ATV Trip To The Ahtanum

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

ATV Trip To The Ahtanum

Post by mdmead »

My friend Mitch called me earlier in the week asking if I wanted to go riding this weekend. You bet! We decided to go to the Ahtanum, which is an area west of Yakima (WA) as you head up into the Cascade Range.

We met up around 9am and unloaded at the Ahtanum sno-park. There was about a dozen motorhomes and campers parked there with their 4x4s, quads and dirt bikes scattered around. Mitch brought along his neighbor Josh who rode Mitch's old machine. Both of their machines were 2wd sport quads... compared to my 4x4 utility machine.

We hit the trail and started climbing in elevation. Our goal was to get to a place we both knew about where we would have a great view of Mt. Rainier, Mt. Adams & Mt. St. Helens. While we had both been there previously, neither of us was sure how to get back there... On the way up I snapped this pic.

I also came across this cool old snag.

Eventually we came out on a ridge and were looking down towards the lower Yakima Valley. We knew this wasn't right. We changed course and eventually found we had looped back around and were heading down towards the sno-park.

We then headed out on another road and gained elevatioin again. Before too long we arrived at the Tree Phones campground... which is closed... due to a bunch of downed trees. I hiked around the campground looking to see if this was a place we could bring the motorhome. (It is and the campground is supposed to be open within a week or two.) Since it was noon, we decided to eat lunch by this creek.

We left the campground and headed farther up the road... and soon found some snow. It eventually became too deep for the 2wd quads so we turned around. Here is Mitch (L) & Josh.

We headed back down to the sno-park and took yet another road. We again climbed, and we found another campground called Snow Cabin. This one had a couple of people camped in it and was open. Several empty spaces too! We all decided this was a decent place to camp and will venture back. We pulled out of the campground and headed higher. But we didn't go far before we encountered snow again. It was too much for Mitch and he got stuck.

I could have helped him un-stick it, but I decided I'd rather take his picture.

My machine doesn't get stuck... but the guys wanted to see how my winch worked, so I decided to show them...

We never did get up to where we could view all the mountains. Looking at the map, I think we were on the right track both times we encountered snow. We'll make it sooner or later though.

My apologies for being light on pictures this trip. Too much riding & too few great views...

Oh, and Tom, as were were riding, I couldn't help but think these were the kinds of roads your van would be happiest on. You should plan on a trip to the Ahtanum State Forest.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: ATV Trip To The Ahtanum

Post by astrozam »

A gps would be an extremely handy little item to have Matt, as always thanks for sharin the pics.

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

I'm there Matt!

Will read your post tommorrow, Jen's starting a movie! The pics looked great.

Go Wings!
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

astrozam wrote:A gps would be an extremely handy little item to have Matt, as always thanks for sharin the pics.
I agree with ya Zam!

Mitch had a GPS and a local map. His GPS wasn't working right early in the day, but after rebooting it (by pulling the batteries as it wouldn't shut off), it was fine. That's when we were finally able to place ourselves on the map.

Where was my map? At home on the counter. #-o

My GPS? In the trash as it died a few months back.... I will get a new one, but just haven't decided which one....
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!