Alternator upgrade options...

Topic author
91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Alternator upgrade options...

Post by 91AWDAstro »

I was going to post this on the AS site, but since it's down I'm posting it here. Ok, my new CS-130 is acting up. Since I have the loaded LS van with rear a/c power everthing and now the v8 two electric fans plus a current hungry audio system I've decided to do an upgrade and did some research. For those who like me have the crappy CS-130 alternator you have two options. I found a place that sells a kit or you can send your alternator to them to upgrade it. The kit bumps it up to 140 amp and uses a larger diode assembly and new better heat dissapating rear housing.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/7130_7140%20.htm

The other option is to convert to the superior CS-144 series alternator. It's a larger alternator and puts out more current at idle than the CS-130. Quick start also sells repair and rebuild kits for them as well. Most CS-144's were 105 amp with three other versions, 124 amp, 140 amp and 200amp. The difference is the stator and diodes. The larger 140 amp were used in Caddy's, Buick's and Old's 90 to 96 with heated windshields and caprice cop cars. The 200 amp were used in abulances and other commerical vehicles. There were also two different versions 1st and 2nd design. The 2nd design is an improved version with needle bearings in the rear. I'm going to be swapping to the CS-144 and will post the outcome. Here is some links for more info for those intrested.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/Alternator-Theory.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdFA6WF8lVg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKbX7mez ... re=related

Chris
---------
I don't understand all I know about that.
----------
Chris
91AWD 350
and a bunch of other wrecks...

Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Alternator upgrade options...

Post by Someone »

Thanks for the links, was getting ready to look into this for my Toyota as I had to borrow my 70amp off my truck for my plow... figure I will just upgrade at the same time, your info is quite helpfull!
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

Topic author
91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Also my CS144 showed up yesterday. It's definately larger (physically) than the CS130. I'll post pictures of the swap when I get around to it, going to rebuild it first.
---------
----------
Chris
91AWD 350

CDGsafari98
I get chills without my van.

Post by CDGsafari98 »

Please post pics, I want to see this. this will have to added to my upgrade list. The list is getting longer and longer dang.
2000 AWD Astro daily driver/ family car
98 AWD Safari I call it "the Van" Dead at the moment
02 Grand Am "the wifes car"

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

I recently needed a new alternator for my van. Thanks to the info I found in this post I went with a CS144 from alternatorparts.com. I took pictures of the project and will post them up soon.
Should I put them here or in a new thread?
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

I vote here
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Please post here :D

Just out of curiousity and I am lazy to look up what do us AWD folks have from factory? Delphi thingy ... mine is the SLT with rear air and so on.
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

6spd_monte wrote:I recently needed a new alternator for my van. Thanks to the info I found in this post I went with a CS144 from alternatorparts.com. I took pictures of the project and will post them up soon.
Should I put them here or in a new thread?

If its just a pic or 2 post here,but it would be better yet to register in our Tech forum and upload the pics and "how to" there,that is the best place for all that kinda stuff.

Topic author
91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Zam, maybe you can move this to that area as a reference. I'm glad a lot have been able to take advantage of it. I haven't got mine on yet, but it sounds like it must be an easy swap. Also just want to point out that I already upgraded my power lead to a larger size wire to accomdate the increased output. I would recomend it to those upgrading.
---------
----------
Chris
91AWD 350

Mat Mobile
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Mat Mobile »

Very interesting. Similar to the caliper upgrade post. This post should be a sticky. Can't wait to see more results!
Mathieu
My '91 Astro.

Topic author
91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Ok here's some pics for those intrested. First picture is with the CS130 stock in place. Second picture is a comparison of the two alternators. Next picture is the CS144 in place with only the bottom right bolt in place. The housing of the CS144 that I have has the ears at the 12 o'clock position. The CS130 housing has the ears at 2 o'clock position. I haven't called alternator parts yet, but acording to the web sight there is no 2 o'clock housings for the CS144 2nd design. I drew up some possible combinations for the different housings. Other than the left ear would be closer using the 10 o'clock housing, it still wouldn't line up. Either way I have to make up a support bracket for it. I'm cheap, so I don't see much benifit to buying a different front housing. I also will need to make a short extension for the rear support as well. I rotated the rear housing so that the power stud and connector are close to where CS130 was. I would be courious of what housing was used supplied by alternatorparts to those who bought one from them. The tensioner clears and the belt lines up with no problem. there is a chance I may need a slightly longer belt. I'll post pictures of the finished product.
---------
----------
Chris
91AWD 350

Topic author
91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Also here is a picture of the two alternators in cad with the bottom left bolt as a refernce point. The yellow lines are the CS144 the white are the CS130. The picture dipicts a front view of both the front and rear locations of the power stud, rear mounting, pully, and ears. The hex is the power stud and the smaller hole just off center is the rear mount location. From here I can design my brackets.
---------
----------
Chris
91AWD 350

Topic author
91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Finally got it finished up. Made a bracket to use the 12 o'clock mouting ear. I did talk to alternatorparts.com very friendly people. He did say using a different housing would line up close and would only require reaming the hole.

---------
----------
Chris
91AWD 350

Water Boy
I sleep in my van

Post by Water Boy »

WOW
Great pics.
Pics are always a good thing.
Especially when they match the story.

Did you clean up the engine for the pics?
Or....
Photoshop out the dirt and grundge?
I was told getting my beauty sleep was a waste of time.

1990 Astro (Z motor) mostly original @ 343,584 miles (552,944.8488960001 Canadian) (03/2008). Bad startup puff. Starting to spray for skeeters. Gone 06/07/08.
1993 Astro with a bad W motor. Parked next to a chicken coop in Talking Rock GA
I'm 'tween Canton and Holly Springs (North NorthWest of Atlanta GA)
I haul bottled water everyday- between 500 and 2500 pounds (226.796185 and 1,133.980925 Canadian) INSIDE the van.

Topic author
91AWDAstro
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by 91AWDAstro »

Did you clean up the engine for the pics?
Nope, thanks though. I did clean up the compartment a little, but the engine is a 350 conversion I did a few months back. Only has 1800 miles on it so that is why it still looks good. I did of course clean up and paint everyting before it went in.
---------
----------
Chris
91AWD 350