings were done via bridge.
bridges.jpg
more bridges.jpg
bridges3.jpg
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Found a nice primitive camp just as darkness fell.

Ate, then snuggled in for a movie before bed.(Laura Croft, Tomb Raider, what else?). It rained really hard all night long. It was perfect.
movie before bed.jpg

Easter Sunday, back out to the coast for some religion, and of course, driftwood, Washington style. (See sneaker for perspective)
driftwood.jpg
Some where around this point, my camera battery gave out (lucky for all of you).

Did a couple more good scenic drives, then made a B-Line for the Port Townsend Ferry.

The van did everything I asked of it. Got to know the Coast and the Penninsula a bit better. 600 some odd miles, haven't tallied the gas yet. Comfortable. Good trip to asses the set up for camping.

I'm really happy with the van, and yes, I am the quintessential "Happy Camper". :muhaha:
Last edited by T.Low on Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage

dunedog
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by dunedog »

The shot of the van between the two monster trees is unreal! :supz: Makes the van look like a toy.
Thanks for taking the time to take the long perspective shots and posting them.
This New England winter has been long and these mornings in the teens isn't cuttin' it :cry:
I like your style T.Low :cheers:
1999 LS AWD 3" Lift,4.10's,Snowplow,9500lb Ramsey winch

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

AWESOME exploration pics! Looks like a peaceful mini-vacation. :D
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

T.Low wrote: (Laura Croft, Tomb Raider, what else?)
There is no one else, :D

Thanks for postin the pics and letting us share,like Dunedog said... its been a long winter for us folks back east the pics help to fight the cabin fever.Looks like the lifted van is working just the way you intended :supz:

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Great post. Thanks. Mom lives on the peninsula. Small town of Sequim. Been there many times. I've done the hike at Ozette. Nine miles. Done the hike out to the New Dungeness Lighthouse on the spit. 11 miles round trip. I envy you camping on the coast. There's some beautiful country. The clear cuts make me sick. If the spotted owl hadn't come along the lumber business would have scraped the mountains clean.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Rebel wrote:Nice trip and looks like you had blast.
That destruction looks like our Gulf Coast after Katrina made her way through. Still a mess down there.
Reminds me of a 400 mile pontoon boat trip three of us went on back a few years ago.

To drive thru the destruction was kind of eerie. Wasn't widespread, but numerous sets of axles as if it were a RV park. Sad.

[attachment=0]IMG_1715.JPG[/attachment
dunedog wrote:The shot of the van between the two monster trees is unreal! :supz: Makes the van look like a toy.
Thanks for taking the time to take the long perspective shots and posting them.
This New England winter has been long and these mornings in the teens isn't cuttin' it :cry:
I like your style T.Low :cheers:
Thanks a lot Dunedog. Yeah, like many parts of the continent, the scenery on the coast is pretty awe inspiring. Thats one of my favorite pics from the trip.

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:AWESOME exploration pics! Looks like a peaceful mini-vacation. :D
Thanks. Yeah, I had a little extra bounce in my step this morning. Its great to get away and explore, even if you only have 2 1/2 days. Glad you liked the photos and thanks again for all your help with the project (so far :D )
astrozam wrote:
T.Low wrote: (Laura Croft, Tomb Raider, what else?)
There is no one else, :D

Thanks for postin the pics and letting us share,like Dunedog said... its been a long winter for us folks back east the pics help to fight the cabin fever.Looks like the lifted van is working just the way you intended :supz:

Glad y'all liked it. The movie was a last minute idea and I'm glad I grabbed it. Yeah, the van is workin out just as planned. :supz:
Attachments
IMG_1715.JPG
ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
T.Low

Post by T.Low »

Smiliesafari wrote:Great post. Thanks. Mom lives on the peninsula. Small town of Sequim. Been there many times. I've done the hike at Ozette. Nine miles. Done the hike out to the New Dungeness Lighthouse on the spit. 11 miles round trip. I envy you camping on the coast. There's some beautiful country. The clear cuts make me sick. If the spotted owl hadn't come along the lumber business would have scraped the mountains clean.

Thats too funny; while I'm driving thru your Mom's town, my Fiancee is all the way across the country in your town (Orlando) on business! Sequim, the sunbelt of Western Washington. Ive been realizing lately that time is fleeting and there is so much so close to me to see; the Olympic Penninsula, Vancouver Island (could be many, many trips there) Eastern Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia could be a lifetime of exploration! Yeah, I need to install a pop top. Soon.
ImageImageImageImage

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

T.Low wrote:

Ive been realizing lately that time is fleeting and there is so much so close to me to see; the Olympic Penninsula, Vancouver Island (could be many, many trips there) Eastern Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia could be a lifetime of exploration! Yeah, I need to install a pop top. Soon.
Very cool pics. I'm jeleous!!

I've spent no time on the WA coast and my wife, daughter and I plan to do some camping there one of these summers. (Won't be this summer as we are headed east.) You are right, there is so much area to explore in WA, OR & BC. And don't forget ID too!

Eventually I will have my van back on the road... and when I do, maybe we can meet up somewhere in the State and do some exploring.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!