might be getting my 93 back.. ideas.. ?

ANYTHING FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT TO REPLACING A DASH PANEL

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

might be getting my 93 back.. ideas.. ?

Post by crash »

well, it appears that within the next 2 - 3 mths I might be getting the 1993 LT back.

for those that either don't know of it or don't remember. this is the van that i bought a couple of years back for myself. ended up a friend was in a car accident and needed something asap. i worked out a payment plan and signed it over. since then i've been the one to do any repairs and upkeep on it. that being said, my friend now has a company van that he drives monday - friday and is looking to buy a little 4 banger sporty thing for the weekends. our agreement was that if he ever decided to get rid of it, i got first dibs.

this is also the van that i put the eneki wheels on that everyone liked so much. they were the trans am gta looking ones that are black with the brushed aluminum lip that i had on my 94 LT for awhile

here's the van when i got it (different rims a bit more rust) --> http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y265/c ... 3%20astro/

here's what i'd like to do.... i would really like clean up the body on it and convert the front end to the colorado style. i know there was someone on the other site that posted some intitial pics of fabing this up... anyone know who he was or where he got with it?

the other thing i'd like consider is a V8. if i end up looking for a shop to the the swap, what should i expect to pay for everything, including an engine with a mild cam and a posi unit installed? really kind of looking for a ballpark so i don't fall off my chair when i ask a shop what it'd cost...

i'm guessing i could find a motor pretty cheap .. there are lots and lots of V8 guys around this hick town with low mile motors sitting in their yards... LOL

thanks
rob
i have a dream :yawinkle:
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

vans owned: Image
97 Astro AWD (selling by summer .. i think) SOLD
99 Astro LS Sept 08 ASV VOM
94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT
96 Astro LT AWD * parts van*

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: might be getting my 93 back.. ideas.. ?

Post by crash »

found it.... the van was called 'Astrado' and it was on a site that is now defunkeddddddd lol.. http://www.layinbody.com <-- dead links to a nearly nekkid girl in heels checking tire pressure on weld draglite rim.. lol .. not sure if that was a club or magazine or what.. anyway, here's one pic i was able to find on my pc..

Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Glad to see you may be getting her back. Definitely do the V8 swap. You will never regret it. As for the Colorado front end...not my style but I can appreciate the amount of work involved!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

i'm not huge on the styling either to be honest... i think it's just something to really update the look of the van... different
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Yea, i remember that swap.

I did save only 2 pictures #-o

1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

cool.. thanks for those two that i didn't have.. it doesn't look like they went to the newer longer front before going to a colorado does it... looks like the sloped style on that 2nd pic you posted Jboy

below would be my 'blank canvas' .. LOL.. bright and early this morning my friend showed up at my door with a 'siren' sound coming from the engine bay ... i think it's the alternator whining really badly, now i have something to do on my day off tomorrow he took my 99 today so i took some pics

Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

crash wrote:cool.. thanks for those two that i didn't have.. it doesn't look like they went to the newer longer front before going to a colorado does it... looks like the sloped style on that 2nd pic you posted Jboy
I believe that is correct. I do remember that the van a 1987 and he was just swapping the colorado grill, and customizing the hood and fenders to match the bodylines to fit with the grill.

btw, that van looks clean :)
1991 Chevy Astro Extended- Stock 4.3

meetthespeakers
I sleep in my van

Post by meetthespeakers »

Thats what I was gonna say, looks fairly clean in and out. I have no idea but the colorado front I think looks decent, I was wondering, do you get any more room/clearance by switching to the newer van front? Just curious if that would give you more room to clear the V8, radiator and such. The colorado front looks like the width is correct. Just need to extend a few pieces. Interesting. Well, GOOD LUCK, and HAVE FUN!
1993 Astro, 1973 Austin Mini Clubman Estate, 1980 Trabant, 1961 Morris Minor

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

well the siren sound turned out not to be the alternator but was the idler pulley. i changed both the tensioner and the idler pulleys because if one went the other probably isn't far behind. both on there were GM stock pulleys.

as for the van.. yeah it's pretty clean.. there are a few rust blisters in the typical areas. on the upper dutch door and around the plate box, as well as the rear rockers and under the tail lights. other than that it's pretty clean.

i'll have to start watching ebay and my local yards and price out some rado parts.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

dean89
I get chills without my van.

Post by dean89 »

I am pretty sure that is a Silverado front end (03-07), not the Colorado one. The Colorado has the turn signals above the headlights. I would love to see the finished product though. :supz:
ImageImageImage
1989 Astro, 3" DJM drop, 5.7 tbi
1991 Chevrolet C1500 4.3 tbi 5spd 4-6" DJM drop (brother's truck)
1983 Chevrolet K20 350/4spd, 3.5" lift w/35's

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

meetthespeakers wrote:Thats what I was gonna say, looks fairly clean in and out. I have no idea but the colorado front I think looks decent, I was wondering, do you get any more room/clearance by switching to the newer van front? Just curious if that would give you more room to clear the V8, radiator and such. The colorado front looks like the width is correct. Just need to extend a few pieces. Interesting. Well, GOOD LUCK, and HAVE FUN!
IIRC the newer front end does provide more clearance as it's not really father forward but it's more square so you have something like 2 -3" more wiggle room in there.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

dean89 wrote:I am pretty sure that is a Silverado front end (03-07), not the Colorado one. The Colorado has the turn signals above the headlights. I would love to see the finished product though. :supz:
hmm .. good point dean. i'm going to measure up our silverado at work today and see how close it is.
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

crash wrote:
dean89 wrote:I am pretty sure that is a Silverado front end (03-07), not the Colorado one. The Colorado has the turn signals above the headlights. I would love to see the finished product though. :supz:
hmm .. good point dean. i'm going to measure up our silverado at work today and see how close it is.
If you put a silverado front end on that van you may end up coming out side one morning and finding a weirdo with a green safari hugging your van while whispering sweet nothings to it and asking it out for a romantic dinner and a long walk on a moonlit beach I hear piddock can be pretty with the right moon light lol! :prayer: :prayer:
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

Topic author
crash
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by crash »

yes piddock can be nice... a little empty at the moment being that it's drained for the winter...

well, i did a really quick measurement of the silverado here at work. i haven't checked the 93 front end measurements yet to compare but the silverado front end is actually slightly narrower than the front of the my 99 (which is what i drove to work today)... i'll check a customers colorado when he comes in next for an approx size comparison... for now i'm leaning towards it being the silverado pieces that have been used...

looks like if this comes together i'm going to have to look into buying a welder and learn how to weld :-s
Rob Image

current rides:
04 Mazda 6 V6 5spd

94 Astro LT
93 Astro LT