Totalled???

General Discussion
( Please do not post help questions here )

Topic author
Electrichorseman
I am merely driving my van

Totalled???

Post by Electrichorseman »

Smacked into a car that was making an improper left turn last weekend. I don't have collision. Her insurance company sent an adjuster who says the truck is a total loss.

Here's the bits and pieces of it...

1998 Safari, 174,000 miles. Dealer serviced during the last year included new intake manifold gasket, new radiator, complete brake job including new rear cylinders and new rear seals. Got 4 new tires last month.

Apparent damage...
Bumper and cover, grill, radiator, A/C condenser, (probably) trans cooler, MAF sensor (connector sheared off), brake master cylinder (reservoir knocked off), hood.

I assume they're going to offer book value ($3,500).

Is it worth fixing?

Ken C.
New Jersey
Attachments
0203131652.jpg
Ken C.
New Jersey
1998 Safari Van

okie1
I sleep in my van

Re: Totalled???

Post by okie1 »

I can't see the RH front but from what I see, if they offer that, buy it back cheap and fix it up, really from what I see its not that bad but pictures tend to gloss over. post a few more pics so we can give a better response What about the air bags?

Topic author
Electrichorseman

Post by Electrichorseman »

Fenders are fine, airbags NOT deployed.

I haven't taken a good look underneath but I assume no damage to the steering/ suspension (which I completely replaced two years ago).

I'll post more pics after the snowstorm...
Ken C.
New Jersey
1998 Safari Van

BigAl

Post by BigAl »

The insurance company will be lucky to get $400 at auction so dont let them get more from you. You'll probably have to surender your title and deal t
with a salvage title, check your state to see whats involved re regerstering it and retitling it to a rebuilt. Also check your insurance company, Ive had one that would not even ishue a liability only policy on a rebuilt title. I have a salvage license and deal with these ishues often, most states are reasonable but some just dont want wrecks rebuilt and on their roads.
BigAl
Pensacola Fl.
2002 Astro AWD my FEMA Hotel.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Looks easily repairable to me. The most expensive part will be the A/C. The rest is salvage yard parts including the condenser. If the rest of the van body is in good shape I say fix it as you already know the mechanical repairs done.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I agree with the others, it looks like it can be repaired without too much trouble. Now, is it worth fixing? That is a question only you can answer. If the insurance totals it then the answer, by straight numbers and practicality, is no. But having been through this with my own van recently, I know it may be worth it to you. If you like the van that much then by all means, buy it back and get it back one the road. Be aware, this type of project can get expensive. I spent way more money rebuilding my van than it will ever be worth, but that was ok with me because I wanted it back and I don't plan on selling it. That said, I went further than just repairing the crash damage on mine. You know, "while it's apart I may as well do this and that and all these other things". If they've already said it's a total loss I doubt they're going to offer you $3500. It looks like it can be fixed for less than that.

Good luck, keep us posted.
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Do it as a DIY job it's repairable. I'd give 400 for it, put another 5-600 into it (or find a parts van) and then put it back on the road. Just me though.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

That looks familiar. I also had no collision insurance on the van when I got hit. Insurance company would not start a thing until I got a copy of the ticket showing the other driver was charged with being at-fault for the accident.

IMO if they offer you $3k for it ( print out some autotrader ads with comp milage to help your case ) then I would take the $$ and get another vehicle before I would repair a 15 year old van with 174000 miles.