Thinking of moving to California

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Thinking of moving to California

Post by markmitchinnh »

My fiance is from the Bay area and other then desert training (Fort Irwin) I have never been there. And due to health issues the dryer air is suppose to be better for me. So what do I do with my V8 Safari? is there any way of making it legal other then go back to a V6? Or should I sell it and find an old car to restore when I get there?
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Thinking of moving to California

Post by 1Gary »

So Calli V8 is out there with his legal.Might want to consider the taxes out there and the cost of living............... :-k
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I am a disabled veteran and just sold my house in Maine, cost of living? can't be worse then NH/Maine area. If we buy a home my girlfriend already knows the taxes/cost of living. Basically I told her as long as its not in the city and we have a garage I am fine lol.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Good Luck with the move Mark.

Keep us posted, Jim

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Herbie »

markmitchinnh wrote:My fiance is from the Bay area and other then desert training (Fort Irwin) I have never been there. And due to health issues the dryer air is suppose to be better for me. So what do I do with my V8 Safari? is there any way of making it legal other then go back to a V6? Or should I sell it and find an old car to restore when I get there?
What year is the van and what year is the donor car the engine came from? If the donor is from the same year or newer as the van, you're in pretty good shape. You can go through the referee process to get the van stickered as legal. If not... you might need to sort something out.

Not sure how CA will treat an import of something you've owned before moving into the state. Might be worth some research or a call to the DMV of the area you'd move to. (We have different smog "zones" so some things are slightly different if you're in a more rural area vs. the big cities)
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

My Van is a 1989 the 350 is from a 1995 tahoe, mostly stock except for a 4 barrel intake with adapter for TBI and EGR delete. hedman hedders with Ypipe and dual mufflers.

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

markmitchinnh wrote:I am a disabled veteran and just sold my house in Maine, cost of living? can't be worse then NH/Maine area.

Wanna bet? lol...http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=% ... 2=50667000

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

markmitchinnh wrote:My Van is a 1989 the 350 is from a 1995 tahoe, mostly stock except for a 4 barrel intake with adapter for TBI and EGR delete. hedman hedders with Ypipe and dual mufflers.
The engine being a '95 is good, but the EGR delete is bad. CA says for engine swaps that the replacement engine must be same year of newer, and retain all of the smog equipment for the vehicle that is was originally installed in. That means your intake and headers will need CARB certification stickers too. This is assuming that you are moving to a county that checks. Like Herbie says, some don't. But many do.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

Yeah I figured the EGR delete but the intake and headers I didn't even think about. I can fix what ever I have to fix.

2002Safari
I am smitten with my van

Post by 2002Safari »

I moved from Washington State with a stock 2002 Safari US emissions with no problems. Not cheep living in California.
2002 Safari SLT

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I gotta say that if I was moving to anyplace that has clean, rust free vans available, I would sell the current project and start a new one when I got there.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I don't think you will get away with running a carbed 95 engine in the 89 van. Both came with EFI and I suspect you'll need the 95 EFI system intact.

Moving stock vehicles to CA can be a real pain, (impossible?...), if they don't meet the CA requirement of the time. I think there might be some exemptions, but I've heard horror stories.

Honestly, and forgive me to those of you already living in CA, I can't see any draw to the state for gearheads and/or OHV enthusiasts. CA is probably the most difficult state in regards to both issues. Too strict swap standards, underfunded OHV programs, continually losing the OHV access available, etc.

But the final straw for me is traffic/congestion in the metro areas. I've spent some time in Santa Barbara, L.A., Palm Springs, Bay Area and up north in Arcata. With the exception of the Arcata area, everywhere else I've been has had way too many people. I know some don't mind this, but I surely do. (As for the Arcata area, too many long-hair enviro hippies. They need to grow up and get a job!)

There is some nice weather in CA, and lots to do. A great place to visit... knowing you can escape in a few days!

Just another opinion. And like they say, opinions are like _ss _oles and everyone has one. :muhaha:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

VanGoGo
I get chills without my van.

Post by VanGoGo »

Ive spent a few years in northen California, (mostly the Arcata area, and I agree it is over-run by enviro hippies), the cost of living (and gas prices) in California is insane, the smog laws are often a nightmare...even for bone stock vehicles. I had a vanagon with a golf gti motor and discovered even if the emissions are within the limits, the bureaucracy will find other reasons to fail your vehicle, which proves to me, they are not concerned about the environment because they fail vehicles that run clean, they just want another excuse to 'tax' you. I wish you luck.
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

mdmead it has a 4 barrel intake with TBI on an adapter - no carb. this move may never happen as my fiance is from there but she is going through menopause and changes her mind way to often to make me worry. I have been all over while in the Army but I hate cities. I would much rather live off the beaten path so to speak. Life is full of change so I look at the alternatives. As for my van I have way to much time and money into this project to abandon it for a rust free van to start all over again. But thats just me. Thank you all for the reply's. If I do ever move there I will probably find an old Chevelle or something to build.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

markmitchinnh wrote:mdmead it has a 4 barrel intake with TBI on an adapter - no carb.
Got ya! If the TBI was stock to the 350, then the only issue is the intake and adaptor for the Carb exemption. If it's grungy and stock looking, it may not be a factor. Worst case, swap these parts back to stock or exempt parts.

Yeah, I hate crowded areas too. I don't mind going to these places occassionally, but in the end, I like my three acres outside of a small town!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!