Seafoam???

Topic author
LJRacing91
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Seafoam???

Post by LJRacing91 »

Well, I did a treatment of seafoam in the 95 the other day, when I replaced the radiator (again, only maybe 2 years later).

Oddly enough, even after 216k miles, the "cloud" you usually get out the back was quite small and short.

I actually added a little more than 1/3 bottle (like the instructions say), it was closer to a half.

Has anyone else had these results? I'm just curious if I possibly did it wrong (down the t-body application) or maybe my engine is just cleaner after this long?

Of course the rest went in the gas tank.

I did notice a smoother feel after the treatment, although I couldn't decide if it was the new radiator, or the seafoam (there was a hole in the core, so it wasn't cooling properly).

Sorry guys, no video. Wouldn't have been worth it anyway, haha.
1995 Chevrolet Astro CL "W" 246k and counting
1993 GMC Safari SLE "Z" 261k and counting
2001 Chevrolet Express 2500HD 139k and counting
2003 Toyota Matrix XR 81k and counting

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

i use Seafoam in all my vehicles and even my lawn mower. It will keep gas from going bad if you have a vehicle that sits a lot like my motorcycle when it rains so much like it has lately.

I have also used it directly in the crank case to break up sludge before an oil change.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

if you've done a bit more hwy driving .. or the engine has been running hotter lately, it will burn up most of the carbon and crap itself. hence the small seafoam cloud.
seafoam works best on motors that haven't gotten to and stayed at operating temp very often. most of todays vehicles actually don't run very hot, even at operating temps.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Re: Seafoam???

Post by LaGrasta »

For the first time, I used Seafoam Trans Tune last month in my 1963 ford falcon transmission. It had what they call a sleepy trans. Until it was warm, it wouldn't shift. I dumped Seafoam in it and it's been great ever since. I'm thrilled with it. I just hope it isn't temporary. I plan on a trans fluid change soon and we'll see if the trans will still shift cold. If it doesn't, I'll dump another can in there.

This was my first time using Seafoam. I'd definately try the the oil additive if I ever have the need.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

moboman
I get chills without my van.

Post by moboman »

Where do you guys pour the seafoam into?

Do you pull the air filter box, and the air intake stuff and pour seafoam in there? Do you use a spray bottle and spray it in or do you just pour some from the bottle?

Sorry that is probably a pretty noob question.

kings-x59
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by kings-x59 »

Seafoam suggests two methods, which can be found here http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
I've done it by pouring it down the throttle body, or by pulling it in through the pcv line.
I liked the pcv hose method better. I hooked up a scrap piece of hose to the pcv port on the throttle body and put the other end in a container with the seafoam. A "C" clamp on the hose gave me sort of a valve control over the amount of seafoam flowing into the engine.
'89 Astro, 4.3L, TBI. Minor intake and exhaust mods. Rebuilt 700R4 trans (by me). Corvette servo, 0.5" boost valve, police grade 1-2 accumulator spring (shifts fast and solid). B&M stacked plate trans cooler. Bilstein shocks. Belltech sway bars front and back. New head unit, speakers and subwoofer. Needs paint and a new headliner.

name's Steve
I can't remember all I've forgotten about that....

coolen
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by coolen »

there are A LOT of videos on the net showing seafoam being used. and holy moly is there ever a lot of "smoke". it kinda scares me, but i haven't heard anything negative about the stuff.
95 safari AWD
94 astro, just itchin' for a V8!!