Ah...its campin time

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Ah...its campin time

Post by astrozam »

Heres a sweet little setup for trailer campin...would be great for hitting the back lakes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nRVjf0zcfw

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Ah... its campin time

Post by mdmead »

Neat little camper. Great behind a Jeep type 4x4 where the roads are in bad shape.

When I was a kid, my step-dad used to drag our Starcraft pop-up into some pretty remote spots. It was even more incredible when you consider he did it with a 2wd short box Chevy pickup. I figured with a spring-over on our Starcraft pop-up, we could take it into some pretty remote areas too. (Sadly, I have a wife who doesn't feel 'safe' enough [i.e., bear bait!] in a pop-up and wants a hard-sided or motorhome instead... but if momma ain't happy, then...)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

How much do one of those run for? Looks pretty cool!
You need to tell your wife that a hard-side or whatever she wants really only slows the bear down for like 10 seconds or so ... just enough time for you to notice you are wetting your pants >.< Unless the bears in US differ from those in Canada? :poke:

97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!
Photos and Specs of "Princess"

WVKayaker
I sleep in my van

Post by WVKayaker »

pretty cool vid zam...thanks
1999 AWD Astro purchased January 2007
2" Overland Vans Lift Kit, Add-a-Leaf, Shackles, Torsion Bars Cranked 1"
AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery w/Isolator
Helwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Auburn Gear Pro Series Limited-Slip Differential
BFG AT KO 235/75/15
Cragar Nomad I Wheels

Dearly Departed 1990 RWD Shorty owned since day one.
Sold Feb 2007 with 193k miles.

skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Nice little camper , man i miss my Apache Eagle . It folded up into a little 5' x 8' box & only weighed about 1000 lbs loaded .
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

astronut74
I sleep in my van

Post by astronut74 »

While that is a sweet setup, I can imagine it would fetch a pretty penny getting one. Especially since the company that makes them is in Australia :yikes: (imagine the shipping on that thing!!) I wonder if there is a comparable company stateside.... I'll have to check into that later..
Steve O

94 2WD Astro EXT
179,000 miles and counting
Going from an 8 seater to a 4 seater

scootermcb
I am merely driving my van

Post by scootermcb »

phr1$k37 wrote:
You need to tell your wife that a hard-side or whatever she wants really only slows the bear down for like 10 seconds or so ... just enough time for you to notice you are wetting your pants >.< Unless the bears in US differ from those in Canada? :poke:
My '72 Winnie will slow down the bears (US or Canadian)a bit longer than the time it'd take to finish my coffee, rack the sllde on my Mossberg 500 and send that bear back to Yosemite with Yogi.... :muhaha:
winnebago1.jpg
winnebago1.jpg (28.89 KiB) Viewed 5688 times
Attachments
wiinebago2.jpg
wiinebago2.jpg (29.47 KiB) Viewed 5685 times
1989 Astro CS 4.3l 5 pass AM/FM 6CD player

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Ok not trying to be rude ... but you are joking me right?
Have you ever seen a bear who is in destroy-mode not "play mode" and annihilate anything in its path!? I have. Still dont know which I rather come face to face with, bear on a hunt or a mountain lion on the prowl. Well neither 8-[
97' Safari AWD SLT - Nicknamed "Princess" cause of all the TLC she begs from me!

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

phr1$k37 wrote:
Ok not trying to be rude ... but you are joking me right?
Have you ever seen a bear who is in destroy-mode not "play mode" and annihilate anything in its path!? I have. Still dont know which I rather come face to face with, bear on a hunt or a mountain lion on the prowl. Well neither 8-[
My buddy ran across a black bear on the war path up in shuswop while he was living there. Said the SOB went right through the front door like it wasn't even there. His room mates Mini 14 stopped it pretty quick tho.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Just a black bear .. 600pounds? Get a Kodiak to run through LOL Hmm is the mini-14 just a 5.56? I am surprised that killed the bear ... or you mean it scared him off?

Topic author
astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Ah...its campin time

Post by astrozam »

EDIT: For those interested in debating Bear deterrants just skip down to posts 7 thru 10, :poke:

potskie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by potskie »

phr1$k37 wrote:
Just a black bear .. 600pounds? Get a Kodiak to run through LOL Hmm is the mini-14 just a 5.56? I am surprised that killed the bear ... or you mean it scared him off?

First 2 rounds tried to scare it off. That didn't work so he dumped the rest of the magazine into various parts of the bears body.
Image 98 Safari RWD. Stock.
Do you smell what Barack is cookin ?!?!

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

potskie wrote: First 2 rounds tried to scare it off. That didn't work so he dumped the rest of the magazine into various parts of the bears body.

That is what I thought! Kind of sucks I do not have any photos so show for all our adventures ... my friends just suck at picking up the camera and I am the one driving all the time. A charging bear is a sight to see - that is if you dont wet your pants first hehe.

Ok back on topic because I think now it grew from post 7-10, skip 11 to 12 and 13 :cheers:

Nice camper! We see a lot of trailer campers out here in BC folks who come from out of town. I guess with our living style here it be hard to find a place to park as well. Our ASV meet back in the summer for BBQ there were the folks with their white Astro + camper who happen so to show up hahha.

scootermcb

Post by scootermcb »

Yes, I was kidding........I put WAY too much work into that old girl to want to see her destroyed by a bear.....
It was just an excuse to show off pics of the Winnie!
But since we're on the bear subject-here's a few pics of the one I snuck up on (literally) afew streets from my house. He was wanderng around our town for a while until the DEP and Police cornered him and made him take a nap. He's a little guy-weighed in around 200 lbs. Note the guy on the second floor balcony. Small bear, but consdering where I live.....
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hamden,+C ... 1&ct=title
Attachments
front view.jpg
FH000011a.jpg
FH000006a.jpg
FH000006a.jpg (71.7 KiB) Viewed 5566 times
1989 Astro CS 4.3l 5 pass AM/FM 6CD player

phr1$k37
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by phr1$k37 »

Well the bear might as well hop on in for dinner! :D Looks like a friendly one being only small at 200lbs :-k