Looking to replace headlights. Need some suggestions

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
completetech
I finally get the smurf thing

Looking to replace headlights. Need some suggestions

Post by completetech »

So I am looking to switch out the headlights in my 2000 Astro Cargo. I have been thinking about switching out with the universal HID replacements on ebay or something similar as I need more light.

Just checking to see if anyone has had good, bad or other experiences with them? And if so what all "extra" they had to buy.

I was also looking at some of the "conversions" with the headlights, grill and whatnot to go composite I believe its called. Not to bad of a price on ebay. but again, with not knowing that much or ever having anyone I know of do it I am not sure what I should do.

justice
I sleep in my van

Re: Looking to replace headlights. Need some suggestions

Post by justice »

i'm hoping to get a set of the Hella lenses with the HID lights when i need to replace mine,

check some of these threads, Stan had a set and really liked them.

search.php?keywords=hella&terms=all&aut ... mit=Search
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Truck-Lite has drop in LED replacement headlights. Be the first known Astrofari with them!
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/st ... &langId=-1

Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

$489.99 for two.
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-Lig ... 7QodJQwATA

I soooo want to try these, but it's hard to justify spending $500 on lights for a $250 van.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
completetech

Post by completetech »

that $100 or so seemed like a lot better choose to me... :muhaha:

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I just bought a set of Hella's E-code conversion lamps. They are housings with replaceable H4 bulbs, not sealed beams. Hella has the "Vision Plus" or "E-Code" reflectors. I bought the euro ones, with higher wattage bulbs. I've been happy with the results, and the customer service from this company is very good.

This explains the difference between the lights.
http://www.rallylights.com/Vision_Plus_Information.aspx

Here's the page where you can select your lamp size, from the yellow box on the left, and then choose which lamps you want. My '87 uses the 200mm X 142mm lamps.
http://www.rallylights.com/SearchResult ... goryID=354
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
completetech

Post by completetech »

has anyone used the "cheap" ones from ebay before? Not sure I really want to afford that kinda price. [-(

I was also thinking of buying, not really sure on what to pay for it though as he is just saying make him an offer. A replacement grill with the "other" types of headlightsand the lights itself as a guy around here is parting a astro out and said make him an offer and they look pretty clean. Then of course replacing those with HID replacements.

trevcda
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by trevcda »

Nothing like dredging up a six month old topic!

Thought you guys might like another option for headlights. With a great recommendation from a friend, I just replaced both high and low beams with HID conversion kits for $95.00 USD from these guys:

https://www.ddmtuning.com/

Wow! What a difference! I used 55 watt 6000K kits and they look so much better than even Sylvania's brightest standard bulbs that I put in a year ago. They are so white, I feel kind of self-conscious about them, but they look absolutely great. My friend, Adam, who helped me put them in said he didn't see much of a difference between the 35 watt and the 55 watt kits on his vehicles, but for the extra $10 per kit I just went with the higher wattage. This is what I've been looking for, and expecting, when I've been replacing headlight bulbs all these years.

There is a warm up time to get to full brightness when first turning on the lights or switching from low to high beams. Have any of you figured out the best way to run both high and low beams at the same time? This would allow the lows to continue at brightness while the high beams warm up. Does anybody have a headlight system wiring diagram handy?

I'm so happy with these, I want to replace all my exterior bulbs with brighter LEDs.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I know nothing about headlights, especially HID. But now you guys have me wondering because I'm always looking for ways to reduce electrical consumption. Are HIDs more efficient? I know incandescent headlights typically consume 7.0 Amps (low) and 9.0 Amps (high).