Memorial Day Weekend

Discussion about member get-togethers

Topic author
Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Memorial Day Weekend

Post by Smiliesafari »

Cherie and I are heading to Letchworth State Park in New York for a balloon event. :bounce: All you guys and gals have fun and be safe. Say a prayer [-o< for all of those in uniform who wont be getting the weekend off. \:D/
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Memorial Day Weekend

Post by 1Gary »

What date are you guys are getting there???. :-k You stopping by Rebel's on the way up or down??.You going the RT 75 way or 95??.You Know there is Logan and a bunch of guys from here in Ohio.Chops is in Cleveland.Blazer is in Cinnci.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Have a great trip and Lynne and I will plan camping around your trip next year. We just have to remember. :-k
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Man, you guys get around. But isn't it a bit out of your way to go from Florida to New York via Ohio?

And yes, we'll make time to remember. :prayer: :usa:
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Have a great trip and Lynne and I will plan camping around your trip next year. We just have to remember. :-k
We made our camping reservations for this weekend at Letchworth the earliest we possibly could,which was last August! The sites seem to fill up fast there,at least for Memorial Day weekend.Not sure the rest of the season.Probably the same for the holiday weekends. Gary you going to be there this weekend ? See you soon Skip! :supz:
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Skip-still need to know that date your going to get there.The holiday is out,but before hand maybe.Let me know.

Rochester,NY

snapple
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by snapple »

1Gary wrote:Skip-still need to know that date your going to get there.The holiday is out,but before hand maybe.Let me know.
Not sure if they left yet,but the first balloon launch is 6pm on Friday. My guess,they would arrive on Thursday sometime.
'94 Astro AWD EXT LT - Over 211,000 ,parts van now!
DHC Rock rails
Overland Vans 4" lift kit and bumper w/grille guard
Fiamma awning

'95 Astro AWD EXT CS - Just over 99,000 miles

Moreforles
I sleep in my van

Post by Moreforles »

Smiliesafari wrote:Cherie and I are heading to Letchworth State Park in New York for a balloon event. :bounce: All you guys and gals have fun and be safe. Say a prayer [-o< for all of those in uniform who wont be getting the weekend off. \:D/
and for those in balloons too.....
2000 Astro, passenger van. Converted into a cargo van, used for Carpet cleaning (10 lbs of crap, in a 5 lb bag)

Topic author
Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Well, we hit a small snag. We were going to leave early Wednesday but it may be later in the day. I still plan on being there for the Friday launch. Gary.......I'm not sure of the exact route. I leave those details to Cherie. We're in a time crunch so visiting is out. We're going to take six days to return so maybe we will see Larry on our way home. See ya soon, Bill.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

rubberdown
I get chills without my van.

Post by rubberdown »

Safe floating Smiles! By the way, anybody ever call you balloon boy? Just checking! :whistle:
---------------Not All Who Wander Are LOST---------------

99 AWD, 4" Overland Kit, 30x9.5 BFG A/T Ko's, interior work, rest is stock & will stay that way til something breaks!

batmo
I sleep in my van

Post by batmo »

Ive been meaning to ask you this..

do balloonists make a flight plan or do ya just "wing it" once in the air and just hope you find a safe landing spot.

you can only go in the wind direction or can they make turns?

also, can you float them at night?

thanks and good luck, have a good one!

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

snapple wrote:
LiftedAWDAstro wrote:Have a great trip and Lynne and I will plan camping around your trip next year. We just have to remember. :-k
We made our camping reservations for this weekend at Letchworth the earliest we possibly could,which was last August! The sites seem to fill up fast there,at least for Memorial Day weekend.Not sure the rest of the season.Probably the same for the holiday weekends. Gary you going to be there this weekend ? See you soon Skip! :supz:
Going to try to make it on Friday.It's a hr away.Getting a fresh card for the camera and batteries,but with the XP computer still down and this 95 windows computer not able to post pictures,that is where I will be storing the pic's until I get a computer going to post them.

Rochester,NY

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

1Gary wrote:
snapple wrote:
Going to try to make it on Friday.It's a hr away.Getting a fresh card for the camera and batteries,but with the XP computer still down and this 95 windows computer not able to post pictures,that is where I will be storing the pic's until I get a computer going to post them.
Sounds like fun... Gary will you be driving the LT? See you soon? I'll have to wait and see how things pan out. Jim

Rebel
I plan to be buried in my van
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

You and the bride have a safe trip and happy ballooning my man.
Come see us if you can. 251-230-0827
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Met with Skip.Got pic's,but can't post them until I get my XP computer repaired.There is a lot to know about flying these balloons.I had tons of questions for Skip.He explained how the wind can effect the balloon at different heights the direction of the balloon.That there is a meet where guys have to drop a item on a target and if the raised up go in one direction and then lower down to come back to the target.Simple things that where covered during the pilot's meeting of where the outlets of the park bridges are for the chase vehicles.They had a old TV station truck there with the boom the raised up as a weather station with radar and wind speeds.Up to the time I was there they couldn't launch because of wind conditions.

Skip and his wife are really good people and I very much enjoyed the meet.

Rochester,NY