Shaved Gas Filler Door

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Shaved Gas Filler Door

Post by TheChopFather »

I know our buddy from the south and our English bud from the leftcoast have done this because I seen it over at the other site but cant find it here you guys gots any pics? and maybe a how to because TW needs one too!!! SOS please help! lol :-k
CHOPS!!!
Last edited by TheChopFather on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ISN'T HE SO SEXY IN HIS PRETTY WHITE DRESS???LOL

suicide86
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: shaved filler

Post by suicide86 »

did you get the lights yet dennis?
86 safari.
stock floor bodydrop,suicided doors,front end swap.Shaved all doors,tags,slider track,gas filler,liscence plate.Frenched box.
soon-22/24 wheels,350,paint and alot more

Rileysowner
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by Rileysowner »

As I remember SocalliV8 and Rebel did this mod. Hopefully some pictures will come for you soon.
"I have a torque wrench and I am not afraid to use it."
Jim
1997 GMC Safari RWD, Power Windows and Locks, 7 passenger, a/c, rear heat

http://rileysowner.blogspot.com/

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Here ya go Dennis. Can't believe I'm beating Darren to the bunch here.lol

I'll post these pics with a little info and then come back with more detail.
This first pic is after red lens has been removed showing the plastic back section that you'll need to drill out the rivets and then remove. Think it was a 1/4 bit.

After removal.

Was about to continue but that would be for Cad. install.
Sorry,, you're just going to install the fillers and then go with LED's in another locatuion,,correct ??

I think your fillers came from Grant. Here's a shot showing how much will have to be trimmed to keep body line correct. Think it was about 1/4 that has to come off top and one side for proper fit. They have two people at Grant who make these, so the ones you have may be closer to correct size.

Here's a pic after I tacked filler in. Be sure to have a wet rag handy to cool down after every tack and you probably know to tack on one side and then go to the other so you won't have alot of heat build up.

After filler is complete.

I think I started this by mentioning you'll have to drill out rivets and remove the back plastic piece beind lens but don't think you'll have to do that but you may want to remove anyway,,not sure how hot that will get while tacking filler in place. Guess you could light it up in there and you'll have a heck of a time putting that out after filler is tacked in a few spots.

May have posted I few pics you won't need because I was thinking you were going with Cad. tails so just disregard those.
Be carefull that your doors don't shut after you first tack the fillers in. I had to cut the inside edge of filler, next to rear door. They left to much metal there and if door shuts before cutting, you'll bend the filler. I chose to cut this piece off after installing filler and used an air saw and bench grinder to cut and shape edges. Your most difficult area to work with will be that upper edge and matching it up to the body line.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Topic author
TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Post by TheChopFather »

OOOOPPS I guess I should have been more specific on which filler I meant the gas filler door sorry there rebel but those light fillers are next so I'll be needing that too soon.

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Not a problem, glad you can use it later.
Are you going to french the filler in door post or go with a fuel cell ?
Last edited by Rebel on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

I thought you were wanting info on filling the slot for the sliding door, WOW we are all on different pages.

Topic author
TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Post by TheChopFather »

BLAZER wrote:I thought you were wanting info on filling the slot for the sliding door, WOW we are all on different pages.
Am gonna do that too after I suicide the slider but right now am referring to shaving the fuel door and relocating it to the door post (since the tank is out right now) as Larry and Darren and probably a few others have done.

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Ok,,here are a few pics of the gas filler. I won't go into any detail now but will come back later and do that.

Beat ya again Darren,,ya gotta tighten up out there. I get to show off before you again.

First pic shows pulling interior plastic out from post. Be carefull when using 3in hole saw, there are wires running down the back section of post.

After removing or pulling back interior trim piece and cut a piece of 3in. exhaust pipe about 3in. long. You'll use this to draw your circle on post and also weld your filler tube to later. The pic you see with the 3in. exhaust piece in the hole is not welded to post yet. You'll do this after you connect your Astro filler tube to exhaust section. Used a 3in. hole saw for post cut and for the inside cut going down to tank.

Next you cut a 3in hole to run your gas tube through inside body to tank. I'd remove gas tank before cutting this hole. It's going to have to be removed anyway.

Got more pics,,hang on a short

This is the 3in. piece of exhaust cut earlier inserted in hole before filler tube was welded to it. You'll do that before placing in hole and tacking in. When you remove your filler tube, you'll see what needs to be done to connect it to this piece. Darren did something a little different. I cut the filler in half and turned it 180* so the vent tube would be pointing to the inside which would allow tube to be hidden in trim when replaced.

Darren ran hard tubing down to this hole,,which is better. To get things done quickly, I ran rubber gas tank line and then used I think a 90* exhaust pipe piece to go from this rubber line to rubber line connecting to tank.

This shows the red vent tube running down through floor behind trim base and connecting to tank.

Here's the interior trim with section cut out for carpeted tube to tank.
Hook up to tank. Other tube you see above black tank line is the breather line which I ran inside interior trim, down through floor and then to tank connection.

Here it is finished. Finally replaced the piece of carpet that didn't match.

Any questions just ask. I know this was kind of a quick post and sure I left out some details. As far as the gas door, just cut a piece of sheetmetal, trim to fit flush, tack, grind welds and a little body filler, sand and prime,,preferrably something in a shade of slutty white. :muhaha:
Another thing I just thought about is to point tha 3in. piece of exhaust tubing in the post at a downward angle to help with gas flow when fueling up.

I just realized,,this was done a long time ago. Man,,got to get this done.

Mod. may want to move the post on tail light filler to another post if ya can.
Last edited by Rebel on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:47 am, edited 5 times in total.

VIDEO

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Re: Shaved Gas Filler Door

Post by astronut74 »

Thanks Chops! I was going to ask the same thing!
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

Topic author
TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Post by TheChopFather »

Thanks Larry. =D> =D> =D> now maybe the higher ups will sticky this so others can see.

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Dennis, I'm sure I left some details out so be sure to ask if ya run across anything. Darren did this first and may have some other hints that may help you out and know he'll be glad to amswer any questions also.
Good luck

Did that subject title get changed or have I lost it ? Surely I wouldn't have posted tail light fillers if that was title. Maybe I would,,who knows ?

Mod,,sure wish you'd move the tail pics so I won't look like a southern DA. :rolleyes:

VIDEO

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

Great write-up, Larry. Gives me the impression that you actually intend to one day finish your project :supz:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
TheChopFather
Retired
Retired

Post by TheChopFather »

Rebel wrote: Did that subject title get changed or have I lost it ? Surely I wouldn't have posted tail light fillers if that was title. Maybe I would,,who knows ?
:
I think your loosing it the title is the same. Think you been inhaling to many Mod fumes :muhaha: no actually I went and changed it earlier when I realized I wasn't specific enough...

Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Great write-up, Larry. Gives me the impression that you actually intend to one day finish your project
Gonna get done Petey,,it's gonna get done,,it's gonna get done,,it's.

Dennis,,thanks for the explanation,,thought maybe I'd been hitting the airplane glue a little heavy or something.

Good luck and any questions you have, just ask.

VIDEO